Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a wimp or what?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

My friend has a .22/250 and yesterday evening he asked me to fire a few shots to check his zero as he was having trouble with accuracy.

So I fired about 15 shots for him. Well spread out. Fire 2, unload, go and mark/view the target etc

2 things struck me, one was the trigger was at about 6lbs+ or something I'd say but I got over that.

The other was the felt recoil from the rifle was cruel. This was my first time firing a .22/250 and I was very surprised by how hard it seemed to recoil. I thought because it was the lower end of the centerfire scale it would be lovely to shoot. So is the .22/250 normally known as a heavy recoiling rifle or was I a little over sensitive yesterday. I was only wearing a t-shirt and fleece so maybe it was lack of padding. my shoulder is still bloody sore

My brother's .243 and my .223 seem like peashooters in comparison.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Vegeta, What is the make of the Rifle.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok yeah I forgot to mention that ooooooppps :o

Its an old Tikka, is it 595 or something. Its not that sleek either like some sporting rifles. Again I was really surprised by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Vegeta wrote: »
    Ok yeah I forgot to mention that ooooooppps :o

Its an old Tikka, is it 595 or something. Its not that sleek either like some sporting rifles. Again I was really surprised by it.

I don't want this to sound wrong but I have used a Parke Hale 22.250 since 1972 and I never found the recoil to be bad. Does the Tikka have a shoulder pad.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »

I don't want this to sound wrong but I have used a Parke Hale 22.250 since 1972 and I never found the recoil to be bad. Does the Tikka have a shoulder pad.

Sikamick

Yeah a thin little flimsy one.

I know, I was expecting around the same as my .223 but it was much more punishing to shoot.

Grand just wanted to know was I missing a beat or something.

I'd say it had something to do with my body position too, I wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It could be that the recoil pad is completely useless. You can pick them up in most places, or online (but would cost more in P&P) Some are fixed to the butt of the gun and others you can carry with your and fit to both rifles and shotguns. Personaly I find the .243 kicks like a mule. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Yeah a thin little flimsy one.

I know, I was expecting around the same as my .223 but it was much more punishing to shoot.

Grand just wanted to know was I missing a beat or something.

I'd say it had something to do with my body position too, I wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked.

WIMP :D

jwshooter wrote: »

I deserved that. :pac:

finger hovers over the ban button.....................joke

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

check out this recoil table!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

The .22lr is 0.2

the .22/250 comes in at 4.7

whereas the .460 Wby. Mag. is 99.6

I've fired a .375 H&H Mag and that does hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Have to agree with JW :p try SMLE jungle carbine for 20 shots and then you'll see brusing, dirty pig of a thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

The other was the felt recoil from the rifle was cruel. This was my first time firing a .22/250 and I was very surprised by how hard it seemed to recoil.

:D The first few shots with my new .308 resulted in a bruised cheek. I didn't take into consideration that I was going from a 45gr bullet from the .223 to a 150gr bullet with the .308, not to mention I forgot to put the ear defenders on for one shot. I won't forget again.... :D

• Advertisement

Trojan do you hear the BELLS??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Trojan do you hear the BELLS??

WHAT DID YOU SAY? SPEAK UP MAN....... :D

(I did for quite a bit ..... it actually hurt for some minutes after, Ok now though.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

jwshooter wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    Your too used to moderators. I once fired a .416 rigby in a 100meter underground range in Germany, thought i'd ruptured my liver:D
    No moderators allowed in Germany and if you're using anything less than 8x75mm, .338win mag or 9.3x62mm you're a wimp. :D:D:D

John been there done that, they'd send the young lads out to play with the little .308!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

:D:D:D
    Your too used to moderators. I once fired a .416 rigby in a 100meter underground range in Germany, thought i'd ruptured my liver:D
    No moderators allowed in Germany and if you're using anything less than 8x75mm, .338win mag or 9.3x62mm you're a wimp. :D:D:D

416 Rigby ,now that is a respectable calibre.True about the cals and moderator over there John.Did they try to get you to rapid fire the 416??They did in my case.Thankfully,the rifle had an appx 2in thick recoil pad.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

How would a .308 compare with a shotgun (12g)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Can't speak for recoil personally, but I've been told it's about the same. It is far, far louder however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I think the .308 feels a bit less than a shotgun kick wise.
    but I guess it also depends on the firearm weight, design,
    pad on the butt plate etc.

To this day. not matter what firearm I have ever fired
    Recoil has never bothered me in the slightest.

When I was a kid I was fireing my fathers air rifle,
    growing up as a teenager I spend about 6-7 years in the
    FCA fireing 303, 7.62, 9mm etc etc and was used to whatever recoil or kick they gave from their respective firearms and it did not bother me at all.

When I got the chance to fire from different rifles that we
    use here in Ireland at various times I've yet to find something that has any kick that I would consider uncomfortable.

I only currently own a 12g and a .17HMR and being Honest for the rifle at least sometimes
    it annoys me there is feck all recoil off the rimfire and would welcome a nice hard kick that you may get
    from something bigger.

~B

I have come to the conclusion it was body position and flimsy recoil pad.

I made a conscious effort to put the stock in my shoulder pocket but it seemed to keep hitting my collar bone which is where the pain was coming into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

here's a odd on ive a 243 i shoot it no proplems love putting a box of 20 tru it the odd day in the summer then there is this AIR ARMS spring break barrel air rifle after 10 shots i'd put away all because when i first got it i fired lots tru it as you would it being the new toy,but i ended up with a mad pain in my head i taught it was just me at the time, but when i went to use it again same thing happened again and again, i gave up and sold it and bought a Daystate pcp a dream to shoot, they say a springer can reck the best of scopes this one was trying to reck me.

• Advertisement

here's a odd on ive a 243 i shoot it no proplems love putting a box of 20 tru it the odd day in the summer then there is this AIR ARMS spring break barrel air rifle after 10 shots i'd put away all because when i first got it i fired lots tru it as you would it being the new toy,but i ended up with a mad pain in my head i taught it was just me at the time, but when i went to use it again same thing happened again and again, i gave up and sold it and bought a Daystate pcp a dream to shoot, they say a springer can reck the best of scopes this one was trying to reck me.

Strange you mention that, I am prone to headaches myself when shooting uncomfortable rifles.

Well I fired a .300 Win Mag last night for the first time and that was nowhere near as sore as the .22/250. It pushed a lot more but there was no pain like the .22/250. Poor body position is what it was. Also the .300 win mag had a lovely recoil pad.

Looking forward to shooting it again actually

Advertisement