Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh Which do I pick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Looking at getting involved in the whole Fixie Cult thing and I'm looking at the following

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/index.html?action=97 with the courier bars

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Felt_Dispatch_2009/5360038964/

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=23598

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Charge_Plug_2009/5360039090/

It's a tough call. I really like the Pearson but then I have to justify the extra €200 compared to some of the others.

What opinions does everyone have on them?

From pure astectics I'd go with the Felt Dispatch, its a gorgeous looking bike. !! I don't know much about single speeds but I reckon they'd all be in or around the same level in regards to quality.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

christ, another one bites the proverbial...

i just went through this process a couple of weeks ago and looked at these bikes too.

the question is: what do you want?

the pearson has a longer wheelbase and slacker angles so it would have a smoother more stable ride over long distance - it;s basically a winter training fix bike for roadies. aluminium frame, carbon fork.

the felt has steeper angles and a shorter wheelbase so it'll be slightly more buzzy, but more responsive and chuckable in traffic. it more trackish than the pearson. aluminium frame, carbon fork. who has one around here? show yourself!

the bowery, well that's a lot of money for a bowery, crazy really. fairly standard giant road geometry (perhaps with a raise bb - not sure) if you want those bars and cranks, buy the basic bowery (for €350 or somethng) then start customising. aluminium frame, steel fork. heavy for an ali bike, but pretty and very solid.

the plug is steel, so heavier, potentially flexier, but probably more resistant to abuse. i don't know much about its geometry, but i like the horizontal toptube, the finishing kit, and the sugino cranks are nice.

i replaced my langster with a capo but immediately upgraded the wheels, drivetrain and handlebars so that would up the budget significantly if you're starting from scratch. amazing frame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'll be using the bike for my commute which is a 40km round trip.It's a relatively flat cycle, Ratoath to Finglas, there's not much nipping in around traffic so maybe the Pearson will be best suited for my needs. I suppose the Giant would be too uncomfortable but it does look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I have the plug and love it, but compared to the others you're looking at it would be more at the commuter/tough street bike end of things.

niceonetom seems to have done his research and knows what he's talking about.

As others have said it's all about what you want it for. That choice will rule the plug in or out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodo has the Felt, so I suspect he'll be along soon to tell you not to get one (he loves being unique :) )

I'd through the Langster and Paddy Wagon into the mix... I've had both, and very happy with them. If it's a 20k each way with little traffic, I'd say not to go for the Giant, and stick with drops, just to make it a little more comfortable and give you the extra hand positions, but again that's down to personal preference. The Langster is also a fairly racy setup, and feels a lot more responsive and nippy when compared to may Paddy Wagon (but I think that's as much due to the fact that the Langster is Alu/Carbon fork vs Steel, and is a size smaller so easier to chuck about)

So, to recap, go for an Alu/Carbon fork one with a bit racier geometry -that'd be the Pearson, Felt, or Langster

Or you could look at the Fuji Track, or Bianchi Pista -racy geometry on both of 'em :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Pearson are doing the regular Bowery for less than €300 I think. Though I hear the sizing is bit odd on it. Aesthetics - Felt

You'd probably be able to find some of the fixed gear chaps on here would build you something for cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

For your purposes, not the Plug (heavy) or the Bowery (look at it!). On a 20km commute you'd need something comfortable (and fast) - like the Felt, Pearson, Specialized Langster or Genesis Flyer/Skyline.

A frame that can take full length mudguards would be a big plus too - I think all the above can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Pearson also have the 2008 Bowery for only £225, I have one and am very happy with it. So if you want to save money and with no obvious downside I would certainly suggest that.

If money was no object with the ones you linked I would probably go for the Pearson Touche.

The pimped-up Bowery is just a bit much IMHO and overpriced considering you can get one for 225. Don't know about pursuit bars for a 20km road commute either :D

The Charge Plug is the best looking bike of the four IMHO but might be a bit heavy and doesn't have drops.

Any reason you are not considering a Langster at that pricepoint? Cheaper than any of them and lighter too.

BTW for a 40km round trip I would want drops; you will too the first day you have a headwind.

I forgot about the Langster. I'm just starting to look around so I'm open to suggestions.

Headwind?? If there's a slight breeze I'll drive:D

No seriously if I keep the commute up over the winter I'd seriously think about selling my car in the Spring. That'll be my bit done for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I've been commuting on a Langster for two years, not as hefty a distance as yourself, but it has served me well.

Right now I'm looking into adding another bike to my modest fleet, one with a steel frame, horizontal top tube and a flip flop hub. The idea is to get a good baby seat and start transporting the three year old about on it.

Oooh look, that Charge Plug ticks all the boxes!!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I have a 1 year old who I know would love to get out on the back of the bike, so I'll invest in one of those seats also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a 1 year old who I know would love to get out on the back of the bike, so I'll invest in one of those seats also.

O/T a bit, but it's your thread so I assume it's OK. :)

I've got a Hamax Sleepy. Have only tried it with the (small) 3 y/o, but it's a nice design, with suspension provided by the seattube-mounted prongs.

I don't like the straps though - quite thin, no padding, not like a car seat at all. I wouldn't like to crash it.

Also, need some Velcro on the back of son's helmet, as despite the recline capability his little head still flops out when asleep, which alarms other road users.

Lumen wrote: »
    O/T a bit, but it's your thread so I assume it's OK. :)

I've got a Hamax Sleepy. Have only tried it with the (small) 3 y/o, but it's a nice design, with suspension provided by the seattube-mounted prongs.

I don't like the straps though - quite thin, no padding, not like a car seat at all. I wouldn't like to crash it.

Also, need some Velcro on the back of son's helmet, as despite the recline capability his little head still flops out when asleep, which alarms other road users.

I'd only bring her out for very short trips, like to the shops. I think she'd be too excited to go to sleep anyway.

I've never actually used one of the child seats, can you put them in aged 1 or 2?

I've never actually used one of the child seats, can you put them in aged 1 or 2?

Yes. We hired two bikes in Spain a few weeks ago, and the 14 month old (runt of the litter, absolutely tiny) was fine.

As long as they can hold their head up, it's OK.

Thing is, they love it. Bought the Hamax a couple of weeks ago and I get pestered for a ride every night when I get home. The Hamax slots in and out in about 10 seconds, so it's no bother.

You will be doing more than quick runs to the shop!

Lumen wrote: »
    I get pestered for a ride every night when I get home.

Lucky man!:D:D

rofl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

DirkVoodo has the Felt, so I suspect he'll be along soon to tell you not to get one (he loves being unique :) )

Phew! Sorry I'm late!

Yes, the felt is very nice and I am absolutely smitten with it, but beware the low gearing (39x16). Its very easy to spin out on the flat so if you don't have a hilly route home then its something to consider.

On the plus sides, its a beautifully finished bike, all top notch track parts (well, decent parts) and the frame, while not a traditional fixie frame, is gorgeous. Its a proper road frame complete with carbon fork, handy for killing the road buzz.

You're more than welcome to have a look at it, its a 54cm (the 08 model, i feel out of date, time to upgrade!).

39-16 would probably suit as I'm relatively new to cycling. What height are you and whats your inseam. I'm 5' 7" with an inseam 30" so I'm not sure if the 54cm would be slightly too big. I seem to be at that awkward height where I'm in between sizes.

I just had a look at the 2009 Langster on-line and it looks pretty good.

The good thing is I'm in no rush so I'll keep looking around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

just a little interjection...

the stock gearing that a bike comes with shouldn't really be a factor in the choice you make here. you can buy a different rear cog for about €20 and change it in 5 minutes - it's not difficult.

dirk, have you considered swapping to a 15t, or maybe even 14t? you'd get places quicker and swap some of that spinning for strength training on the hills... just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Convict

I'm new at this so bear with me - this is my first post. I bought a Touche about three months ago. I've covered 1800Ks. It is an incredible bike. Like some others on this Forum I'd prefer you didn't get one as they are rare in this country. It is light, fast and handles excellently. This morning I cycled from home on the northside to Howth and climbed the hill. I've ridden plenty of geared bikes that wouldn't respond remotely as well as the Pearson. It has an incredible rhythm. If there was a criticism it is that it is difficult not to want to cycle fast on a bike like this. It also looks good and so I don't leave it locked up around town. I have two bikes and use the Pearson when I want to blast along. I was actually looking for a good bike for the money I was prepared to pay. I got that. There are loads of recommendations on the Pearson site and I have to say I can see why.
    I would also say that 54 is far too big for you. I'm 5' 10"/11" and ride a 52 and that is dead comfortable. I upgraded to the Contis, nickel plated chainring, carbon forks and seatpost. No looking back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm 5'10" (well, 9.5") with a 30" inseam and it fits perfectly. I have the saddle at a decent height and the reach is fine.

Tom - I remember you mentioned this before. It probably would be a better idea to switch the rear cog. I think part of me likes those shiny chrome style cranks, I only have black FSA vero ones. I was looking around and the freewheel cogs seem pretty cheap. Its fine for now anyway, I don't mind freewheeling on the way in and when I leave late on a windy evening, I'm thankful not to have to push too hard.

At 1st I wasn't sure but now it's growing on me.

9094-94_LANG_Monaco_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

At 1st I wasn't sure but now it's growing on me.
    Dear Santa,

I have been very good all year, and haven't broken any lights or cycled over any pedestrian, I haven't given the 2 finger salute to any cab drivers ... Can you please bring me the nice Langster I am including the photos of in this letter.

Thank you

x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

That's actually OK looking, grips aside.

I wish they'd put mudguard eyelets on the fork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Holy Crap That Monaco one is sweeeeeeeet !!!

Damn you Aquinas73 !!!!!! I was content but now............

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=17867&catID=429

Murph

Specialized Langster Monaco ordered!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Coola Boola ..... Let us know how you get on with it !!

Murph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Pearson are doing the regular Bowery for less than €300 I think. Though I hear the sizing is bit odd on it.

I actually bottled my order the last time for one of these due to cash flow. What's the deal with the sizing? I'm quite tall at 6'5" so sizing would be a big deal. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

What's so great about these fixies?

Advertisement