Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The first Merseyside derby of the new season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

keane done brilliantly for both goals.

Keane DID brilliantly for both goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

anybody know where Aurelio's meant to be playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

shotamoose wrote: »
    anybody know where Aurelio's meant to be playing?

at Goodison park?
    Doesnt seem like he's all there though.

Bye bye Cahill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cahill walks, little thug. Yet another Red card derby.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Some tasty tackles going in.

Didn't think it was red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

lol at Mike Riley, straight red for that?!

So far thats;
    1 x perfectly good goal disallowed
    1 x 1 on 1 chance denied for nothing
    1 x straight red where a yellow was warrented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Woud love Keane to score to finish things up nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

For F**ksake, Cahill has been looking to kick someone for the last 10 mins, how can Andy gray not think it was even a yellow?
    He had a wild swing at areabola earlier too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Cahill walks, little thug. Yet another Red card derby.

Mike

In fairness Mike it was Yellow at best.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

So far thats;

He will give a penalty yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mike Riley should never referee a premiership game again. He is a disaster, thats just completely over the top. I'd love to see if this is appealed because that was no way a red card. We'll see if he gets the same treatment as John Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Keane DID brilliantly for both goals.

boy is my face red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So far thats;
    2 x 1 on 1 chance denied for nothing

Dont forget Everton's chance earliar when Reina complete missed the ball and was luckily awarded a free.

Pennant seems to be coming in from the cold.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness Mike it was Yellow at best.

Yes but I think the fact that he ingored 3 or 4 calls from the ref did'nt help - he just kept walking away

Yes but I think the fact that he ingored 3 or 4 calls from the ref did'nt help - he just kept walking away

if that was it it would have been 2 yellows, one for each offence (bad tackle and desent), still not a straight Red.

Forgot about that one Chucky, it really is one of the most laughable performances by a ref i've seen. Probably won't be much made of it either since its a clear cut result, but imagine if it finished 0-0 with the same incidents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

if that was it it would have been 2 yellows, one for each offence (bad tackle and desent), still not a straight Red.

Was'nt sure if it was a straight red! SKy just showed ref holding up a Red
    My bad:o

Job done without being too sparkling - top the league until 4.50

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So far thats;

Indeed. Shocking performance. I could say that it favoured one team over the other, but in reality, it's just because he's a terrible terrible ref. Totally inconsistant, got all the big decisions wrong, gives yellows for things which aren't yellows, then doesn't give anything for yellows, then gives reds for yellows!

Why the **** does he keep getting the big games? He's ****ing terrible.

--

Good solid performance from the pool. Nothing much in the first half, 2nd half some great skill led to the goal. Gerrard was very disciplined in central midfield, still seems like a waste of him [Why he was so nice to Rafa yesterday in the press becomes clear :)]

• Advertisement

Was'nt sure if it was a straight red! SKy just showed ref holding up a Red
    My bad:o
    According to sky stats on the tv, it was a straight red?
    3 yellows each, yakubu, neville and fellini in the book for the blues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I don't know if i am the first in this thread but i can i just say what a game Dirk kuyt had. I am one of his biggest critic's at times.

He looked for the ball at every opportunity.
    He passed it well.
    He made great runs , including the one to give Torres the space for the first goal.
    And as ever he worked incredibly hard tracking back.

For me he was close to man of the match. (Thats something i didn't think i would ever say)

Opr

Handy money. We beat them twice this season already.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

indeed

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    I don't know if i am the first in this thread but i can i just say what a game Dirk kuyt had. I am one of his biggest critic's at times.

He passed it well.
    He made great runs , including the one to give Torres the space for the first goal.

For me he was close to man of the match. (Thats something i didn't think i would ever say)

Opr

You can never fault him for work rate, i knew he would play really good today, thats an ideal match for him with tackles flying in and lots of loose ball to pick up and chase around.

He played a massive role in both goals too.
    And was my man of the match versus man united.

opr wrote: »

He passed it well.

Opr
    He might look good at times, but he is the player that has to go out of the Liverpool lineup imo.
    He has no vision at all nor is he very creative. He will work hard but thats not good enough at the top of the game.
    If you get a chance to look back at the game again, there was a couple of times where players made themselves available down the sides of the pitch and he completely ignored them and eventually either laid the ball backwards or ran into defenders and lost possession.

i was really pleased about how pool went about the game today though. Played the ball around, far less impetus on big dynamic balls and far more on short crisp passes. The players moved around to give a direct passing line to each other and were able to walk the ball up the pitch without too much hassle.

We still lacked the final third at times, but there was a lot to take out of this game imo. I'd love it if we just stuck to that style of football regardless of the opposition.

Was impressed with Gerrard today, i was saying before the game he needed to keep his descipline and he did, while still adding plenty to the flow of the game. I think this must be rafa's plan, to have Keane do what Gerrard did last year, and still have Gerrard just behind also adding to play.

That team, with Aurelio instead of Dossena looked very good all round (though Dossena did well for the disallowed goal).

<edit>
    To add to OPR's point on Kuyt, he showed some beautiful skill to beat a man or earn some space today, something we don't see enough from him. Maybe the introduction of Riera doing the same things has reminded him he can do it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:) Good performance AND a good result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Great result. I was really worried about Torres (far more than I was about Keane), so I am delighted to see him netting a few. Would have been delighted to see him get the hat trick.

Everton were surprisingly poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Thought it was beautiful to hear Everton fans singing "who are ya" at Nando............

couple of minutes later......

prop080927-31-everton_liverpool.jpg
    torr_afp_1222522336.jpg

you think they know who he is now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Great result. I was really worried about Torres (far more than I was about Keane), so I am delighted to see him netting a few. Would have been delighted to see him get the hat trick.

Everton were surprisingly poor.

Everton weren't 'poor' today.... Liverpool just played better. That doesn't mean Everton played poorly.

First half the Everton defence was very solid. Every ball was getting an Everton head or toe on it in the final third. Some shocking final balls from Liverpool probably helped there. Yobo and Jags had Torres in their pocket. You could see Torres getting more and more frustrated as the Everton defence was getting physical with him. Liverpool did have more chances in the first half, but couldn't put them away. Everton had a couple as well, but I think both teams didn't even have a shot on target in the first half. Stalemate up to that point.

Second half, Liverpool seemed a lot more up for it than Everton did. 2 stupid defensive errors caused Everton 2 goals in pretty quick succession. Nobody picking up Torres and he had loads of time for both goals. Osman just gave up for the first one.. He saw him about 10 yards ahead but just stopped...

Saha coming on gave Everton a lot more attacking options and we did get into the box and created some chances after his entrance. Just as we were getting some luck and looked like we might have got something good going in midfiled and attack.... Mike 'f**kin' Riley pulls another clanger.... Red card for Cahill. I'm sorry, but there was no way that was a straight red card. It was a tough tackle and he didn't win the ball. It was a yellow card at most...

With 10 mins left Everton still had some sort of chance of getting 1 back and making it an interesting last few mins for the equaliser. Mike Riley pretty much ended any chance of that. The man is an incompetent fool. If I continuously made mistakes and bad decisions in my job like that, I'd get fired... I just hate it when referees are the talking point of a game like he always seems to be. He didn't let the game flow at all today. Blowing up for free-kicks which were soft (for both sides) where playing on would have been warranted...

Overall Liverpool were better on the day, but it could have been such a different story if Everton's concentration at the back had lasted that bit longer...

Oh well... UEFA cup game to win on Thursday, then Newcastle at home! Hopefully that will be 2 wins! Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mr Alan wrote: »
    torr_afp_1222522336.jpg

Needs to be said. Man, if you want to look like you are as thick as two planks - be a football fan amongst football fans. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I only saw the second half but what I saw I liked.
    Liverpool relaxed a bit once they scored the second
    goal. Maybe could have scored more. . .:rolleyes:

Everton weren't 'poor' today.... Liverpool just played better. That doesn't mean Everton played poorly.

Am not gonna get into an argument with you and will leave it at this. Everton were at home with their strongest possibly team on the pitch and Reina didn't have one save to make.

Liverpool weren't particularly good in my opinion. When a team that is not playing particularly well and they are up against a club that has aspirations to be in the top 4 and generally outplays them completely, it means that the opposition were quite poor on the day.

I am not saying that Everton are ****. They played well below what they are capable of in my opinion. I will happily credit Liverpool with that if you like but I think I would be kidding myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Having watched Mike Riley's recent performances I am now convinced that he has some sort of whistle fetish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Matt Lucas at todays game

2nu54k6.jpg

Did anyone spot Peter Kay?

Mike

Am not gonna get into an argument with you and will leave it at this. Everton were at home with their strongest possibly team on the pitch and Reina didn't have one save to make.

Liverpool weren't particularly good in my opinion. When a team that is not playing particularly well and they are up against a club that has aspirations to be in the top 4 and generally outplays them completely, it means that the opposition were quite poor on the day.

I am not saying that Everton are ****. They played well below what they are capable of in my opinion. I will happily credit Liverpool with that if you like but I think I would be kidding myself.

It was a midfield battle and Yakubu didn't get the service as a result of this. You could see that when we went 4-4-2 when Saha came on that we had more attacking options and chances. It was quite simple to see why Reina didn't have to work too hard today.

Liverpool had a lot of the possession (60/40 according to Sky Sports), which Everton spent most of the time combating against. Liverpool did play better as I said. A lot of people seem to disagree with your assessment that Liverpool weren't good today.

It was a hard game to pick the bones from, but it ended up that 2 defensive mistakes that were capitalised upon by Torres being unmarked is what separated the teams today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Liverpool had a lot of the possession (60/40 according to Sky Sports), which Everton spent most of the time combating against.

In fairness they architected their own downfall here. A lot of the time they won possession from Liverpool in their own half, they ceeded it back again by hoofing it aimlessly into Liverpool defensive territory, where Carra or Skrtel could pick it up.
    It was a hard game to pick the bones from, but it ended up that 2 defensive mistakes that were capitalised upon by Torres being unmarked is what separated the teams today.

Most goals come from defensive mistakes, that's why they go in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Liverpool where excellent today.An all round strong performance. The more i see of Robbie Keane the more convinced i am of him being the difference this season for us. He really is an intelligent football player who brings others into the game but he wasnt the only stand out performance of the day. Special word for Skrtel who is really looking like the stand out defender of the season this year.At 6 million quid he is looking like the signing of the year. Torres yet again showed his class even when being kicked around the pitch by the everton defenders. And what about Liverpool's defenders in general, when a goal is conceded from a free kick or corner the media and idiot fans in general like to come out with the same old crap about zonal marking being wrong,stupid,not the english way etc.... well guess what it is working so well done to Rafa and the team as a whole.Top of the league and still not playing that good? very tasty indeed.:) Oh and a special word for the ref..Pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

2moz59y.jpg

spockety wrote: »
    Most goals come from defensive mistakes, that's why they go in!

My point being, Liverpool didn't create their own chances today upfront. It was only when the first goal went in that Torres actually looked like he was on the pitch...

Ok, so Liverpool dominated Everton in the midfield, completely stiffled Everton's attack to the extent that Reina didn't have to make a save all match, forced Everton into a number of defensive errors and scored from two of them with another 2 being disallowed, one of which was a perfectly good goal..

I thought that saying Everton were poor was slightly less daming..

Ok, so Liverpool dominated Everton in the midfield, completely stiffled Everton's attack to the extent that Reina didn't have to make a save all match, forced Everton into a number of defensive errors and scored from two of them with another 2 being disallowed, one of which was a perfectly good goal..

I thought that saying Everton were poor was slightly less daming..

Not like you to take things out of context ;)

I don't remember a 'number' of defensive mistakes. I remember the 2 for the goals...

Everton couldn't get the ball to Yakubu's feet. I think you'll find it was similar enough in the first half for Liverpool..

Ok ok..

Liverpool were just better than Everton but Everton were not poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Everton were poor today.
    The ref was brutal today.

Liverpool looked comfortable and there was only goin' to be one result today after watchin' the first 15/20 mins imo.

Great to see Torres scoring away in the League this season :);)

Ok ok..

Liverpool were just better than Everton but Everton were not poor.

... yeah and Mike Riley is w@**er :p

... yeah and Mike Riley is w@**er :p

That I couldn't disagree with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Isnt it amazing each and every time Liverpool play well and get a result the only reason is because the other team where poor :rolleyes: Laughable. Nothing to do with Liverpool actually being a good team themselves. Rafa was just lucky again today then.

Advertisement