Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinvara - broadband options?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi all,

We're considering a move to Kinvara in the next few months (south of Oranmore), but as I work from home, decent broadband is a must. Did some googling, but only options seem to be Airwire (expensive) and some group broadband scheme (whose website seems to be currently down, doh!).

My question: does anyone know if there is DSL broadband available through the phonelines? Failing that, my main preference would be broadband through NTL, but I'm guessing it doesn't go out that far?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

thanks,
    lampsie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to http://www.kinvara.com/community/broadband.html
    Broadband providers are currently "rolling out" their broadband networks in Ireland, with the higher density population centres being given priority. Areas like Kinvara, will be left until last. However, if we can demonstrate that their is a demand for broadband in the Kinvara area, we might be able to get the providers to move Kinvara to a higher priority.

A new website has been setup by the Department of Communications, whereby people can vote for Broadband in their area. If you would like to see broadband in Kinvara, please goto www.broadband.gov.ie and cast your vote.

Eircom currently have a NEW option on their web site re: Broadband Trigger Programme, which they say could lead to broadband being introduced to an area. For those that would like to see broadband come to Kinvara, please go to www.eircom.ie and follow the instructions. Even if you had cast a vote previously, please do so again.

Kinvara Community Council has set up a working group, that is currently investigating other possibilities for introducing broadband to Kinvara. If you cast your vote, please also send an email to declan@kinvara.com, in order that the working group can have details of the estimated demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulh19

Hello lampsie,

I think you might be in luck ... I just took the landline number of one of my favourite pubs in Kinvara and ran it through the broadband checker at eircom.ie. It passed. That suggests that DSL is available in the area.

Bear in mind that if you are looking at moving to a new one-off house in the area and it does not have a phone line already then you might need to wait a few weeks or even months for eircom to connect you. That's based on my experience anyhow.

Hope that helps,
    Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

guys,
    thanks a mil for the info, much appreciated!

Cheers,
    lampsie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hello lampsie,

yip the Kinvara exchange is enabled since about last Dec. or so. I'm with BT Option 3 and consistently get a wonderful speeds of over ~6500 kb/s. There was a group scheme kgbb.net but that recently wound up. It was created a provided a great service as the telcos took many years to bring BB locally.
    What was their network is in the process of being migrated to Lighthouse networks (http://www.lightnet.ie/pricing.html)
    Finally, as a blow in (since 2001), it's my slightly biased opinion that Kinvara is a really great place to live.....
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

www.airwire.ie is another provider.

ValerieR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hi folks,
    Apologies for digging up an old thread but just wondering what is the latest broadband options for Kinvara. I will be moving to Mountscribe side soon and have been getting mixed reports on what is the best option there
    Thanks in advance
    GB

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I'm also interested to know the options.
    Is Eircom the main supplier now in Kinvara?
    They're basic broadband price is extortionate, 45 euro pm.

Is there anything cheaper available with 1Mb+ ?

Advertisement