Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi there,

I could do with some advise.
    I need to grow a small hedge between two houses something that won't grow crazy but still make a full hedge. I was looking for an evergreen hedge.
    Does anyone have any advise what to plant? And where would be the best place to buy them in the dublin - north dublin area.

Cheers

Ocj

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Escallonia. Wherever I've lived I've grown it and it never disappoints. It grows quickly but can be trimmed as much as you like and also has the bonus of flowers. You can get it in any garden centre but if you need a lot I would go to a nursery.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Thanks bmaxi

I'll look out for that today after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Grisellinia is probably easier to manage, cuts well and grows well. Hold off for another 4-6 weeks and buy bare root plants (Whips) you'll get them for peanuts and planted straight away will come on strong come Springtime.

There are many other options from which to choose but G. is a very popular plant and readily available. A more expensive but certainly attractive alternative would be Photinia (Red Robin).

Advertisement