Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCS BA Visual Arts Practice

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hiya... I am really interested in doing the ACCS BA in Visual Arts Practice and I was just wondering if anyone has done this course or has any advice on it? Is it possible to get into the hdip after this course, what are job opportunities like etc... Also, what is IADT like, I don't know much about it (am from the deep south lol! :)).

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I'm in the Visual Art Practice course myself (not through the ACCS system but the two sides of course are identical apart from how they're delivered).

It's a very practical course with first year (at least from what i can see) being very tutorial driven with lead classes in life drawing, painting etc with photography and other disciplines taking a side role as well. There are academic elements as well with contextual studies, critique and discussion classes playing a reduced role but still significant. Self-directed projects, while being introduced in semester two of the first year, take a commanding role further along the line and dominate later on.

It's another of those courses that you only get out of it what you put in. If you're determined and ready to really work then you'll fit in just fine.

I don't know about the hDip i'm afraid, an email or phone enquiry to the course head Sinead Hogan should provide all the answers you need in that regard. As for jobs, the course can become what you make of it so you could fit into almost any fine art discipline. The course descriptor drops some hints as well :)http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/SchoolsCourses/SchoolofCreativeArts/BAHonoursinVisualArtsPracticeFineArt/

As for the college itself, again, you get out what you put in. There is a vibrant clubs and societies system and a pub nearby at Bakers corner. The people and staff are approachable and friendly as well and the tea... well... it's a euro for a nice enough cup.

If you're living that far away, have you considered accommodation nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stopandstare

Hi Rhyme,

Thanks a million for the reply! I love the sound of the course - the variety of techniques, not just relying on fine art to create really appeals to me - I come from a computer design background.

It sounds like a really nice, friendly college to go to... I would only be attending by night so the experience would probably be a bit different for me!

I would definatley be moving up there if I did get into the course however I am working away down here at the moment, trying to make up the fees!

Thanks for the advice, I have sent an email to Sinead Hogan with the other questions that I have.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

No problem. It's a great course and really works for the student if they have the motivation.

Good luck.

Advertisement