Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Aircraft Landing in Baldonnel

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

I work in Citywest, so I regularly see the type of aircraft landing in baldonnel and the size of plane that usually lands there..

Today (22nd Sept about 3.30 pm) I saw a pretty damn big plane landing, which I suspected the runway couldn't cater for.

Looked like a Boeing 757 size. Had what looked like a European flag design on the tail.

Any ideas who or what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Was it the DC8 mentioned in the earlier post ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Was it the DC8 mentioned in the earlier post ?

Negative. I was walking through Tymon Park (templeogue entrance) as it flew out of the clouds over my head at about 1000-1500 ft. Seemed very low to me and was heading in a roughly west nor-westerly direction rather than the usual westerly. (I live beside the basketball area,they overfly regularly)

It was twin engined, whereas the DC-8 is 4 engined. I would say it was more A300/B767 size. Didin't seem as long and slim as a B757/A321. However this could have been the effect of it buzzing me. Coming through the clouds very distinct contrails from the wingtips so maybe not a A300 then.

As it was directly overhead I saw no markings on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

1st group of guys who were in chad arriving home.
    They flew directly to Baldonnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

That would make sense Morphéus...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

RWY11/29 is 1828m long, so it will at at push take up to a 767 size, although the 757 is the largest aircraft to have landed at BAL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Saw her myself, looked like an A300

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It was a 752 of Astreaus, somebody gave me the reg but I cant remember it...G-OJIB perhaps

It was a 752 of Astreaus, somebody gave me the reg but I cant remember it...G-OJIB perhaps

Just got it myself from guys on airliners.net:

Astraeus B757 G-OJIB.

Seemed bigger than a B757 to poor little me under it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Thought it was a 757 size alright. Didn't realise it was the famous "Ed Force One"....

This is definitely the plane I saw:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Astraeus/Boeing-757-23A/1390467&tbl=photo_info&photo_nr=1&sok=keyword_(%5C%27%2B%5C%22Astraeus%5C%22_%2B%5C%22G-OJIB%5C%22%5C%27_IN_BOOLEAN_MODE))_&sort=_order_by_photo_id_DESC_&prev_id=&next_id=1385515

1390467.jpg
    G-OJIB (cn 24292/219) Ed Force One lining up on Runway 27. Next destination - Perth, Australia. Iron Maiden kicked off their "Somewhere Back in Time" World Tour with a concert in Mumbai. I was lucky to have attended it. Hope Eddie does the same to that airport fence :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

iron madien gave the chad guys a lift home?

• Advertisement

iron madien gave the chad guys a lift home?
    One of the Iron Maiden guys is a pilot for Astraeus. They hire the B757 to them for touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Cool paint job
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Bruce Dickinson, the lead singer with Iron Maiden, is currently a B757 captain. He regularly trains in Cranebank on the BA simulators.
    When he first started he trained on the B737 simulator.

Advertisement