Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup. Does anyone really care anymore?

• 23-09-2008 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Coming to the end of its fourth season, has this competition lost it lustre?

Attencences are consistently low.

Only one IL team have ever progressed and are likely to ever progress.

The midweek format stinks.

The ticket prices are too high €15 at least.

Last night there were 959 at the City V Dungannon game. Now some might argue that as the group was already decided, and City wer unlikely to overturn Drogs superior goal difference made people keep their money in their pockets, but this does not hold up when you look at how many were in Drogs the week previous for Drogs Vs City. And god help us if we look at the games between 2 IL sides.

Of course the reason to compete is the excellent proze money on offer. But the question is, how long will Setanta keep putting this money in for poor attendences, and what i assume, poor viewership?

Perhaps the competition needs to be made a straight knock out, as the only part of the competition which is exciting is from here in the semi finals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It would be cool if they scrapped the 2x league cups and replaced it with an "All Ireland" knockout competition open to all Irish Leage prem and Eircom league teams. I guarentee it would be more popular than the Setanta cup , especially long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I like that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

the selotanta cup..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

gimmick wrote: »
    I like that idea.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think also spliting this years Setanta Cup in two was a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pigman II wrote: »
    It would be cool if they scrapped the 2x league cups and replaced it with an "All Ireland" knockout competition open to all Irish Leage prem and Eircom league teams. I guarentee it would be more popular than the Setanta cup , especially long term.

Yeah, this would be a great idea. Espeically as a knockout competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It was a great novelty at the start, but doesn't seem to have been able to build on its early success.

I think its a sympton of an underlying apathy of LOI fans.
    If our team qualified for the Champions League 4 years running we'd be complaining. Bloody Barcelona again, on a Tuesday, and its raining, think we'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't know, i'm looking forward to heading down to Richmond Park tonight. I just see the competition as a bonus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Would an All Ireland league not be better? It would mean an All Ireland cup aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The League down south is so far ahead is the killer.

Games are not competitive.

Linfield, Glens and derry is getting a bit tiresome as well.

Was good when we had Linfield heading to Longford with a 1000 supporters in toe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

P | Team | PLD | GD | PTS
    1 | Drogheda Utd | 6 | 10 | 14
    2 | Cork City | 6 | 9 | 14
    3 | Cliftonville | 6 | -5 | 4 |
    4 | Dungannon Swifts | 6 | -14 |1

I think that sums it up - not competitive

Only Linfield and Glentoran are good enough from the Northern League to compete in a group stage, and they always seem to get drawn with Derry.

Have Derry and SPA qualified out of their group already? Thats what Newstalk said earlier anyway?

Have Derry and SPA qualified out of their group already? Thats what Newstalk said earlier anyway?

No, sure Pat's are only third. Ourselves, Derry and Linfield can all qualify. Glentoran are out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

To paraphrase the Simpsons : "the road to the Setanta Cup final is long and pointless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Who cares, it brings in money for the clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It would be nice to see teams from Wales and non-old firm teams from scotland added and make it a Celtic club cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

An All-Ireland League Cup with a UEFA Cup Europa League place is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

The attendance was shocking at Turner's Cross the other night, obviously the games being played on weeknights doesn't exactly help either :/.

An All Ireland competition would certainly be a great idea and a welcomed change.

Wasn't there talk before of expanding the competition to include some Scottish clubs? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I like that idea; combine two half-assed ideas into one proper competition. Might I suggest you put your idea in writing and contact the relevant body in the FAI?
    It was a great novelty at the start, but doesn't seem to have been able to build on its early success.
    Largely due to the gulf in class between the two leagues.
    glenjamin wrote: »
    Would an All Ireland league not be better?
    Not realistic in the short-to-medium term.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    P | Team | PLD | GD | PTS
    1 | Drogheda Utd | 6 | 10 | 14
    2 | Cork City | 6 | 9 | 14
    3 | Cliftonville | 6 | -5 | 4 |
    4 | Dungannon Swifts | 6 | -14 |1

I think that sums it up - not competitive
    Ah yes, but:

|P | W | D | L | F | A | GD | Pts
    Derry City| 5| 3| 1| 1| 8| 5| 3| 10
    Linfield| 5| 2| 1| 2| 8| 9| -1| 7
    Glentoran| 5| 1| 2| 2| 9| 10| -1| 5
    St Patrick's Ath| 5| 1| 2| 2| 6| 7| -1| 5

Although, admittedly, I think this is just a one-off this year, largely due to a poor showing from Pats :(.
    It would be nice to see teams from Wales...
    Yeah, a few quality outfits like Rhyl would really add something to the mix :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Linfield have always been competive not just a poor showning from Pats

Linfield have always been competive not just a poor showning from Pats
    True, but ironically, Pats' only win so far has come against Linfield.

I still think Pats will go through if we put out a good team against Linfield and beat them finally at the Brandywell

I still think Pats will go through if we put out a good team against Linfield and beat them finally at the Brandywell

Yeah, but will you's though??

Am i right in saying that assuming we win (cos if we don't, that's it so might as well just assume) that as long as Linfield don't win, we go though on goal difference at least. Is it goal difference or head to head that decides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Rovers and Bohs will be in it next season which will give it a much needed boost.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is it goal difference or head to head that decides?
    I think it's GD, but it doesn't really matter. If Pats win and Linfield don't, Pats will beat them on both counts.
    Rovers and Bohs will be in it next season which will give it a much needed boost.
    Didn't realise you could get into the Setanta with a sympathy vote?

djpbarry wrote: »
    Didn't realise you could get into the Setanta with a sympathy vote?

4th place will qualify, and we have caught up with a freefalling cork and drogs have tailed off. its very possible.

4th place will qualify, and we have caught up with a freefalling cork and drogs have tailed off. its very possible.

And there was that great result against a strong Galway team last week.

• Advertisement

4th place will qualify...
    How's that?
    ...and we have caught up with a freefalling cork and drogs have tailed off. its very possible.
    Wishful thinking. Rovers have only taken 5 points from their last 5 games; same as Cork. Drogs have taken 8 from their last 5.

If Derry win the LC and one of the teams above Rovers win the cup 4th place gets the Setanta. Its very much within sight. Cork will drop like a stone, Drogs aren't exactly firing on all cylenders.

All I'm saying is the big Dublin 2 in it for the first time will give the thing a boost, Rovers v Linfield would be huge, and it could happen.

bohsman wrote: »
    And there was that great result against a strong Galway team last week.

First game in 3 weeks and we were rusty. No excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think its a 9 team competition next year as well (3 groups of 3) so depending on which association gets the extra spot (or is it a playoff) this would increase the chances of Rovers getting into the competition.

It definitely needs new blood, not sure I can stand another Drogheda v Cork clash.

Anyone know who the NI qualifiers are?(it'll have be based on last season I think, if they are sticking with starting it in March).

If Derry win the LC

Will the league cup winner play the winner of the first division again? Jesus, theres a thought, a group of Shams, Dundalk and Linfield. Tonnes of fun.

First game in 3 weeks and we were rusty. No excuses.

I was talking about the free text service, they claimed it was a great result. Shows that most at Rovers are happy with a good mid table finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bohsman wrote: »
    Shows that most at Rovers are happy with a good mid table finish.

And so they should be. They're part time ffs.

• Advertisement

True but claiming a draw against Galway is a bit over the top and in direct opposition to ONYD who was certain they would qualify for Europe.

Semi Finals

Derry V Cork
    Drogheda V Glentoran

I suddenly find myself interested in this again. Though the next 30 mins will tell for how long!

0-0 after 55 minutes in the Brandywell tonight.

Great win, if not totally fortuitous, for Glentoran last night Vs Drogs. Complete shock as well.

Derry City 0 - 1 Cork City

20 mins to play

Get in. We win 0-1. Final Nov 1st vs Glentoran. Fingers Crossed for a Turners Cross final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Get in. We win 0-1. Final Nov 1st vs Glentoran. Fingers Crossed for a Turners Cross final.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Should be a great final. Important one of the big two from Belfast are in final to help competition grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

How is it decided where the final takes place?? When is it on and how does one acquire tickets???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Itll probably be at the cross. they were saying it would have been held at the cross last year had city beat linfield. heres hopin anyway.

its great for us to reach the final. a win would go some ways to makin up for all the doom and gloom this season.

FAI said before tonights game it will be in either Turners Cross or the Brandywell depending on who the game.

So i guess its Turners Cross. Derry were awful tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Absolutely delighted, it's great to have a final to look forward to, hope it is being played at Turner's Cross as well!

Very tense match to watch though, great cross from Dan and header from TIMMY (:p) for the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Glad to see Cork get to the final. Great result to beat Derry up there. Much happier to see Cork do it than Derry.

Much needed money for them too, €80k for just getting to the final, €150k for the winners I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Not the type of match to set the neutrals heart racing but tense all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Not the type of match to set the neutrals heart racing but tense all the same.

What match would :confused:.
    anyway being a Corkonian I'm glad... have to say it though I wish my fellow Corkonians who refer to Cork as 'da real capital' would stop it ... it's old and tired and just creates resentment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

luckylucky wrote: »
    What match would :confused:.
    anyway being a Corkonian I'm glad... have to say it though I wish my fellow Corkonians who refer to Cork as 'da real capital' would stop it ... it's old and tired and just creates resentment.

I think what he meant is that it was pure sh*te to watch!!

As for "da real capital" stuff, it's just a bit of banter (for most anyway, some deluded Corkonians might have grown to believe it :confused:). I wouldn't get too worked up about it. If it bothers oppositions fans, all the better! Creates a bit more rivalry as well. Plus it gives us Dubs something to laugh about ;).

I agree though, it was an awful game to watch. Hopefully the final is a bit more entertaining (and better than the Londonderry Cup final which was over before half time).

• Advertisement
Advertisement