Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Darkbox 9000

• 22-09-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

coming out in time for christmas hd and linux:cool:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Buy a dreambox instead much more dev work and support for it. I have a DM800 and its the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Buy a dreambox instead much more dev work and support for it. I have a DM800 and its the business
    Still quite expensive no? Is all software running as good as it does on its predecessors or are there bugs?
    How much is the Darkbox 9000 going to sell for?

Few small bugs but generally working a treat. Just use a good image and CCCcam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

oh man, there was a major backlash on a few forums over this one. Lots of people got banned and lots of upset people run a good old flame wars. Anyhow, bottom line is check for yourself other forums and see what support or rather a lack of it is there for Darkbox HD. So now they come with this one and all sorts of claims of what will it be able to do.

All i can say to you is make sure you check and check again that features you are looking for are there at the time of your purchase. DO NOT trust any bull**t rumors and promises coming from vested interests.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd say wait a long while after the Darkbox 9000 Super Linux Extra Massive Max IPTV :D is released a while before purchasing.

I've read that some believe it won't be able to support Enigma, though the "developer" says it'll support some sort of variation.

If the box does turn out to be as good as it supposedly will be..., it'd be a good box, considering it's apparently twin tuner.

NB:
    Of course, no discussion about anything illegal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

AND COMPLIMINT TI WETH MOTOER METAL GEARS.

oh man, there was a major backlash on a few forums over this one. Lots of people got banned and lots of upset people run a good old flame wars. Anyhow, bottom line is check for yourself other forums and see what support or rather a lack of it is there for Darkbox HD. So now they come with this one and all sorts of claims of what will it be able to do.

All i can say to you is make sure you check and check again that features you are looking for are there at the time of your purchase. DO NOT trust any bull**t rumors and promises coming from vested interests.

Never a better word said, certain sites that have an interest in this box will push this box much more. For a truely open source box get the DM800 or the DM8000 whenever that is released

byte

At well over a grand, I can't see the DM8000 being a big seller!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

byte wrote: »
    At well over a grand, I can't see the DM8000 being a big seller!
    No me either

decdev wrote: »
    No me either

Agreed it will be expensive but count me in for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

it's gonna be great, can't wait for the 8000.

it's not gonna be well over a grand, it's not even gonna be 1 grand, more like 800 max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

a boards member posting recently saying he was offered it a discount price of 800euros after beta testing!

The ipbox sorry darkbox sorry ipbox is just a rebranded ipbox 9000 but jesus those alsat members are funny. They think its going to be the best thing since slice pan and if Darkman says its going to support CCcam then its going to support cccam. While darkman justs spouts albanian-english thats hard to understand.

It'll support enigma once another team/ipbox port it over and then alsat edit the image.

The dm800 is out of stock on nearly every german site for some reason. Looking to get one now myself but looks for the cheapest way to get one and with a 320gb hd seperately.

Or get a clone... ;)

have they cloned the 800 yet?

They have the 600 cloned anyways and the 800 wouldnt be much different apart from the dvb-s2 tuner

Aye they have but I fear anymore talk will get this closed !

Nothing will get closed, unless you start talking about prohibited topics.
    Mods here are very reasonable and to be honest the best mods i have come across. I have accounts on lots of forums and on some i have been banned without warning just for making a mistake and posting in wrong section. You will find mods here to be very reasonable and very helpful.

Except for that Byte fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I wouldnt touch anything that the chancer 'Darkman' has a paw on.
    All of his receivers are just clones or rebadged OEM products.

well all he needs is those low IQ alsat members to buy it and he's laughing

His latest post

"1. YCbCr : 4:4:2 is supported.
    2. Blindscan is supported. But you have to buy another Tuner.
    - we are using now Samsung Tuner that do not support Blindscan.
    - Sharp Tuner can support Blindscan. So we are developing now with Sharp tuner.
    Tuners we will sell separatly like S-T_C and thouse will be Plug and play.Enybady like change or add new tuner is welcome.
    - Later if you change just the Tuner, it is going well.
    3. Mpeg4 DVB-T is supported."

and the usual follow ups

"The news just gets better and better!! Great stuff Darkman!! "

"Got to say im drooling from the mouth

Spec is so good i dont see anything missing from it "

It wont support cc*am out of the box
    It wont play divx/xvid out of the box
    It wont be able to handle 4.2.2 feeds

But hey the darkbox 9000 2009 rev13 will

LOL @ kaisersose77. :D

• Advertisement
    byte

Except for that Byte fella.
    Ronan|Raven banned! :D

byte

Would be inclined to agree with kaisersoze.

In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the Darkbox HD series still has not got the promised PVR functionality, along with other issues.

If the aforementioned features would be available in a month or so after launch, then why not straight away? Maybe coz it won't be possible?

And is it really a Linux box? I'm sceptical due to it having HDMI port (from what I understand, because Dreambox is full-on Linux, they couldn't get a licence to use HDMI ports, so made do with DVI).

Regarding this topic: I'll let it run for now, as long as discussion is kept within the realms of being legal. I'd be wary of discussion regarding the soft-cam mentioned above. Also, I'd prefer if no single person's were singled out, even if it is just an online nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cpslane

Can anyone tell me what kind of money would a DM800hd PVR set me back.
    i have tried looking but not found a price for this model online.
    And if anyone has one is it worth the call it my XMas present excuse with the wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

it's 5-550 in satworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

don't get me started on that XX fella ... :D kaisersose77 has pretty much summed up my feelings ....

As regards to fully blown linux ??? not sure here, we have currently IpBox 9000 with HDMI and Kathrein UFS910 with HDMI ... but they are not fully opened Linux (as far as drivers are concerned its pretty much a closed shop)

The darkbox will be , i suspect, a rebadged clone of the Ab IPbox 9000, i know a team that develops images for the 9000 and things are not as easy as it may seem ... so i would assume that all the promises from the darkbox will be just that ..promises, past history with these darlboxes should teach us that all that glistens isn't gold ...

Also, if as we suspect it maybe a IPbox9000 clone, then it will not support X. X has not been developed for SH4 processors and does not appear to be likely... Also Enigma2 works on Kathrein UFS910 (SH4 processor) albeit in a very beta state ... it works but is not overly stable and X does not work on a ported Enigma 2 ...

I for one will pass on this

The only advice i can give is to wait and if price is right then make double sure that features you are looking for are there and working at the time of YOUR purchase. Call shop and ask if feature is there and working. Check with shop that if you get the receiver and feature is not there that you can get a full refund, not a credit note but a full refund. If you can get this in writing even better.

Do not fall for "in next update" or "next month" . If its in "next update" then hold your purchase until then.

I'm only giving this advise due to my experience with Darkbox HD. I can see that lots of us have purchased Darkbox HD and advertised feature are not working. If you look at October 2008 issue of What Sat magazine Darkbox HD is advertised as eSata PVR, it even has a picture of external HDD. PVR DOES NOT WORK. Manufacture has problems writing drivers for the sata drives and PVR has been promised in May this year but nothing so far and i'm skeptical that after 6 months of development they still can not write a drivers..

All i'm saying that distributor in the past hasn't been fully honest about its product so it would make sense to be careful when making your purchase, do your homework and everything will be fine.

This board is excellent source of independent opinions and advices. Mods have "soft touch" and allow healthy discussion to develop as long as it doesn't get too personal. Other forums have been hijacked by vested interest groups in very coordinated manners as soon as someone said something critical of this product range. We have to thank our mods for good work here. Byte , you are doing great job here, never mind what Raven said about you. :D:p (joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Great debate fellas good info all round;)

cpslane wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what kind of money would a DM800hd PVR set me back.
    i have tried looking but not found a price for this model online.
    And if anyone has one is it worth the call it my XMas present excuse with the wife?

out of stock on most german sites (cheapest place to get them), but just ordered one a few days ago from a german power seller on ebay for about 450 delivered.

search dm800 on ebay.de

The dm8000hd is going to be extorniate and even if the 800hd goes down it price, it still wont going down an awful lot as they know they can sell them at any price they want.

i just have a look at that alsat forum to have a laugh, alsat can do no wrong with these sort of people below

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taktas
    is this re-branded ab ip box 9000hd?

Why is this so important?
    Quite a few receivers are re-branded X,Y or Z. When Darkman and the Alsat/Eagle teams get their hands on them, they enter a whole new league

Iredon"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

They are a funny bunch .... :D

But i'll answer the question truthfully,

Yes, its a rebadged DG Station Cuberevo also know as an AB Ipbox 9000 also known as a darkbox9000.

CVS is still owned and updated in Korea by the DG team ... so any updates to the CVS will be good to the cuberevo and IpBox... if you want damn good support on the IPBox 9000 try satkings (put them in google) they offer support on this box and also itgate boxes. They develop images for these aswell ... they know whats going on and will not feed you crap just to buy the box ...

I have no affinity to them apart from being an itgate owner .. and they know what they are doing ...

So if you want one of these boxes now, then you know where to go :D

Advertisement