Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Matt losing his edge ?

• 23-09-2008 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

One of the things I've always admired about Matt Cooper is his ability to ask awkward questions of both sides, as if he didn't have an actual stance / opinion himself - drag out the interviewees' opinions and let the listener decide.

And no-one's perfect, and we all have an off day or pet subject where we can't.

But listening today he missed a few, which didn't seem like him.

Firstly, some guy who was trying to claim that Ireland was "like" the Republican party in America dropped in a reference to September 11th when it was pointed out that while Ireland might be similar on abortion and gay marraige, we're not warmongers; facts and history have proven that Saddam
    Hussein and Iraq had nothing to do with September 11th.

And then, in a discussion about RTE paying for prime TV shows and not really "using" them, with TV3 crying about it, he missed two important points:

1) TV3 had access to European matches that ITV had last year and TV3 annoyingly chose not to show them
    2) TV3 spends money on irrelevant UK TV shows (UK Z-celebrities, UK interactive shows overlaid with with "entries not available in ROI") because it's part of the ITV stable - if they didn't do that maybe they would have some more cash to spend on worthwhile stuff

While I'm no huge defender of RTE, there definitely being some things they do that I don't like (cross-pollination - PK ending the Late Late saying "join me Monday" - should be a paid-for advert, and even the very practice of improving their radio presenters profiles by putting them on TV while avoiding listing Sam Smyth, etc, as Today FM broadcasters, listing them as just "broadcasters") the second issue above seemed to be a fairly un-objective TV3 joins Today FM to try the same thing while taking a pot at RTE, and without mentioning their own elephants in the room.

Advertisement