Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

250cc on motorway...

• 22-09-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'll be getting a bike in the next few month or two. Like a lot of first-timers I'd be aiming to pick up a low powered cruiser to keep insurance costs reasonable, possibly the Yamaha Virago 250.

My commute to work would involve a fair bit of motorway travel, mostly on the M50, and I'd be a bit concerned as to whether these type of bikes would be powerful/fast enough to ride safely on a motorway.

I'd be grateful for any insight.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd say it probably is...a 125 can do 50mph easily and up to 60 or 70 mph depending on the bike so a 250 should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi there,
    I'll be getting a bike in the next few month or two. Like a lot of first-timers I'd be aiming to pick up a low powered cruiser to keep insurance costs reasonable, possibly the Yamaha Virago 250.

My commute to work would involve a fair bit of motorway travel, mostly on the M50, and I'd be a bit concerned as to whether these type of bikes would be powerful/fast enough to ride safely on a motorway.

I'd be grateful for any insight.

Cheers!

If your driving the M50 you don't need power or speed as the cars won't be going fast, unless you work shift.

As Fabio said, the bike should be fast enough to get over 100km/h so you shouldn't an issue on the road. Just take a position on the road where cars have to move out of lane to pass not try and sneek by in lane if you can't keep up with traffic.

You do realise that you aren't licenced to drive on the M50 or any motorway till you pass your A test.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I have a DragStar 250 and the motorways are fine. You should be able to hit 110kmph comfortably and have a bit left for overtaking depending on the condition of the bike.

But as the man said watch ur road position and stay central to ur lane not to let cars sneak by.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Del2005 wrote: »
    You do realise that you aren't licenced to drive on the M50 or any motorway till you pass your A test.
    This is the most important point. The bike would be fine, but a provisional licence wont be. And if you are fully road legal, youll be wearing a big dayglo bib advertising the fact you are a learner to the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Oryx wrote: »
    This is the most important point. The bike would be fine, but a provisional licence wont be. And if you are fully road legal, youll be wearing a big dayglo bib advertising the fact you are a learner to the gardai.

+1

• Advertisement

I've never seen one of those bib things about....seen plenty with no L on them but none with an L stuck to it....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Fabio wrote: »
    I've never seen one of those bib things about....seen plenty with no L on them but none with an L stuck to it....
    It is a requirement, but not too many comply :) they tend to be bought and worn on test day and thats it.

hahah! Well I rode my bike for the first time tonight (first ever ride on a public road with my own bike!) and had a hi-viz vest on and I'll wear it in daylight too. It's good for people to see you imo but a big L on it would look ridiculous and could even make me into a target...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OP what mileage will you being doing each day? I used to have a Virago and had to top up the tank every 100-120 miles or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Thanks for responses.

I appreciate the license restrictions, but this situation won't be comin up till early December or so, so I've a bit of time to fit in another few lessons and have a stab at the test.

Not sure how long the commute would be, as I'm not sure where I'll be living at that stage, but work is out in at the airport, and I'll possibly be based in Leopardstown, so that would make it approx (by my admitedly dodgy calculations) 30k via M50....

• Advertisement

Thanks for responses.

I appreciate the license restrictions, but this situation won't be comin up till early December or so, so I've a bit of time to fit in another few lessons and have a stab at the test.

Not sure how long the commute would be, as I'm not sure where I'll be living at that stage, but work is out in at the airport, and I'll possibly be based in Leopardstown, so that would make it approx (by my admitedly dodgy calculations) 30k via M50....

If your living there, or anywhere around there, it may be quicker to go through town. Go up the N11, cross the East link then out the old airport road. Pick wide main roads, with bus lanes;), so you can filter safely and then you won't have to worry about licence issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for responses.

So a round trip would be about 60km a day? Bare in mind you will prob be topping up your petrol tank every 2 days on the virago. Might be worth considering something with a bigger tank for convenience?

Del2005 wrote: »
    If your living there, or anywhere around there, it may be quicker to go through town. Go up the N11, cross the East link then out the old airport road. Pick wide main roads, with bus lanes;), so you can filter safely and then you won't have to worry about licence issues.

Bikes are allowed use bus lanes are they? Didn't know that...handy!

As for fuel tank size - my Innova's tank is only 4 litres!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭gipi

I hope you appreciated the importance of the smiley in Del2005's reply - spoke to someone recently who had a court visit as a result of being stopped in a bus lane...!! Bikers are not legally allowed to ride in bus lanes, though many do, but you run the risk of meeting a Garda who'll apply the letter of the law!

If you hope to take your test pre-December, you should be applying now - waiting lists can run to months depending on where you want to do your test.

And ridiculous-looking or not, the L-tabard is the law, which may be punishable by a €1000 fine. (I'm a fellow learner, and yes, I do wear one, L plate included!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I've had my dragstar 250 on the motorway plenty of times it tops out at 130kmph so you should be fine. I have a full license, a bit of experience, a star rider cert and a vis vest and would advise you to start taking it a bit more seriously in order to enjoy it in the long term.

It's Ironic that you want to go low power for low insurance and then want to go on a motorway....did you ever think about why insurance is high :)

I don't want to a kill Joy I just advise to take it seriously, take a course, get the full license, wear the vest - as the experience comes you can enjoy more

gipi wrote: »
    I hope you appreciated the importance of the smiley in Del2005's reply - spoke to someone recently who had a court visit as a result of being stopped in a bus lane...!! Bikers are not legally allowed to ride in bus lanes, though many do, but you run the risk of meeting a Garda who'll apply the letter of the law!

Where they done for anything other then bus lane use? I've a friend who's a courier and they're stopped loads but never get done.

gipi wrote: »

If you hope to take your test pre-December, you should be applying now - waiting lists can run to months depending on where you want to do your test.

And ridiculous-looking or not, the L-tabard is the law, which may be punishable by a €1000 fine. (I'm a fellow learner, and yes, I do wear one, L plate included!).

I don't plan on doing the test anytime too soon cos my Innova has an automatic clutch and as such I cannot do the test on it and I don't have the money for a different machine.

€1000 fine you say? Wow...I knew that was for pillion passengers alright but not for a silly L target, sorry tabbard! :P

Advertisement