Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metero - 3g

• 23-09-2008 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

my meteor ohone is now showing a 3g signal... woo!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I'm pretty sure they enabled it at midnight, I had 3G disabled on my phone but tried enabling it at 00:25 and it registered. Too early to say if I'm having any problems yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I have it too!!! Full strength too yee haaaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭positron

Can't see 3g on my N95 8gb phone. Wonder if its the settings? I have set the Tools->Settings->Phone->Network->Network mode to 'Dual Mode'. But no 3g..! Switched to UMTS, and still no 3G signal - I am right next to OConnell St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Had a 3g Icon on my N95 8GB but it disappeared soon after.

Is Meteor still launching 3G on 26th of this month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

yeah it just appeared on my N95 this morning(dublin).
    So now, what can I do with it? Most of my data usage on meteor is opera, cabbage, twibble and other low data use apps. What would show off the 3G capability?

Ares wrote: »
    So now, what can I do with it? Most of my data usage on meteor is opera, cabbage, twibble and other low data use apps. What would show off the 3G capability?

Is the 3G icon staying on your phone? It disappeared off mine and when I ran a second network search the normal Meteor network no longer had the 3G icon.

It's like it was turned on momentarily & then turned off :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

its been on all morning. I havent touched any settings on my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Ares wrote: »
    http://m.youtube.ie should be a good example for streaming video.
    Or even http://www.blueapple.mobi/ which lets you search tons of video sites (including youtube) and converts them to 3gp to download to your phone. You're probably better off using the in-built browser instead of Opera Mini for those sites.

Or to see another good example of 3g, just make a video call to another 3g customer. The quality is surprisingly good when you've full coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Or to see another good example of 3g, just make a video call to another 3g customer. The quality is surprisingly good when you've full coverage.

Any idea how they are charging for video calls?
    Is it charged based on data or per minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Definitely not data, it never eats into my 99c a day thingy.
    Pretty sure the cost is about the same as a voice call but i haven't got confimation on that at all. I've had calls of two to three minutes only set me back 30-40 cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Thats reasonable enough...
    They were free during the trial IIRC which was great at times, but they seemed quite unreliable. Frequently didnt connect or got disconnected, and we were only accross the table from eachother trying it out!
    This was back in July when the trial had only started tho and 3g wasnt everywhere in the city. It may be improved now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Getting full 3G reception now in Cork. Tried Opera Mini and couldn't connect, yet when i quit out a 3.5g icon appeared. Nokia's own webkit browser seems slower than on edge. Strange.

I'm in Stillorgan/Sandyford and getting nothing now. They must be rolling it out incrementally

John_Mc wrote: »
    Had a 3g Icon on my N95 8GB but it disappeared soon after.

Is Meteor still launching 3G on 26th of this month?

A rep in their Henry Street store told me last Saturday that it was being launched today, he was dead right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Udo

hi-the video calling is the same price as your voice calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭positron

Just wanted to say the phone is now showing 3G. I didn't do anything since this morning..! Strange, but nice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm in Stillorgan/Sandyford and getting nothing now. They must be rolling it out incrementally
    my phone wasn't showing any difference, but then i manually searched for a network and found Meteor 3G, using that now and have my little 3G symbol on my phone. Maybe try that yourself?

Tauren wrote: »
    my phone wasn't showing any difference, but then i manually searched for a network and found Meteor 3G, using that now and have my little 3G symbol on my phone. Maybe try that yourself?

I have tried that but the network search returns Meteor with no 3G, and then Meteor with a 3G signal. Attempting to connection to the latter returns a "No Access" error message.

Emailed a friend working for Meteor and he said it should be up and running. Hopefully it'll happen soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I'm new to Meteor and I've a related question. Are the data charges an automatic 99c/day up to 50MB? I couldnt see it clearly on the website. I only use the Gmail app and the odd bit of opera mini (not daily - couple of times a week). Does this mean even a quick gmail check will cost me 99c regardless of the miniscule amount of data used? If so I don't think I'll be using that!

I tried it there and it seemed to charge me 99c but I cant be 100% sure as I forgot what my initial credit was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

VIDEO CALLS:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Pity about normal calls - In Louth complete Chaos all day - NO METEOR PHONES logged onto the 3G network can properly receive calls - standard out of coverage message or voicemail
    Perhaps on the 20th attempt one can get through
    Called Meteor support - we dont have 3G coverage there !!!!
    Yeah right
    Outgoing voice and vid OK - Data OK (although my Nokia E51 driver only goes to under a meg- so cant see real speed of connection)
    Can somebody in Meteor (beyond the first layer of defence at customer care) have a look at this prob and can anybody give feedback if this is happening elsewhere ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I am getting 3G coverage in Louth (living just outside Drogheda)

It's strange that I'm still not getting a 3G signal. I'm in the South Dublin Business Park so would be very surprised if there's no 3G coverage over Sandyford industrial estate :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

It's strange that I'm still not getting a 3G signal. I'm in the South Dublin Business Park so would be very surprised if there's no 3G coverage over Sandyford industrial estate :confused:

Just in case - you are sure you have a 3G phone and it's not in 2G only mode? Can you see 3G if you do a manual scan?

Dún Laoghaire, Blackrock both have a full 3G signal. Stepaside is still Edge but they have always had a bad signal there.

dubber wrote: »
    Just in case - you are sure you have a 3G phone and it's not in 2G only mode? Can you see 3G if you do a manual scan?

Yeah, I've a Nokia N95 8gb and it shows Meteor (normal) and then Meteor 3g when I do a network search.

It showed the 3g icon on 2 different occasions when climbing the stairs of my apartment building. But I tried to reproduce it last night and no luck :(

Yeah, I've a Nokia N95 8gb and it shows Meteor (normal) and then Meteor 3g when I do a network search.

It showed the 3g icon on 2 different occasions when climbing the stairs of my apartment building. But I tried to reproduce it last night and no luck :(

I would put it down to your phone then.

• Advertisement

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I would put it down to your phone then.

And what are you basing that assumption on?

Advertisement