Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hygiene - what's most important to you?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

what would be the most important aspect of a persons hygiene for you? what would be the big thing that if someone didn't look after it, or had it bad it would turn you off big time. I'm not looking for things that have a bad smell like BO as that would be an instant turn off for anyone. I mean a more trivial thing. for example yellowish teeth, greasy hair, dirty hands / fingernails.

for me it would be the teeth. I think there is nothing better than a good smile with a head full of while choppers. if they are yellow I tell them to go to the next fellow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

Honestly I just prefer them to shower and shower properly. None of this standing in the hot water and doing a quick wash crap. Get into crevices and wash them with soap. Please. And I mean EVERY crevice (anywhere that bends, contains a gap or folds over... clean it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Teeth for me aswell. Looking at a yellowish film or skanky brown lines between the teeth is a big turn off for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

While teeth are important, they don't have to be sparkly white. In many cases, it reminds me of the famous Friends-episode where Ross got his teeth bleached... Just a bit freaky and unnatural. Keep them clean, don't smoke.

What I find totally off-putting is greasy hair. There is a fellow living nearby who has very long, very thin, and very greasy hair, always in a pony tail. Judging by the way he presents himself, he is self-confidence personified, but all he reminds me of is a... pimp. :pac: There, I said it.

As for fingernails, clean please, and short, not scratchy. Manicure not required.

Furthermore, bit of grooming please. Shave, trim, use a subtle aftershave. Note: Lynxx does not qualify as such. Quite in the contrary.

Oh, and clean, proper clothes. Tracksuit bottoms and trainers don't impress me one bit. Have a bit of style, basically.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dirty fingernails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

F.A. wrote: »
    While teeth are important, they don't have to be sparkly white. In many cases, it reminds me of the famous Friends-episode where Ross got his teeth bleached... Just a bit freaky and unnatural. Keep them clean, don't smoke.

What I find totally off-putting is greasy hair. There is a fellow living nearby who has very long, very thin, and very greasy hair, always in a pony tail. Judging by the way he presents himself, he is self-confidence personified, but all he reminds me of is a... pimp. :pac: There, I said it.

As for fingernails, clean please, and short, not scratchy. Manicure not required.

Furthermore, bit of grooming please. Shave, trim, use a subtle aftershave. Note: Lynxx does not qualify as such. Quite in the contrary.

Oh, and clean, proper clothes. Tracksuit bottoms and trainers don't impress me one bit. Have a bit of style, basically.

is that all? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

bad teeth (yellow is reasonably acceptable, depending on how yellow. its not always dirt, yellowing depends on genetics/enamel strength its not always avoidable)

dirty fingernails. i just don't like the idea of being touched with dirty hands/fingernails

@ The Bollox: In a nutshell. :p

What it comes down to is: look after yourself if you want others to worship you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

For Lads? They are all important! Hair, nails, teeth, tongue (not coated!), showered, and a hint of aftershave or cologne (no vapor trail!). If a lad cleans up his act, he just might get someplace.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Uurgh.

Cheesy feet.
    Nothing worse than bad teeth though.

Now I feel sick, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

BO is the worst....

*shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

You sound like way too much work!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

for me its defo a proper shower and fresh breath. Nothing worse then snoggin a guy that smells like onion or garlic ...yuck

Clean teeth, hands, hair and clothes. Non-smoking, clean shaven and smart looking.

F.A. isnt actually looking for ALL that much tbh!!!

OK lets get one thing straight.
    Teeth are not always naturally illumunious blue white.
    My teeth are yellow especially compared to my pasty Irish skin, and I can assure you they are clean and not scuzzy.

I didn't realise feet came in chessey. That definitely sounds like the worst. cheesey dick, or cheesey feet.

I don't mind the smell of fresh man sweat at all. Although stale bo is stomach wrenching. And dirty fingernails are a bit of a pre-requiste for me.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I didn't realise feet came in chessey. That definitely sounds like the worst. cheesey dick, or cheesey feet.

I don't mind the smell of fresh man sweat at all. Although stale bo is stomach wrenching. And dirty fingernails are a bit of a pre-requiste for me.

Ya, genital hygiene is paramount, but personally if he himself wasn't particularly hygienic I prob wouldn't hang around to see what lurked beneath the trousers!!

I was referring to stale BO earlier.... a truly appalling stench:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Unless you are on the way too or from the gym to stay in nice shape i imagine? :pac:

General cleanliness is not that much to ask from anyone. I'm a boy and even i manage to keep myself clean.

The spare shower in my place is a different story though. Body make up makes quite the mess!!! :eek:

How exactly? As a guy, you need to spend an average of 23 minutes per day to achieve all I mentioned:

Step in shower, apply showergel/shampoo (there are products available that combine both), wash everywhere, rinse. 5 minutes.
    Brush teeth twice daily: 6 minutes.
    Shave: 10 minutes.
    Apply aftershave: 10 seconds.
    Put on clean clothes: 1 minute.
    Cut nails once a week (which, incidentally, helps keeping them clean): 2 minutes.
    Trim once a week with electronic device: 5 minutes.
    Get proper haircut every four weeks: 15 minutes.

Times as given by bf.

Now go and compare that to what the average woman here does, i.e. add waxing, washing/conditioning/drying/straightening of hair, applying masks/cremes/makeup, removing makeup AND (very common in Ireland): washing/drying/folding/ironing YOUR clothes as well as hers. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if that is too much work for you... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Clean teeth, hands, hair and clothes. Non-smoking, clean shaven and smart looking.

F.A. isnt actually looking for ALL that much tbh!!!

Is clean shaven a big deal? I only shave twice a week, any more an the irritation would negate any niceness from shaving.

Is clean shaven a big deal? I only shave twice a week, any more an the irritation would negate any niceness from shaving.

Not necessarily; Depends on the guy. Suits some men, some men look better rugged. Some men just have to do it....and some men are made do it by their lady.....some men give horrendous beard rash!!!

Now go and compare that to what the average woman here does, i.e. add waxing, washing/conditioning/drying/straightening of hair, applying masks/cremes/makeup, removing makeup AND (very common in Ireland): washing/drying/folding/ironing YOUR clothes as well as hers. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if that is too much work for you... :pac:

Trim what?

Thing is women do that stuff for themselves, not men.

• Advertisement

Yeah, what manukahoney says. Some guys could well do with shaving twice a day! Trust me, I know! :D

It's not all about looks, either. Kissing and cuddling can easily turn into some sado-maso-action for a girl when the guy is not shaved and the girl has sensitive skin. So unless you're inclined that way... :p

Trim what?

Thing is women do that stuff for themselves, not men.

Downstairs and whereever else it's required. And I don't actually clean and iron etc. his clothes for myself. ;) And anybody with a bit of self respect should naturally want to look after themselves, men or women...

Why am I actually justifying myself? :confused: This thread is clearly asking for what is most important to us, so each to their own.

washing/drying/folding/ironing YOUR clothes as well as hers. :rolleyes:

With all due respect any woman who falls into that trap is a spanner.

You either want to do something or you don't. If you don't want to , don't do it.

I'm not sold on the makeup thing either. My girlfriend doesn't wear make up and looks gorgeous because of it.

Downstairs and whereever else it's required. And I don't actually clean and iron etc. his clothes for myself. ;) And anybody with a bit of self respect should naturally want to look after themselves, men or women...

Why am I actually justifying myself? :confused: This thread is clearly asking for what is most important to us, so each to their own.

Ahhh we are just curious, not saying anything is wrong with your personal preferance at all.

I don't believe in ironing.
    I only wax or epilate because it lasts ages and I'm too lazy to shave.
    Mosituriser, conditioners and what not are marketing scams afaic.
    Every man I have ever known has spent longer in the bathroom than me.

Every man I have ever known has spent longer in the bathroom than me.

We read in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Step in shower, apply showergel/shampoo (there are products available that combine both), wash everywhere, rinse. 5 minutes.
    Brush teeth twice daily: 6 minutes.
    Shave: 10 minutes.
    Apply aftershave: 10 seconds.
    Put on clean clothes: 1 minute.
    Cut nails once a week (which, incidentally, helps keeping them clean): 2 minutes.
    Get proper haircut every four weeks: 15 minutes.

Sounds like my routine apart from add gel for the hair, flossing for teeth and one or two other things.

But can I point out that if a guy does all this stuff girls say they are high maintanence!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Long nails on a guy is a definite no. Very, very creepy, tbh.

I'm happy so long as he showers well and keeps the hair and nails short.

Dragan wrote: »
    We read in there.

I don't date the type of man who can read. :D

I don't date the type of man who can read. :D

Lol! :D We all have standards. ;)

On a different note, please guys, why the reading on the throne? What's so comfy there? I just don't get that... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Kotick wrote: »
    Honestly I just prefer them to shower and shower properly. None of this standing in the hot water and doing a quick wash crap. Get into crevices and wash them with soap. Please. And I mean EVERY crevice (anywhere that bends, contains a gap or folds over... clean it).

Yes definitely...
    WindSock wrote: »
    Teeth for me aswell. Looking at a yellowish film or skanky brown lines between the teeth is a big turn off for me.

Oh god, I have been called paranoid about teeth but this is exactly why. I hate dirty teeth! hate them! Teeth need to be clean!! Especially after a night on the beer...BRUSH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad breath also....
    Glowing wrote: »
    Uurgh.

Cheesy feet.
    Nothing worse than bad teeth though.

Cheesy feet smell is horrible!!

Yeah, what manukahoney says. Some guys could well do with shaving twice a day! Trust me, I know! :D

It's not all about looks, either. Kissing and cuddling can easily turn into some sado-maso-action for a girl when the guy is not shaved and the girl has sensitive skin. So unless you're inclined that way... :p

Ouch, I agree!! I've grown to like a bit of 1 day...maybe 2 day stubble on my other half but it does hurt, as said I have sensitive skin

The whole smelling of BO, urgh,even if only slightly and not knowing/caring about it (put some deo on!!)

I have a thing about mens arm pits in general.. I just find something weird about the hair there, urgh!!

Advertisement