Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your House Insurance and your firearms

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am buying a house in the very near future and have to get house insurance. One of my big concerns is will they cover my firearms if stolen from the house or will they give me the option to cover them outside of the home too?

So does your insurance company cover the above and if so who are they?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Veg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Vegeta,

I have my firearms insured under the contents of my house policy. All they need is a list of serial nos and make/model etc. They would be insured outside the home under an "all risk" policy, the main thing to remember is that with a high policy excess ( the part where in the event of a claim the insured carries the first x amount of the claim) it might not be worthwhile claiming in the event of loss or damage. Most insurers should insure them.

If I was you, I'd avoid insurance brokers, instead go directly to the insurance companies - brokers will add another 10% to your premium.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Vegeta wrote: »

I've mine named individually as high value items on the house policy and they are covered. I use Hibernian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I've mine named individually as high value items on the house policy and they are covered. I use Hibernian.

Thanks folks this is good info to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

+1 for hibernian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jonty wrote: »
    +1 for hibernian

Sh1te

I have just discovered that because i have health insurance and car insurance with Quinn I get free house insurance too. While its free I wonder will they be as no frills as their other policies.

I will call them and see, will report back

Veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If stolen from the house, then they are deemed CONTENTS and are covered, subject to high value items etc.

If you want accidental damage or to cover theft when out of the house, you need to put them on the ALL RISKS section of your policy. The rate can be between 1% and 1.5% of the value, depending on insurer.

You should also ask about LIABILITY cover, should you be unfortunate enough to cause injury to a third party. Some insurers charge an extra premium for this PUBLIC LIABILITY cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Vegeta

There were a few good threads up here a few months ago on this. I think there are only two companies FBD/Hibernina that will give u the cover u want. Mine are covered individually in the house as well as individual items binos/rangefinder etc. They are also cover if stolen while out and about, say from the car. Finally there is a accidental damage cover for the firearms as well.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

kerryman12 wrote: »
    Vegeta

There were a few good threads up here a few months ago on this. I think there are only two companies FBD/Hibernina that will give u the cover u want. Mine are covered individually in the house as well as individual items binos/rangefinder etc. They are also cover if stolen while out and about, say from the car. Finally there is a accidental damage cover for the firearms as well.

Regards

i am with F B D if you tell them like i did i have cover my rifle and scope
    they ask about were in the house the rifle was keep so i told them were
    and sent in photo of my two safes steve:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 feltonfitz

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am buying a house in the very near future and have to get house insurance. One of my big concerns is will they cover my firearms if stolen from the house or will they give me the option to cover them outside of the home too?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Veg

We have our guns insured on a special policy from Collectibles Insurance - www.collectinsure.com

Advertisement