Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Cloning - EU!

Options
  • 22-09-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This Wednesday we are going to clone some of our busiest servers to help spread the load around and to reduce queuing times. Please note however that this is not a solution for a server where only one side has queues; it will only be used when the entire server is too full to avoid issues with the population balance. The servers that we will be cloning are as follows:

Karak Eight Peaks will be cloned to Tor Anroc
    Karak Azgal will be cloned to Zhufbar
    Karak Hirn will be cloned to Yvresse
    Eltharion will be cloned to Tiranoc

Here is a quick explanation of how this process works:
    When we clone a server, we copy all the information of that server – all character data, guild data, zone information etc and copy it to a new server. This means that if you had a character on the original server, you will have the exact same character on the new server as well - he will have the same name, the same gear, the same items in his backpack and the same guild information. You can then choose, along with your friends whether you want to carry on playing on your original server or if you'd prefer to move across and play the version on the new server instead. Whichever you decide, the other copy of your character will remain so that if you change your mind later, it will be easy to move across.

Here is a quick example to illustrate the process. Let's say you have a level 25 Witch Hunter called Jorgen. He's in a guild called Malleus Maleficarum and he's Renown Rank 20. After the cloning process, there will be two identical copies of Jorgen, one will be on the original server that you chose when starting the game while the other will be on the new server. If you choose to play on the new server then you simply carry on where you left off with your level 25 Witch Hunter, if your friends join you then your entire guild remains intact and you can all carry on fighting together – the only difference is that this time there are no queues to log in! If you carry on adventuring with Jorgen on the new server then the 'original' Jorgen will still be on the first server at level 25, renown rank 20 etc the two versions do not both advance at the same time.

This system makes it easy to move servers but it is very important that you and your friends all discuss which of the two servers you will play on, this way your guild or alliance won't get split up and you can carry on playing together.

a hmmmm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

A hmmm indeed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im changing for sure.
    Sick of queue on eight peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

Great news!!! Really getting sick of the 40+ min queues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well why don't we stay and let everyone else move? I am sure the server will be reduced to a medium or high population once the cloning is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well why don't we stay and let everyone else move? I am sure the server will be reduced to a medium or high population once the cloning is finished.

And lets just hope loads of others don't have the same idea, but yeah a lot of pubbies will move to the cloned server but i'd say most of the bigger guilds will stay, could make it very nice to rvr. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

uhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Um, just give it a week and pick the one with the shortest queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

nesf wrote: »
    Um, just give it a week and pick the one with the shortest queue?
    Um, That won't work. Both you characters (original and clone) won't get levelled so you need to pick either the clone or original and then play that one, can't swap between them.

Tomorrow, Thursday, we will be cloning the busiest English servers so there will be another downtime at the same time tomorrow. We will keep you updated as to the progress of this operation but we expect that the servers will return by the early afternoon.
    ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

You can then choose, along with your friends whether you want to carry on playing on your original server or if you'd prefer to move across and play the version on the new server instead. Whichever you decide, the other copy of your character will remain so that if you change your mind later, it will be easy to move across.
    Judging by that, you can go back to your original server, or to the clone.. you just have to start off at whatever level you were when the server was cloned.

• Advertisement

KoKane wrote: »
    you just have to start off at whatever level you were when the server was cloned.
    Yeah that's what I meant (probably not clear though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Surely the best bet would be to wait a few days but continue playing on the servers your still on.
    And if everyone has the same idea and decides to stay then in a few days get everyone to move to the new server.
    Getting the better server in the long run is surely more beneficial than the 50/50 chance of missing out on a few days of levelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Frisbee wrote: »
    Getting the better server in the long run is surely more beneficial than the 50/50 chance of missing out on a few days of levelling...

Yeah, that would be my thinking. A few days of levelling when the game is just out isn't a big deal (i.e. spend the time trying out the other classes or whatever).

Servers are being cloned as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Servers are being cloned as I type.

I can see human rights groups picketing GOA for injecting stem cells into their servers already :D

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I can see human rights groups picketing GOA for injecting stem cells into their servers already :D
    I hope my Shaman isn't half goblin half donkey when I log on later :pac:

Advertisement