Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calcium in tank

Options
  • 22-09-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

So I need a bit of advice.
    I had to move and couldn't have fish for a few weeks.
    I cleaned the tank out with cold water and a brush yesterday, even though it was spotless when in use.
    24hours later i have a spotless tank at 27degrees containing only fresh water treated with API "stress zyme" and "stress coat", the clean filter, the heater and an operating airstone... nothing else. The filter is roughly overkill by 25% for the tank so that's not a problem
    The sides of the tank were covered in hard white calcium this evening which i scraped off but it hasn't really dissolved, resting at the bottom and clouding the water a tiny bit.
    I've come from a hard water area to a soft one.

Is there a treatment for this or will I just give it time? I don't fancy draining and refilling again before I restock with fish unless I really have to. Thanks folks!

Rory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you were in a hard water area, Rory123, could it be lime on the tank, not calcium? When I lived in a hard water area, lime made hard, white deposits on everything I washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I have seen this type of occurence when using something like pH-down.
    I thought lime deposit occurs on the glass during evaporation. Funny you have some covering the bottom of your tank.
    Maybe you should get your water hardness tested.
    I hope you get sorted :-)

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

If it's a hardness issue, you have several options.

1 - keep hard water fish such as Malawi Cichlids
    2 - add lots of bogwood and use peat filtration to lower hardness and PH, very unstable and makes your water turn a tea colour.
    3 - Use RO water.
    4 - Collect rain water for tank use.
    5 - Use bottled water with good parameters.

Get your water tested at a pet store or test some your self with a good test kit.

Advertisement