Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Proofing

Options
  • 22-09-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips on sound proofing or reducing the sound coming through the gap between a door and the skirting boards, if possible without replacing the door. Are there any products around which can help with this or what are the options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Token

Not exactly sure what you mean , is it to stop noise from other side of door (as in door stop) attached to frame ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Forgive me for my poor explanation, yeah its too stop sound from the other side of the door.
    As far as I can tell the biggest gap between the door and the frame is along the vertical part if that helps.

Hi Token,
    No need for appologies, I see where you are coming from. The first factor I would look at is what the door is made from, if its a solid door its about as good for sound isolation as possible but if its a cardboard compressed (hollow internal with outer hardboard moulded sheet)door it will not prevent much sound from travelling. The door stop which is the timber frame around which the door closes against is what i would also look at, if there is a big gap between it and the door when closed then you could remove it and replace against door and re-fix to door frame.

Alternatively you could use a rubber draught excluder strip available in any hardware store and place on inside of doorstop which will act as a seal around entire door (except bottom). There are various attachments for bottom of door as in metal strip with brush attached but sometimes dont look great on internal doors. Hope this helps you

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hi Builditwell, and sorry for kind of hijacking the thread, but fitting doorstops is one of those finishing-off jobs that I have put on the long finger. Is there a standard size timber used for the doorstop?
    I have solid pine doors, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Hi Token,
    No need for appologies, I see where you are coming from. The first factor I would look at is what the door is made from, if its a solid door its about as good for sound isolation as possible but if its a cardboard compressed (hollow internal with outer hardboard moulded sheet)door it will not prevent much sound from travelling. The door stop which is the timber frame around which the door closes against is what i would also look at, if there is a big gap between it and the door when closed then you could remove it and replace against door and re-fix to door frame.

Alternatively you could use a rubber draught excluder strip available in any hardware store and place on inside of doorstop which will act as a seal around entire door (except bottom). There are various attachments for bottom of door as in metal strip with brush attached but sometimes dont look great on internal doors. Hope this helps you

Regards
    Builditwell

First of all thanks for th repsonse and the info, yeah its a solid timber door, just some large gaps between it and the frame but I think I will into the draught excluders, thanks again.

• Advertisement

Hi Noby

The doorstop timber is pretty standard its generally p.a.o and is 1/2" inch by 1 & 5/8" of an inch(12mm by 40mm). When you are buying look for lengths around 17ft if possible as you will get 1 full door from each length (2 sides @ 6ft6" and top rail @ 2ft6"(or whatever width door is). For fitting once you are happly with closing mechanism of latch I lock the door and fit doorstop against closed door. Then pin in place it gives a nice tight joint between door and frame.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Cheers BIW.

Advertisement