Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big development to go down the tubes?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Was just reading on the property pin that there are rumours of "a very big project going wallop" in Galway. Any substance to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Heard rumors about crowne plaza, or what ever its called, from someone in the construction business over the weekend. But thats more of a "on hold" than a down the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I had a feeling it might be that place alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I had a feeling it might be that place alright

Going past there on Friday and they were still building away at it. A friend of mine who works with a plastering company has just put in a quote there last week for the plastering work so unless something happened at the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Went past in the bus this morning, didn't get a good look, but I have a feeling that some of the black hoardings saying "Crown plaza" have been replaced by plain green ones with a construction company's name on 'em.

I could be mistaken but am pretty sure that something on the site looked different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Was just reading on the property pin that there are rumours of "a very big project going wallop" in Galway. Any substance to this?

paper never refuses ink and journalists dont make money if they dont write something so giving a general some ones in the red paragraph in a paper wouldnt get much odds in a bookies for probability they would be right.
    I'd say the star signs have about as much credibility

alls going well in the crown plaza, im not involved in construction, personally i hope it all excels and they build a fine spot.im sure thats most peoples intentions too but i do sense lately an atmosphere of almost speculating whose holding a brave face and whose in trouble, no one wishes to give credit to those who are still employing and working through this so called recession.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

alls going well in the crown plaza, im not involved in construction, personally i hope it all excels and they build a fine spot.im sure thats most peoples intentions too but i do sense lately an atmosphere of almost speculating whose holding a brave face and whose in trouble, no one wishes to give credit to those who are still employing and working through this so called recession.
    Maybe you could start the ball rolling with a list of "Galway's Bravest Builders: A tribute to the most stoic and honourable property speculators"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Heard the same story last week from someone who had worked on the site, but they reckoned it was down to losing the anchor tenant(not for the first time) and not financial problems with the builders as stated on Proprety Pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Tribune: Rumours of development collapse 'Absolute Nonsense'

http://www.galwaynews.ie/5098-rumours-development-collapse-039absolute-nonsense039

Heard the same story last week from someone who had worked on the site, but they reckoned it was down to losing the anchor tenant(not for the first time) and not financial problems with the builders as stated on Proprety Pin.

Yup thats exactly what I heard last weekend, waiting on a main anchor to sign up. As I said in my earlier post it was going on hold, not going down the tubes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JamesStephens

Seems it was a tribune journolist who wanted the info so at the start of the thread. fk off and do your own research. I know guys who work there and your speculoting is putting his job in jeopardy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Seems it was a tribune journolist who wanted the info so at the start of the thread. fk off and do your own research. I know guys who work there and your speculoting is putting his job in jeopardy.
    I bet the only exercise you get is jumping to conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

galwaybabe = Tribune employee?

OR

OP on PropertyPin thread = Tribune employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I bet the only exercise you get is jumping to conclusions

LOL Post of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Goddammit this forum is rife with unfounded speculation and rumors.
    Worse than a ladies knitting circle :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JamesStephens

So now we know what paper has being flying a kite on these threads for the past year or so. Stirring it up. They werent' halve as fast to write about there own layoffs when they got rid of the printers and flung there cheques at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Where is that Crowne Plaza development?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

malice_ wrote: »
    Where is that Crowne Plaza development?

In mervue on the site of the old Crown Controls factory hence the name Crown Plaza. Right beside the Eircom building.

I have heard from several different people here in work this morning that Rhatigans are pulling out of this project. Rhatigans are a customer of ours and that news came from the horses mouth apparently. As a result of this Oran Pre Cast laid off 30 workers last week.

You would hope Rhatigans could work out their problems before it came to this. Will have a knock on affect for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That is terrible news for sure :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Yep, looks like Rhatigans are definately pulling out...disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

anyone got anything concrete (sorry!) on this, or is it another Cunningham Higgins...I heard it through the grapevine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alls going well in the crown plaza,
    Not very observant of you.

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Yep, looks like Rhatigans are definately pulling out...disaster

Really? Would like to see a link to that considering this only came out last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

kayos wrote: »
    Really? Would like to see a link to that considering this only came out last Friday.

No link...my house mate who was working on the site told me that its fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

heard they shut the gates yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

very bad news but not unexpected in this current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

The development in question is the one in Mervue, called Crowne Square, or something like that, right?! I just drove by it 20 mins ago, and it looked very open to me. People working on site as usual. Are we talking about the same site?

Maybe they closed the gates on Friday evening because it was, you know, the weekend?...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

aoraki wrote: »
    The development in question is the one in Mervue, called Crowne Square, or something like that, right?! I just drove by it 20 mins ago, and it looked very open to me. People working on site as usual. Are we talking about the same site?

Maybe they closed the gates on Friday evening because it was, you know, the weekend?...:rolleyes:

They are finishing off a certain amount of work to prevent it from deteriorating when the site closes down. It maybe a case of it closing for months or much longer unfortunately. Rhatigans were unable to raise enough capital from the banks to continue with construction. Site is in the process of being wound down. We can expect to a lot more of this in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

So will Rhatigans be winding up all their sites across Galway or just that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

so the rumors that rhatigans are gone bust where just hearsay then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I reckon they won't go bust but they will probably stop the development instead of putting money from the bank into it. I also reckon they would probably have a much better credit history than some of the other developers in Galway. The likes of O'Malley's, Rhatigans & Stewarts are massive Contractors that will see out these bad times. They stand behind their good names unlike a lot of other individuals who setup company after company with a slightly different name with a different family member as the MD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement