Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest petrol in Kilkenny?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Anyone got any ideas where the cheapest petrol is around locally? Or noticed the prices starting to drop yet?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Callan petrol station at the top of the town is 119.9 for Unleaded, No idea for diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Cabaal wrote: »
    Callan petrol station at the top of the town is 119.9 for Unleaded, No idea for diesel

I think I remember hearing (on some radio station that was comparing petrol prices) that the cheapest place in ireland is some petrol station in Callan (if not Callan it was def in kilkenny) don't know if thats place mentioned above though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think I remember hearing (on some radio station that was comparing petrol prices) that the cheapest place in ireland is some petrol station in Callan (if not Callan it was def in kilkenny) don't know if thats place mentioned above though.

They could also be on about Unicol which is along the bypass, both places certainly are not the cheapest in Ireland, since March of this year atleast the Autoport on the Cork Road Waterford has been the cheapest by a long shot.

Its generally 10-3c cheaper then Tesco and the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's one in Urlingford that's usually the cheapest. Can't remember what its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

That's VIVO in Urlingford. According to pumps.ie it's 118.9 there at the moment.

Do they still sell petrol out of the Top depot in the Hebron Industrial Estate?

That used to be the cheapest around.

• Advertisement

Yeah they do but they only open during office hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

Thanks everyone. Thought I'd been getting a good deal at 1.24:( I really should listen when people tell me to shop around!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Stephen wrote: »
    There's one in Urlingford that's usually the cheapest. Can't remember what its called.

Joesephines/Apple and Walshs Amber in Woodsgift generally match them cent for cent, i.e. the Vivo Kavannaghs garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Is there any reason why petrol in the more rural areas seem to be 5-6 cent cheaper to those in city.

I expect if any of the city stations dropped their prices to arround the 1.19 mark then the rest would follow suit fairly quickly. There is not a whole lot of competition here and there is not much point in travelling to callan for petrol.

bennyob wrote: »
    Is there any reason why petrol in the more rural areas seem to be 5-6 cent cheaper to those in city.

I expect if any of the city stations dropped their prices to arround the 1.19 mark then the rest would follow suit fairly quickly. There is not a whole lot of competition here and there is not much point in travelling to callan for petrol.

Cause the petrol stations will say they pay higher rent etc :)
    That and because people are lazy and will rather pay the price at there station down the road while there driving around the city then go out to some town or village.

I'd agree traveling 10miles to Callan for cheaper petrol is perhaps extreme but then again I know people who have traveled to Kilkenny to get cheaper petrol over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Yeah, Urlingford is definitely the cheapest I've come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shaneio

Or if you are travelling to Dublin via Athy, there is a centra petrol station just outside Athy on the Dublin side, always ahead of the rest on price

Athy used to be pretty good alright. The King Oil place before the centra one used to keep prices down...but in the last few weeks, I've found the petrol in KK to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

I paid €1.24/L in Kilkenny. Drove through Carrick-On-Suir on my way to Clonmel (due to D'plowing etc), petrol in Carrick was €1.18/L. Same petrol company.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

Alzar wrote: »
    I paid €1.24/L in Kilkenny. Drove through Carrick-On-Suir on my way to Clonmel (due to D'plowing etc), petrol in Carrick was €1.18/L. Same petrol company.

What a sickener.

Drove through Dublin yesterday en route to KK and the prices between both cities are pretty well matched.

Saw a few touching 130c coming down (via Athy and Comer). Athy is not as competitive as it used to be! Prices in the old Statoil and Shell on the comer road were cheaper than all the petrol stations in Athy.

Luckily for me, the petrol in Ashbourne where I live now is down to 118.9 (at Apple Green and Topaz anyway)!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

How much is it in that top depot in Hebron? Is that open to the public. I always thought that was just for commercial use or something?

diesel at the esso depot near the army barracks seems to be around 5 cent cheaper than any of the stations.

i havn't passed it in a while so don't know the exact price.

It was 124.9 last time I passed it. The Top depot is usually a couple of cents cheaper than the nearby petrol stations, and it is open to the public.

the esso depot is open to the public. the missus has a diesel car and goes there all the time for a fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

lots of taxi's using texaco, blackquarry.must be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I use Blackquarry purely for convenience. Its the cheapest one close by. Its always a cent or two cheaper than Topaz (my local) for petrol.

Cheapest I've seen in town at the moment is Black Quarry, at 119.9 for petrol. Both the Topazes on the Comer Rd are charging more, and so is the Esso at Vicar st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

115.9 in Carlow yesterday. They dont have a Tesco petrol station, so why are prices lower there?

Callan is 116.9 for petrol and 119.9 for disel in Great Gas at the top of the town near the water tower, the petrol price is about 3c cheaper then Tesco's in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Came down through Urlingford yesterday and one at the south end was 114.8 and the other at north end was 114.9.

Don't forget to top up tomorrow - in all likelihood they're going to hammer us in the budget.

According to our Overlord of Doom, George Lee, he said it's likely that fuel won't be hit too hard in the budget to try keep inflation under wraps.

He did say that we can all expect a hike in road tax though :(

Ha - 8c/litre extra on petrol, along with a higher VAT rate. Glad I filled up today!

• Advertisement

got my last fill at 116.9 today, grr down with price rise :(

Advertisement