Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Views on Abode Flex

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering what sort of opinions are out there on Abode Flex?
    Will it be one of the ways forward for large commercial websites etc.?

This week in work, I along with others are doing flex training, our company is currently using it to create some pretty nifty RIAs.

I'll post a few opinions of my own as I go through the material.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hi All,

I was wondering what sort of opinions are out there on Abode Flex?
    Will it be one of the ways forward for large commercial websites etc.?

This week in work, I along with others are doing flex training, our company is currently using it to create some pretty nifty RIAs.

I'll post a few opinions of my own as I go through the material.

I'm using it to develop an application as part of my job. It's pretty cool tbh, albeit a bit buggy in places. It's so good java fx and silverlight are trying to replicate what it does. It's not the be all and end all of gui/front end visual components but definitely allows you to mock up something that looks good very quickly. I found it easy to pick up, but then i'm a java developer.

using states, handlers and data binding may be nothing new, but it does make stuff that mimics ajax functionality cross platform. This is very big from a company point of view obviously. I heard of quiet a few companies that are using it currently. It might not be the way forward but it is being used now - some technologies get picked ahead of others for many different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well, after spending the last few days doing the beginner course, I'm pretty impressed.

It certainly can create some new and unique experiences for web users and seems pretty easy enough to work with. It certainly can provide a more interactive experience.

The biggest issue is if the user has a slow connection as many Flex RIAs are pretty bulky, although I'm sure steps can be taken to optimise it as much as possible.

For a cool example of Flex, check out Virtual Earth Live on the Discovery Channel website:

http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/discovery-earth-live/discovery-earth-live.html

I'll see how I get on with the more advanced course I'm doing next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I assume accessibility is zero?

Advertisement