Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses and others who work 12 hour nights

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:21am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

Any fellow night nurses out there? I've been on nights constantly Since the end of May, not by choice, mind, it's just what I've been rostered for. At first I never complained as I had quite a nice duty, doing my 3 or 4 nights oin a rown, but then something went astray (not just with my duty but everyone's) and now it's not unusual to find I'm down to do one night on, then one off, followed by two on, another off, etc. Extremely disruptive, but my manager seems not to care. Easy knowing she doen't do nights and doesn't have to face a 20 mile drive home afterwards on a road which is pretty much just continuous S bends, with a valley drop to one side of the road and mountain onthe other. Hmmm.
    Have any of you got a successful night roster in place with allows everone to do their nights together without too much hassle and lets everyone get the weekends their entitled to (I'm down for 4 Saturday nights in a row next month with no Sunday btw). My colleagues and I are at our wits ends over these flippin' nights and we'd love to know how other nurses are getting on around the country, especially since the introduction of the 37.5 hour week.

On a more sleep related topic, how do any of you nurses or shift workers find sleeping during the day? Or worse, getting back to a normal sleep pattern when you have to go back to day work? Any special tricks up your collective sleeves?

Advertisement