Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus 2.0TDCi consumption

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I'm getting around 41mpg with a mix of motorway and town use, this falls short of the claimed 51mpg average (What Car). I don't drive it hard.

Just wondering if this is typical, falling short of claimed figures, or is something amiss. I know this model is not available here, but maybe Mondeo 2.0TDCi owners could let me know what kind of mpg they are getting.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The claimed mileage is never really achievable; its more like ideal conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I have a Mondeo 2.0 TDci and get 45 - 46 mpg. It would be heavier than the focus so I@ think you could get more. The best I ever got was 47mpg and that was on a long drive at a constaint speed, ideal conditions warm dry and no wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I'm getting around 41mpg with a mix of motorway and town use, this falls short of the claimed 51mpg average .

Is that the 143 bhp motor? The wife's 2 litre 6-speed S-MAX does the same as your Focus, 41mpg in mixed use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It is the 134bhp version, I guess the 41mpg is what I can expect then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You'll never, ever, get the claimed mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It is the 134bhp version, I guess the 41mpg is what I can expect then.

I'd say the Focus should do better than an S-Max or Mondeo with the same engine, particularly as the S-Max wrings out a few more bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've the 1.6 TDCi (110bhp) Focus and I am getting 53mpg mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Never rely on the Ford consumption figures.

My mondeo 1.8 125bhp diesel is supposed to get 48mpg on mixed.

I can get 46mpg when driven gently and never going over 100kmph on a long drive. Tested on a trip to Castlebar from Newbridge. No motorway. Revs are just below 2000 on 6th gear at 100kmph.

But once I get to motorway speed it gets to 2200 in 6th at 120kmph. It is sitting on the turbo and you great accelaration at this even in 6th but the trade off is fuel consumption. A trip to Belfast from Newbridge with motorway all the way and I get just 43mpg consistently.

I assume that the 2.0TDCI Focus turbo range is the same and kicks in at 2100 to 2200 revs. And this is where it eats fuel. It is a heavy engine and you will see bad wear on your front tyres by 30000km. I switched to Bridgestones instead of Continental that all Fords come with and they appear to be wearing much better.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

It is a Peugeot HDi engine and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the one fitted to the Mondeo.

I get 50-54 mpg fairly consistantly from my 1.8 TDCi Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

keep it serviced regularly that could help I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement