Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VTEC or not?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've just got a cheap 1996 honda civic 3dr hatch as a second car, its a 1.5 and the engine number is D15B. Ive read on the net that the D15B engine is a 3 stage vtec with about 130bhp but this car just seems very slow, ive been in a mates sir civic (I know the SOHC dont really compare to the DOHC vtec) and in his car the kick out of the engine when the vtec kicked in was unreal.

Does anyone know if the D15B engine came in non vtec, which if it did, im assuming thats what my car is. Or are all D15B engines vtec and the vtec on mine is just not working properly?

(Oh, and it doesn't say vtec anywhere on the engine)

Any help and opinions appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SOHC VTEC is completely different to DOHC, the SOHC was designed for economy and so you wont have any kick or any roar from the "VTEC" and you wont have any power either since the car was designed for economy and not speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

iam in the same boat ive looked and asked and there is a mixed whether they are or not.. mine has a bit of a kick at 4500rpm so iam not sure tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You're not gonna notice a thing from a sohc vtec as they're not fast..

Think that bhp only comes into the top speed really.

iam in the same boat ive looked and asked and there is a mixed whether they are or not.. mine has a bit of a kick at 4500rpm so iam not sure tbh.

They are VTEC but its the SOHC version of VTEC which is NOT designed for speed, there will be no kick as there is only a single overhead cam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

my vtec kicks in at about mid 6's.

have a vtec controller but messing around with the vtec = costing a fortune on petrol!!

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my vtec kicks in at about mid 6's.

have a vtec controller but messing around with the vtec = costing a fortune on petrol!!

Vtec controllers are a bit pointless because you don't get the right mixture of air and fuel..

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Vtec controllers are a bit pointless because you don't get the right mixture of air and fuel..

yeh they only change the point at which the vtec kicks in, which is set at the optimal point from the factory anyway so its pointless changing it and as ClioV6 said your feul and air ratio will be all wrong so you'll be running too lean or too rich, neither of which are good for the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

well its an apexi vafc which im told is THE only one to be considered when using one. its currently sitting in my kitchen.

dunno whther to put it back in.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    well its an apexi vafc which im told is THE only one to be considered when using one. its currently sitting in my kitchen.

dunno whther to put it back in.

You'd be told by those better informed that the only one to use doesn't exist..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

dont go messing with the vtec, leave it where it is as the lads said its set at that point for a reason. SOHC civic are very tunable they take very well to forced induction, i know a couple of people building 1.5 turbos. in the states the limits of the SOHC have been pushed very high so dont let anyone tell you they cant be fast ;) once your willing to throw some money at it.

Now get some pics of your car up, i love EG`s, what model is it? is it a jap vti??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Linky Link

Who said SOHC's* cant be fun? ;)

*****ty old honda civics!

just buzzing

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

draffodx wrote: »
    They are VTEC but its the SOHC version of VTEC which is NOT designed for speed, there will be no kick as there is only a single overhead cam

ah right thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 packiepa

Is your car a jap import ek3 chasis? if so then your car is most likely the ri model which a D15B Non vtec, you can check the badge under the bonnet , its blue. i have a 1996 jap import and thats what is in my car,

Advertisement