Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Nigerian Companies Want To Buy Newcastle

• 22-09-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

Nigerian consortium raises funds for Newcastle United bid
    · Group of companies claims to have secured £350m
    · DIC rules out a bid for northeast club

A consortium of wealthy Nigerians is planning to take over Newcastle United, according to reports in Africa. Owner Mike Ashley is trying to find a buyer for the club after announcing he wants to sell his stake just 16 months after staging a £134.4m takeover, but he has so far been unsuccessful in securing a sale. However, a Nigerian company claims it has £350m and is bidding to secure more cash to fund a takeover bid.

Chris Nathaniel, the chief executive of NVA Management, whose company is handling the deal, said he is hopeful of making Nigeria the first African country to own a Premier League club. "I have been working hard to get wealthy and football-loving Nigerian entrepreneurs to buy the club since Mike Ashley indicated his willingness to sell to the person, people or entrepreneurs who can meet the £400m selling price of the club," he said.

"I am happy to tell you that well-meaning Nigerians have responded and the consortium of Nigerian entrepreneurs has so far contributed £350m to buy the club. Ashley has stood his ground that he won't sell the club until the money is raised to the asking price of £400m ... we need to raise another £50m or £100m to shut the door behind the top Arab companies who are also interested in the club. The Arab companies have also indicated interest and made offers — but they haven't met the asking price."

Dubai International Capital, which has previously been linked with bids for Liverpool, has ruled itelf out of the running, saying it is not "planning a bid for any football club".

Who else think that Mike ashley got an email saying something like....

Hello MAshley@hotmail.com

I am the former defence minister of Nigeria.
    There has been a coup in my country however, and I wish to get my money out quickly.
    I have hidden the money in a number of subsiduery companies, and would like to get it out by buying your club.
    Please respond quickly, wih all of your bank details, as I need a response quickly.

Thank you Mr MAshley@hotmail.com

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Who else think that Mike ashley got an email saying something like....

Hello MAshley@hotmail.com

I am the former defence minister of Nigeria.
    There has been a coup in my country however, and I wish to get my money out of the country.
    I have hidden the money in a number of subsiduery companies, and would like to get it out by buying your club.
    Please respond quickly, wih all of your bank details, as I need a response quickly.

Thank you Mr MAshley@hotmail.com

:D

LMAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, it's more likely that Ashley is scam baiting the Nigerians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

astrofool wrote: »
    To be fair, it's more likely that Ashley is scam baiting the Nigerians.

QFT.

I don't know what to make of this. One the one hand, it's easy to scoff at Nigerian money, and tar a whole country with the one brush. So if they are serious, lets give the lads a look in ( I imagine many Irish people faced similar difficulties in being taken serious in the 30's, 40's, 50's etc. when they tried to invest in British and American industries).

However, if they are shysters, nothing in Ashley's past would suggest to me that he would do the right thing, and pass on the offer, sparing the fans more misery. In fact, he is probably feeling like a scolded dog at the moment, and is probably quite liable to pulling off such a stunt.

If I am being honest, I think the whole thing is a bit of a ruse, an attempt (and so far a successful one) to generate some free PR for this NVA group. Reminds me of that who tried buying United in the Early 90's, going as far as kitting out and kicking a few balls in front of the OT crowd, only for it to turn out he was absolutely brassic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Not as bad as Sunderland, they were taken over by a group of Irish beggars, drunks and thieves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

At least that scammed money is being pumped back into the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

CHD wrote: »
    At least that scammed money is being pumped back into the system

Ahhh, the circle of life!:)

Any update on this Charlie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

QFT.

If I am being honest, I think the whole thing is a bit of a ruse, an attempt (and so far a successful one) to generate some free PR for this NVA group. Reminds me of that who tried buying United in the Early 90's, going as far as kitting out and kicking a few balls in front of the OT crowd, only for it to turn out he was absolutely brassic.

The UFO-seeing Michael Knighton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Knighton

He did the next best thing and bought into Carlisle United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Any update on this Charlie?

The only thing is that Sky are stating that the Nigerians have now made official contact with Fatboy. However, if I have learned anything over the last month, it is that Sky's 'insider sources' are often well off the mark. They haven't added much more to that story since they broke with it early this morning, and they keep replaying a clip of one of their interviewers sh/tting on about it.

The only official word that has coe from the club over the lastfe days is that they have confirmed that they have hired Keith Harris (the chap who brought Abramovich and Thaskin to the EPL) to find a buyer, so I expect that efforts are now being made to sell the club. However, how long that takes is anyones guess.

The only thing is that Sky are stating that the Nigerians have now made official contact with Fatboy. However, if I have learned anything over the last month, it is that Sky's 'insider sources' are often well off the mark. They haven't added much more to that story since they broke with it early this morning, and they keep replaying a clip of one of their interviewers sh/tting on about it.

The only official word that has coe from the club over the lastfe days is that they have confirmed that they have hired Keith Harris (the chap who brought Abramovich and Thaskin to the EPL) to find a buyer, so I expect that efforts are now being made to sell the club. However, how long that takes is anyones guess.

Ah hope it works out for ye. Going to a few games this year :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Charlie McHugh, you'll get a 3 week ban if you break the forum rules again.

Everyone - if I see any racism or biggotry here, you'll get an auto 1 month ban, straight up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Seriously, no racism meant in any way possible on my acc.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

They need time to get another 50mil - 100mill to secure the buy. Seems like they wont have the money for investing into the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I would be surprised to see anything come of this offer tbh. The quotes attributed to Chris Nathaniel (Boss of NVA Management) just don't seem realistic to me. Bad times for Newcastle.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=880025

I don't see the yellow card offence in Charlies post, maybe it was edited out or something ??

Advertisement