Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imdb

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Ever look through this site to see what all the actors were in....and then you see one guy who hasn't been in a film since 1997 and you think...man...what must he be doing now.

Must be a hard thing to do to realise you're not going to make it in your beloved profession so you must swallow the pride and go do a normal job.

This thread is a fail isn't it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

It is, I'm afraid.

You are the weakest link, goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You didn't just say that did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I think a simple "No." Or "dot dot dot" would have been appropriate :)

he actually said I was the weakest link. Is this 2005? Have I slipped back in time? Wow...I must get my ass to Paddy Power...i know all sorts of crap that's going to do down. Biff buchanan style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I seen many threads that fail more than this one. It is an interesting point that some people will work as extras on soap operas or in films where they say nothing and are seen for like 0.5 seconds yet the dream of making it spurs them on. One day the crushing realisation comes that they will never be professional actors and must humbly return to their call centre job.

Perhaps the thread could be expanded to not only refer to people who want to make it in acting to perhaps someone who reckoned they could start their own business and ploughed life savings into it only to watch it completely f**k up leaving them penniless, once more working in a dead end job and taking solace in a litre of whisky on a nightly basis in a vain attempt to erase their epic fail from their consciousness.

• Advertisement

Interesting point Jigsaw...must happen a lot in the professional football world as well. Must be hard for the guys that played in the same team as giggs and gerrard when they were 17 to see their lives go in such different paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I love IMDB, it always annoys me when I watch a movie and can't think of the name of an actor from another movie or tv programme so i go there.

themont85 wrote: »
    I love IMDB, it always annoys me when I watch a movie and can't think of the name of an actor from another movie or tv programme so i go there.

Remember the days years ago when it would bug you where you saw a certain actor before....it's an unbelievable resource and a credit to the people who run it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

It is, I'm afraid.

You are the weakest link, goodbye.

Your fail > OP fail

Acting's seems a lot like the music industry. You need to be 1 in 100 just to make a living and beyond that the odds get nastier. There's a whole load of broken dreams in there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I concur, sure just the other day i watched 'In the name of the father' and there was an actor in it i recognized but could for the live of me work out why, quick check on IMDb and i see he was in a few episodes of 24.

I love imdb in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Interesting point Jigsaw...must happen a lot in the professional football world as well. Must be hard for the guys that played in the same team as giggs and gerrard when they were 17 to see their lives go in such different paths.

Exactly. No doubt there will be bollockses somewhere in Liverpool with big beer bellies wearing tatty beer stained sportswear etc who will, on a nightly basis, talk about how they played with Stevie G when they were in the youth set up at Liverpool. They will now be doing a bit of taxiing combined with a bit of low level crime to make ends meet while Stevie G knows he has the adulation of thousands of people and need never want for anything again.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

I always sit there sayin, oh yeah, thats whats his name, you know, from that tv series. YOU know, that funny guy.

Imdb saves my sanity...to an extent. It's not a miracle worker afterall.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I seen many threads that fail more than this one. It is an interesting point that some people will work as extras on soap operas or in films where they say nothing and are seen for like 0.5 seconds yet the dream of making it spurs them on. One day the crushing realisation comes that they will never be professional actors and must humbly return to their call centre job.

Perhaps the thread could be expanded to not only refer to people who want to make it in acting to perhaps someone who reckoned they could start their own business and ploughed life savings into it only to watch it completely f**k up leaving them penniless, once more working in a dead end job and taking solace in a litre of whisky on a nightly basis in a vain attempt to erase their epic fail from their consciousness.

Or for the people who spend their whole lives working a humdrum job that they hate and never have the balls to risk it all and make a stab at living their dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

thread gets a 1.2/10 Imdb rating

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Empire gave it 4 out of 5 stars earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I <3 IMDB \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Since I always forget the name of actors or programmes I use IMDB quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Exactly. No doubt there will be bollockses somewhere in Liverpool with big beer bellies wearing tatty beer stained sportswear etc who will, on a nightly basis, talk about how they played with Stevie G when they were in the youth set up at Liverpool. They will now be doing a bit of taxiing combined with a bit of low level crime to make ends meet while Stevie G knows he has the adulation of thousands of people and need never want for anything again.

Yeah and around Dublin, a few hundred taxi drivers will tell you how U2 actually opened for them once.
    Or for the people who spend their whole lives working a humdrum job that they hate and never have the balls to risk it all and make a stab at living their dream.

Disney called*. They said they want you to pen their next heartwarming story of the little guy achieving success against all the odds starring Rick Moranis.

*Why would they call me? This doesn't make any sense at all. Surely they'd call you AC and not me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

George Foreman has five sons all called George. What a PR!CK

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there a way of entering two films and finding the common actor(s) in them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

javaboy wrote: »
    Disney called*. They said they want you to pen their next heartwarming story of the little guy achieving success against all the odds starring Rick Moranis.

Just think of the career that guy could have had if he'd chosen an alternative shortening of his first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Just to contrast this, I was in a band with a guy about 10 years ago who was also a struggling actor. well, it didnt work with him and he was let go. never saw him again. fast forward to a few months ago, and for no reason, i remember him. so for the crack i popped his name in imdb.

He was in band of brothers and one of the resident evil sequels! :eek:

i never watched either of these, or else i would have copped him.

picture of him all pally with speilberg on his profile an all.

so.....kids, dreams can come true!

just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Still better than Disaster Movie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

javaboy wrote: »

*Why would they call me? This doesn't make any sense at all. Surely they'd call you AC and not me. :confused:

Seeing as you're already taking my calls, would you fancy being my agent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Sherifu wrote: »
    Generous.

well, it was 0,2 (which is very fair as most of you will agree), but in order for me to voice my opinion, I had to post in this forum. instantly the thread goes up by a whole point!!!:D

thread now at 2,2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is there a way of entering two films and finding the common actor(s) in them?
    no but that would make too much sense wouldnt it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I for one welcome our aspiring call centre/rapists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I like it too, except for the message boards.
    All must have the obligatory ''Top Ten Reasons Why This Movie Is the Worst Movie Ever'' thread. Or ''This Is Better Than 'The Godfather'. Here's Why!". Then you have the conspiracy theory trolls, ''This Film Just Shows How the Jews/ Communists/Liberals Are Running Hollywood'' or ''Anybody else feel this is racist to white people?", or if the movie stars Maggie Gyllenhal, ''Maggie G. is fugly". And the ever popular ''Who do you think will win, Obama or McCain?'' (usually on a really popular movie's page which has nothing to do with politics.)

Which is why I prefer Rotten Tomatoes.

Advertisement