Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haloumi

Options
  • 23-09-2008 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know if supermarkets usually do Haloumi?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Not really and they usually charge through the nose for it.

I'd suggest you go to an Asian market, there's plenty in Dublin - not sure about elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm in kildare and don't drive so the best I can do is naas. Although if I knew of a place that defo sells it in dublin I could pop in after work. Is it really that expensive? How is it to cook with? I've never tasted it before. Oh, and is it at all intimitadting going into an asian shop?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

OK well if it's a case of having to travel for it, it would be best to find it local as whatever you save on the price, you'll spend on travelling.

I don't know the shops in Kildare too well but would guess that you would only find it in the larger supermarkets, as that has been my experience in Dublin.

As for the availability in Dublin, all the Asian markets that I've been in have it:
    Mary St
    Parnell St
    Georges St
    Richmond St S
    Camden St
    Drury St

Actually there's one on upper Abbey St at the Luas stop, by Jervis - I'm not sure if they would have it.

It isn't really that intimidating. Of course there are more people who look Asian in there but you won't be the only pasty Irish-looking one! In the ones run by Arabs, they tend to look at you a bit more, but its just a cultural thing. Don't let that put you off getting a good bargain - they're also fantastic places to get great value rice, naan, pitta, spices, beans, nuts - way cheaper than supermarkets & you can buy much larger bags.

I'm in kildare and don't drive so the best I can do is naas. Although if I knew of a place that defo sells it in dublin I could pop in after work. Is it really that expensive? How is it to cook with? I've never tasted it before. Oh, and is it at all intimitadting going into an asian shop?

There is a great healthfood shop in Naas. They would probably have it.
    If not Marks and Sparks and Superquinn will.

I didn't realise an asian foodstore would carry Halloumi. I thought it was greek.
    But they definitely aren't intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    There is a great healthfood shop in Naas. They would probably have it.
    If not Marks and Sparks and Superquinn will.

The M&S stuff, though beautifully packaged, is the worst Haloumi I've ever tasted. You should get it in Superquinn or Tesco, certainly I've seen it in all the major supermarkets but that's in sophisticated Dublin.

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    The M&S stuff, though beautifully packaged, is the worst Haloumi I've ever tasted. You should get it in Superquinn or Tesco, certainly I've seen it in all the major supermarkets but that's in sophisticated Dublin.

Really? I tend to buy mine in the health food shop.
    Supermarkets tend to have less range in sophisticated Dublin, not more. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Well my local Dunnes has it and it's cheaper than the local health food store. Same quality too.

I'd suggest trying the cooked haloumi with a good sweet-chilli sauce. Cheesy rubbery gloopy goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks everyone. I will try that health food shop in Naas moonbaby, I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Also I will make my first excrusion into the world of ethnic shopping. :D

So now, I'll mosey off to find some haloumi recipes.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: they dont sell it in the naas shop, I've to call back in two weeks - but i have to make dinner (special occasion) on saturday :( cheese in two weeks wont help. Oh I hate planning dinner when I have people over, I always panic.

Yey Superquinn sells it. woo hoo. Now recipes. :) Skewers with onions, peppers and mushroom for the veggies and skewers with pork for the omnis? (maybe courgette instead of mushroom) Served with a sweet chilli sauce (thanks for the tip) sound ok? I need to impress at this dinner. oh no, what side dish? Crap and now I'll have to change my starter. Panic!

If anyone wants to do up my menu, calm me down and come and cook for me I'll love ya forever.

I've made this one a few times.mm..
    http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/taste-festivals/taste-of-bath-demuths-halloumi-and-quinoa-summer-sensation-recipe_p_1.html

If you're looking for something a bit fancier, Denis Cotter has a great one with halloumi wrapped up in grilled aubergine with pesto.

Also I think yer wan on www.101cookbooks.com has a few recipes on halloumi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i've seen Haloumi in the Discover range available in Superquinn (the same range do the mozzarella), though you may have found it already :) You may want to try the cooking and recipes forum if you need menu ideas (especially for the omnis) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I actually like halloumi best when it's just sliced and grilled - joygasm!

A George Foreman grill is perfect for this, or a ridged griddle pan.

I now have a complete halloumi jones on me...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does anybody know if supermarkets usually do Haloumi?
    You can definitely get it in Dunnes (at least the one in Cornelscourt), and I think I might have seen it in Tesco's as well, but i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

The Fresh supermarkes do it too. Fresh is quite pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I've been buying it in Dunnes cornelscourt recently - dipping it in seasoned flour - frying in olive oil and serving with tomato salad and some chopped coriander. V good and v quick.

Advertisement