Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus P5k Deluxe issues with 1066Mhz

• 22-09-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Right, where to begin....

I recently experience some issues to do with my p5k deluxe mobo and some Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Ram.
    The machine was working fine for months then all of a sudden it decided not to post anymore. The thing is that all the system fans were running at full speeds. After googling the issue i came accross this FIX so after trying some generic pc5300 memory I got it to post, adjusted the timings on the ram, and Presto it worked again.
    Then just recently after playing Spore it started to act up again, but it got significantly worse. It required a change of the settings each time to Post.

My solution after fixing it previously was to just avoid shutting it off. However, inevitably I had to today when fixing someone elses machine (the irony!) so now the machine is refusing to boot with the Ballistix memory.

I've already convinced myself to RMA the board since it was bought back in December, but I am wondering if anyon had any similar issues with their hardware (P5k or otherwise). It appears to be something to do with the P35 chipset going on what I've read.

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    Asus P5k Deluxe -Wifi/AP
    Crucial Ballistix pc8500 1066Mhz
    Geforce 8800GT 512MB
    Samsung Spingpoint p120s

Ram Timing: 5-5-5-15 @ 1066Mhz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Same mobo, very similar specs see sig, slower PC8000 ram but overclocked to PC8500 speeds (1066mhz, see pic) at the moment at 3.0Ghz. Absolutely no issues with mine m8. Which bios u using?

63674.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Presently it's 0812

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Hi doodee!
    you probably have done it already, but what does memtest86 say?
    I've used p5* based motherboards before and they seem pretty solid, I'm betting its dodgy ram, did you try removing one stick at a time to see if the errors reproducible?

Try the other slots? Try 1 stick at a time? Try buying new ram and selling those sticks

There is no way of running memtest with those sticks.

The machine does not post with the higher spec'd memory.
    It appears to be a fairly well known and Common issue.

I will give other ram a try, but i have a sneaking sucpision that it will continue to happen.

• Advertisement

I've tried PC5300 and I've just now tried PC6400 similar Ballistix. It works with both.

I do not have another machine to test the PC8500 though. I have a feeling that there would be no problems, especially since it was broken then fixed. From what I am reading online it doesn't look like Asus has great support for its motherboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah this is a common problem with that board and some others and 8500. Its the reason i didnt buy it. Simple solution is to swap the ram with 6400/7200/8000. There is a old work around which is to stick in the slower ram and get it to boot. Then go back into the bios and write down all the timings for the ram and swap in the 8500. But i think that wont work here.

I find asus support fine, ive had to rma my board recently as i bricked it when overclocking, asus shipped one out to me straight away with no need to receive mine first. But i suppose that depends which of the tech's you get and if their having a good day. I'm guessing the one i got must have been having a great day !

Up on adverts with them and buy a new set of PC8000's, ram is dirt cheap ATM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I don't have the same board as your self but its close

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe -Wifi, and mine also has Ram issues. First day of using my new mobo i had about 15 Blue Screen's & 5 to 10 freeze. Was pulling my hair out and trying everything in bios to get it fixed. Anyways i read on the Asus site that on my mobo you need to up the CPU & Ram Voltage to get it stable. As the default settings is crap. Lots of people having the same problem as my self. Hope this will sort out my problems but if i get another Blue Screen im going to cry.

Before you rule out getting these sticks to work, have you tried manually setting the timings to 5-5-5-15 and manually setting the dram voltage to 2.1V?

• Advertisement

yes.

I tried all of the above before posting.

Timing had been set at 5-5-5-15 and 5-5-5-18 configuarations. Also tried the Ram set to 2.2v after it fixed problems someone else was experiencing, but no Joy.

Manties, you are right, that was what i discovered when i first started googling the problem. And was how i got it to work originally, but the problem seemed to worsen from there.

Funnily enough it was after installing Spore and playing it for some time that the problems really manifested themself. Thats when i couldn't Shutdown without having to swap out the ram.

I've decided to just RMA the board and move on to something new. Any recommendations? [Edit] Must fit new Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Are you wanting to go crossfire or sli, or just a single card solution? Im guessing you want to keep with Ddr2 aswell ? If you want a ncie stable boards that has some awesome options and is known as one of the best overclockers and most stable boards around check out the asus board in my sig.

SLI preferably

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I don't have the same board as your self but its close

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe -Wifi, and mine also has Ram issues. First day of using my new mobo i had about 15 Blue Screen's & 5 to 10 freeze. Was pulling my hair out and trying everything in bios to get it fixed. Anyways i read on the Asus site that on my mobo you need to up the CPU & Ram Voltage to get it stable. As the default settings is crap. Lots of people having the same problem as my self. Hope this will sort out my problems but if i get another Blue Screen im going to cry.

Interesting.

They replaced the board with the Asus P5Q3 - Deluxe .

Have you had any other issues since? I'm wondering weither to hang onto it or just get a different brand altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Ya i have it working and stable now. My ram is the problem but lots of other people depending on what ram u were using had same probs as me. People that even bought the ram that the motherboard says it works well with, had same probs. But as i all ready spent 175 odd on my 4gigs im hanging onto them for now.

A guy working for OCZ posted up a bios setting that he had working 24/7 with out any blue screen or freezing. I had to do about 30 odd bios setting changes then save and its worked fine since.

I found out that Asus support is kind of crap unless you e-mail them. It also took people out side of Asus to get this issue some way sorted. But this issue will never go away unless Asus updates the bios to a working Bios for all ram, or if i go and change my ram :).

Apart from that no outer issues. I would do a google search about your problems. Im sure you will find what is causing your problem and maybe even find how to resolve it. Took me a long time, to some way sort mine which im not happy about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

This just fcuked me sideways this evening.

PC running fine for a year and a half, stops booting. No bios screen on boot up.

Ram: OCZ reaper 1066Mhz x 4 one gig sticks.
    Mobo: Asus p5k deluxe

Of course after stripping everything out, testing with spare gfx card etc: I am looking at either the CPU or mobo in my mind.

Test the cpu in my mates rig and it worked perfectly, on a whim I borrowed his ram remembering this issue: PC booted first time.

Test my ram in his PC: ram is fubar. His pc won't boot.
    Have ordered 4gig of pc6400 crucial balistix for €70.
    Majorly pissed as the ocz reaper ram cost me a blind fortune when I built.

So i am running on a borrowed 2 gig stick thanks to my mate.

Honestly don't know if the ram died due to too much voltage or wtf. Think I had it running at around 2.2v, ram is rated to take 2.3v. Ram fecked to the side now.

not under warrenty no?

Your mates rig capable of using that Reaper stuff?

tbh, from my experience it was possibly the board.
    I've had no issues with the new board i got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Doodee wrote: »
    not under warrenty no?

Your mates rig capable of using that Reaper stuff?

tbh, from my experience it was possibly the board.
    I've had no issues with the new board i got.

Mates rig has an Asus x38 rampage mobo: should be no issues with using 1066mhz ram.

It's a bit worrying that with my ram in his pc his pc would not boot either.
    (granted he did remove x2 sticks out of 4 and try boot again and this failed, could be a case of just one stick gone southon me.)

At this stage I am willing to throw €70 at the problem to def fix it.
    I will get around to testing the ram properly at some stage

Advertisement