Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metero - 3g

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

John_Mc wrote: »
    And what are you basing that assumption on?

The fact that you got a 3G signal in 2 places in your block. It would indicate that there may be an issue with your antenna or receiver in the phone.
    The Nokia centre near Sandyford LUAS will probably check it over for a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

andrewh5 wrote: »
    The fact that you got a 3G signal in 2 places in your block. It would indicate that there may be an issue with your antenna or receiver in the phone.
    The Nokia centre near Sandyford LUAS will probably check it over for a few quid.

Possibly, there's definitely something up.

The phone is still in warranty so I'd have a problem paying a Nokia centre to have a look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

John_Mc wrote: »
    Possibly, there's definitely something up.

The phone is still in warranty so I'd have a problem paying a Nokia centre to have a look at it.

they're not a nokia centre and you don't have to pay them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have the 3G signal on my phone, but it is still quite slow to load pages - do I need to change my connection settings to actually take advantage of the 3G speeds? Using an LG Viewty so i'm not sure if it is correctly setup to begin with (Not officailly supported by Meteor)- just kinda have a mash of settings that get me online somehow.

EDIT: Have just seen I can now download Viewty settings from Metoer (couldn't last time i tried) the options are "WAP and MMS" and "streaming" - i presume it is the streaming settings I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Day 2, and still major problems in Dundalk - Cannot call any meteor phones which are on the 3G cell - My advice to anyone who has problems - change your phone settings to GSM only and you will then be reachable.
    Seems as if every Meteor phone in town has logged onto a 3G cell with limited capacity and the whole town is experiencing the "New years eve" / "Pop concert" problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Tauren wrote: »
    I have the 3G signal on my phone, but it is still quite slow to load pages - do I need to change my connection settings to actually take advantage of the 3G speeds? Using an LG Viewty so i'm not sure if it is correctly setup to begin with (Not officailly supported by Meteor)- just kinda have a mash of settings that get me online somehow.

EDIT: Have just seen I can now download Viewty settings from Metoer (couldn't last time i tried) the options are "WAP and MMS" and "streaming" - i presume it is the streaming settings I want?

WAP settings will be fine since the APN was opened up to allow full Internet access a few weeks ago. Streaming settings will only apply if you wish to use services such as YouTube.

will only having the streaming settings cause problems? I have the streaming settings installed, but not the WAP or MMS settings. I can browse the net fine (and quick) but could it cause other problems for me? Should I install the WAP and MMS settings from the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

How does one get a Video call to work??

I'm on Meteor with n95, other person is on Meteor with sony w910i
    When I try to call it just displays the call screen then "disconnected"

will only having the streaming settings cause problems? I have the streaming settings installed, but not the WAP or MMS settings. I can browse the net fine (and quick) but could it cause other problems for me? Should I install the WAP and MMS settings from the site?

The Streaming settings are just the WAP settings minus the proxy, so there is no username or IP address contained within. The Streaming settings will give you full Internet access, whereas the WAP APN settings will give you limited access.

Staying with the Streaming settings will be fine but be warned; if you're postpaid it is still cheaper to use the Data APN as it is €0.048 per KB whereas WAP is still 2c per KB. If you're prepay then it won't matter due to Meteor's new prepay pricing i.e. 99c per day for 50MB.

How does one get a Video call to work??

I'm on Meteor with n95, other person is on Meteor with sony w910i
    When I try to call it just displays the call screen then "disconnected"

Both you and the recipient must be in 3G coverage; this is noted by the "3G" symbol located at the top-left corner of the screen on the Nokia N95 and the Sony Ericsson W910i.

Once this has been confirmed, dial the number you wish to call, and before pressing the green button to call, press Options => Call => press right on the directional pad => select Video call and the video call should commence.

If there are still issues, and both you and the recipient are definitely in 3G coverage, it would most likely be down to the network at either end. To resolve you would need to check with Meteor customer care to see if there are any issues where you or the recipient are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

is it working in west dublin and what is the cost of using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Rsaeire wrote: »
    If there are still issues, and both you and the recipient are definitely in 3G coverage, it would most likely be down to the network at either end. To resolve you would need to check with Meteor customer care to see if there are any issues where you or the recipient are.

Ha. I did it while we were both sitting next to each other to double check. Sorry, I really should have mentioned that.

Was just being lazy and trying to avoid customer service, as they just try to sell ya extra stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

These video calls are cool.
    I had never made one until recently but now I am calling people just to use the functionality!

Loving this! :)

Ha. I did it while we were both sitting next to each other to double check. Sorry, I really should have mentioned that.

Was just being lazy and trying to avoid customer service, as they just try to sell ya extra stuff

You'll need to be patient with Meteor's 3G network as it's only launched; this is the reason they did a soft launch as opposed to a hard launch as they're hoping to iron out all the kinks before they get their marketing hat on and try ram 3G down everybody's throat.

3G access and video calling will be a bit hit and miss for a while, but when people have issues it is best to raise them with customer care as the issues will be resolved a lot quicker that way.

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    These video calls are cool.
    I had never made one until recently but now I am calling people just to use the functionality!

Loving this! :)

Not being pessimistic, just realistic, but the novelty of video calls will most likely wear off for you in a while. This is one of the main reasons why video calls are not more expensive than a standard call; the uptake has been generally low across the world.

mainly to be used by girlfriends calling their bloke on a lads night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mainly to be used by girlfriends calling their bloke on a lads night out.

When suddenly it doesn't work :-)

Advertisement