Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed/free goldtec hub question.

Options
  • 23-09-2008 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have aquired a Goldtec hub built on Mavic open pro rims. it also came with a 14t cog and a lock ring on one side. my question is...... can i put a 14t freewheel on the other side. The threading looks the same on both sides. Ie; larger threads for the 14t cog and slightly smaller threads for the lockring. Also if a 14t freewheel exists, where is the best place to source one. Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

sounds like a double sided track hub i.e. fixed on both sides. the threading for a freewheel is the same al the way along - no counter-threading for a lockring, so i don't think you will be able to put a freewheel on that hub.

i, for one, think that a good thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

You will! The freewheel's threads are the same as the track sprocket's thread so it'll thread on the other side just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

I'm looking at some wheels for my fixie at the moment. Was told that the ones (rims) you have are good quality and good for irish roads too. However I was advised to go with system ex hubs and sapim race spokes.

But I'm considering getting velocity deep V wheels. At the moment can't find either hubs, spokes nor wheels anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

fish-head wrote: »
    You will! The freewheel's threads are the same as the track sprocket's thread so it'll thread on the other side just fine.

i'm happy to be corrected. so can a freewheel be put on any track hub? i knew the threading was the same but i thought that there wasn't really enough of it to secure a freewheel...

terrible thing to do to a track hub anyway.
    omri wrote: »
    I'm looking at some wheels for my fixie at the moment. Was told that the ones (rims) you have are good quality and good for irish roads too. However I was advised to go with system ex hubs and sapim race spokes.

But I'm considering getting velocity deep V wheels. At the moment can't find either hubs, spokes nor wheels anywhere in Ireland.

i commute on open pros on system-ex hubs, and they're great. the system-ex hubs are actually generic and are sold under several different brands (formula, IRO, etc.); they have sealed cartridge bearings so they're totally maintenance free and pretty waterproof (unlike some genuine track hubs that are really designed for track use). i love the open pro rims. they're quite light, spin up quickly, and have been very strong for me. easy to true too.

for deep-v s you should probably head to ebay. never used them so can't really comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

niceonetom wrote: »
    i'm happy to be corrected. so can a freewheel be put on any track hub? i knew the threading was the same but i thought that there wasn't really enough of it to secure a freewheel...

terrible thing to do to a track hub anyway.

Well, I've never done it myself (as you said, terrible thing to do!) but that's as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement