Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use of GPS during test?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hey all, my GF has her test on thursday and she's wondering if it would be okay if she used her GPS thing as shes used to using it to check her speed as the cars speedo is in Mph the GPS displays the speed in KPH, would there be any issue with this? Obviously she won't be staring at it the whole time or anything :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's a new one for me! But i can't see why not, i mean a lot of cars these days come with sat nav as standard so i'd expect it would be okay. Although, i think it could act as a distraction, is there not even km/h marked on the inside of the speedo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OoSKYLINEoO

There is but it's quite small you see, i actually find it handy when i drive her car myself your eyes aren't off the road long at all. I suppose she'd be best to go without it just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are there any Km/h markings on the speedo?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

If the speedo is visible in km then It would act as a distraction. I wouldnt recommend it. Speaking of distractions,I was also told not to have any air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Testers do turn off the radio - so I'd imagine that the sat nav is a no no. However, I'd go in with it on, and wait for the tester to turn it off.

BTW, doesn't your girlfriend know the limits in mph?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dudara wrote: »
    doesn't your girlfriend know the limits in mph?
    +1

How has she managed so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

The Sat Nav's speed reading is not accurate compared to the car's own spedometer.

I'd imagine the rule which applies to sitting and passing in an automatic car (you have to sit and pass another test in a manual car if you subsequently want to drive one) would apply to relying on any other device which does not come as standard (in this case GPS).

She may be asked to switch it off, in which case she'll be fecked.

If she's looked at the car's speedo for even a short while she should know where the speeds are on the dial - km/h shouldn't be that small and if she can't read them then she should have prescription lenses!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Rough guide:

50kmph ~ 30mph
    60kmph ~ 40mph
    80kmph ~ 50mph
    100kmph ~ 60mph

If you stick to those your unlikely to fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

oneweb wrote: »
    The Sat Nav's speed reading is not accurate compared to the car's own spedometer.

I actually heard it was the other way round as most car spedo's tend to under estimate the speed and can be off by as much as 10% plus your speed can vary depending on how worn the cars tyres are so more people are using the sat nav speed to judge their actual speed as Sat Nav is set up to a correct speed indicator between two points, similar to certain types of speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A car should slightly over-estimate your speed. Thus if it says you're at 80kmph, you might actually be doing 78kmph - thus helping you to not break the speed limit.

Or so I was told....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

There is but it's quite small you see, i actually find it handy when i drive her car myself your eyes aren't off the road long at all. I suppose she'd be best to go without it just in case!

Good God. :pac: It's really not hard to see the KPH on those cars whereby MPH is the main unit of speed. Maybe she needs glasses, not GPS. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

oneweb wrote:
    It's the other way around!

Heroditas wrote: »
    A car should slightly over-estimate your speed. Thus if it says you're at 80kmph, you might actually be doing 78kmph - thus helping you to not break the speed limit.

Or so I was told....
    They usually overestimate by a lot more than that and I'd say part of the reason is to prevent legal claims from drivers claiming to have been with the speed limit as indicated in their speedometer. It's impossible for it to be accurate as it's based on the rolling circumference of the wheel. A wheel with a new tyre will have a different length to that of one with a tyre worn to the legal limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Whether the speedometer is accurate or not doesn't really matter - what matters is that is what the tester will be using to monitor your speed. So stay within the limit as on your speedometer and you'll have taken care of that aspect of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

A bit late now but.. Hope she passed!

Advertisement