Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slate?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Aloha,
    Anyone know if there will ever be a return of this now near mythic magazine? Was the only Irish publication I have ever read and not felt the worse for having done so.

I heard whispers of a "best of" edition but Google has yet to bare fruit(Outside of the laughable slate.com that is; certainly not to be confused with something worth reading).

H.

P.S. I have searched whois records and found nothing, if anyone even knows how to contact people who may have worked on the mag then please let me know as I would DEARLY love to pick up some back editions if they exist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I have the final issue floating around at home somewhere.. I'll have a look later and see what I can route out :)

Fantastic magazine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I have the final issue floating around at home somewhere.. I'll have a look later and see what I can route out :)

Fantastic magazine..

That it was. That it surely, surely was.

I only had a few of them, they were excellent though. I think they brought out a 'best of' for Christmas some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ah good memories :D I had most of them saved until a friend asked for a loan of them a few years back and that was last I saw of them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah the final issue was the 'best of' annual type edition and was about a fiver. Not bad considering every other issue was free. I got the best of but im pretty sure i've lost it. damn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Uninteresting fact: the editor of the slate used to live in my apartment. He's still getting solicitors letters. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have one at home. Why did it stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

WindSock wrote: »
    I have one at home. Why did it stop?

I don't think it was making any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That sucks, I would have bought it.

If one is to believe the archived version of the site, they stopped because they pretty much ran out of steam and wanted to end it all on a high note. Pity really as it could have continued as a web zine or something similar, I know I would have certainly stayed loyal.

Wonder what those kings amongst men are up to now. One can only wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Anyone know if it's still possible to buy the Annual / Special / book thingy anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

and here's me thinking this thread was gonna be more reccession talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Met one of the main guys behind the Slate at a writing course around the time that the 'Best Of' was coming out - A good four years ago or so now I believe. It never really made any money and there's only so long you can keep going with things like that before you want to move on to bigger, better and more profitable things. I believe some of those involved moved into broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Despite the quality, I can see why they might have problems attracting advertisers.
    It's up there with South Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Loved this thing.

I reckon the OP works/worked for them and is guaging interest in a return.

/cynic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Uninteresting fact: the editor of the slate used to live in my apartment. He's still getting solicitors letters. :)

You might have lived upstairs from me?!

I loved the slate,I still have the last issue ever although I'm sorry I didn't keep the rest.

I wrote into them once about Brown Thomas back in the day and they published it.

Would welcome it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

What was it? What style of mag?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

What kind of magazine was it? When was it available? Was it like Mongrel or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They used a couple of pictures of mine back in the day. The editor <SNIP> I heard that the pressures of him dealing with that before he was <SNIP> was the real reason the magazine faded out as he was the main driving force behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

wogs in the bogs!

matthew kelly fiddles with kids!

gunboats on the liffey!

ah,the slate was the reason i went to college back in the day,it was worth going into town just to sit in the bar and piss yourself laughing for an hour at the genius!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i miss the slate, i too have the last copy somewhere.
    i miss their impossibe crosswords

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    impossibe crosswords

no way!
    some cynts!
    really impossible? that's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

FX Meister wrote: »
    They used a couple of pictures of mine back in the day. The editor <SNIP>on. I heard that the pressures of him dealing with that <SNIP>was the real reason the magazine faded out as he was the main driving force behind it.

Really.. ,I would imagine that would to it ..

probably would think, that advertising was a problem, when they put an ad for a pub/club/whatever on one page , and then had articles on the next page, saying what a shthole the place was and full of cnts and wnkers.

I thought I had the last one.. but I do have issues 22 , 23 and 24.

lol I wish Des, I really do! I had contemplated sending in articles before but I could never come up with anything with enough bile and vitriolic humor.

To those who do not know, "The Slate" was a college mag released around the early naughties. It contained, in my opinion, the most hilarious stuff to emerge from Dublin quite possibly to date.

Somehow it fits that the editor was a rapist. It just does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

studiorat wrote: »
    no way!
    some cynts!
    really impossible? that's hilarious.

my favourite clue was "ah come on, you can get this one"

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    my favourite clue was "ah come on, you can get this one"

Holy sh1t!
    that's fckin' nuts! roaring here!!
    I never noticed...

I remember the nu-mullet gag about the mod hair-do's. Funny they are everywhere now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so, this was a Dublin magazine then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

FX Meister wrote: »
    They used a couple of pictures of mine back in the day. The editor was <SNIP> I heard that the pressures of him dealing with that before he was <SNIP> was the real reason the magazine faded out as he was the main driving force behind it.

Is this actually true or are you making up stories?

Can I join in? I heard that Superman was in fact, Peter Parker!

• Advertisement

so, this was a Dublin magazine then?

yeah! I seem to remember it was a very cool thing to know who they were.

They were ruthless! I think they published a promoters mobile number and told people to give him a call if the wanted to get into any gigs!

The dude had a nick name and the article went "such and such's name is really "Fergal" his no. is..."

Advertisement