Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many MB do you download a second on a 10MB line?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering what you download a second on a 10MB line if you are at MAX download speed. Is it 1MB/Second?

So if you download 20gig at max speed from start to finish it would take

1GB = 1024MB

So would it be 1024mb / 60 seconds = 17min 7second a gig x 20GB = 6 hours 42 mins and 3 seconds ?

Am i right in that,, or does a 10MB line download at about 1.1MB/s or 1.2MB/s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You mean a 10Mb line (note the small b).

Data transfer rates are _always_ measured in bits per second, not bytes (as data that has been stored on a hard drive would be).

So a 10Mbit per second line will give you 1.25MBytes per second theoretically (8 bits in a byte). However protocol overhead (TCP or UDP) will eat into this by about 3-5% - so in reality you will see about 1.2MBytes/second at its absolute best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Assuming you discount the overheads a 10MB (~80Mbit) line will download at 10MB/s.

On the other hand if you meant a 10Mbit line then discounting overheads it will download at ~1.25MB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's hard to give an exact figure because it can also depend on what type of traffic you're accessing to determine how many bits it takes to transmist a byte. Control and error-checking bits add an overhead, but you'll never be able to say exactly. A general rough guideline for network speeds is 10bits to a byte.

Also in terms of networks = 10Mbit = 10,000,000 bits/sec. So If you take the rule of ten above, then that's 1,000,000 bytes/sec, or around 679.56 KB/sec, which is 0.954 MB/sec.

If you ignore overheads and say that one byte = 8 bits, then 10Mbit = 1.19 MBytes/sec. If you're getting a download speed between 0.9 and 1.2 MB/sec, then that's normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Sorry i did mean 10Mbit,, I'm on the NTL 10mb line,

taken all in,, Would i be close with my maths ?. If you where downloading at FULL speed with no breaks, Now i know that might not happen. But i'm just wondering if it could happen would i be close,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends.
    If you take my figures, then the longest it will take is around 21467.5 secs ~= 5 hours, 58 minutes.

The shortest it might take is 17210 secs ~= 4 hours, 47 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

great,

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I usually max my 10Mb line at around 1100kb/s

Hmmm pure leech too :)

Advertisement