Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structuring My Training

Options
  • 23-09-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for a bit of help with regards my training for the next few weeks. Going from rowing to cycling so I'm pretty clueless about how training on the bike should work. For the last couple of months I've just been heading out for spins ranging from lung-busting climbs to casual low HR spins depending on the mood/company. I've decided to join on with Orwell Wheelers but that doesn't start up for another 2/3 weeks so was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I'm willing to head out 4/5 times a week. Should I build up my mileage and work at a low HR or mix it up with a few climbing sessions during the week?

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Do you have any particular goals in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Just getting into racing really. Would want to take it seriously and do well rather than just enter for the craic, so not looking to dodge the hard work it'd take.

I'm in a similar boat to yourself. I was talking to a guy from a club the other week. His advice is to just get out with the club training spins as soon as they start up. All the guys will have pegged the effort back a bit as the season has ended. The pace will be easy enough, and you build from there. The race season starts in February. You will probably get the best advice from the guys in the club you joined. Until then, there's probably no point in killing yourself as you will pick it up as you train with the club.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hopefully some of the more experienced racers here will weigh in. I'm in much the same boat myself.

I'd join the club and see what people have to say. If you find you're not getting enough direction, you could get a coach. A friend of mine who wants to take next season very seriously has got some guy in Mayo to advise him. I've no idea how much it costs though.

I'd also try and spend as much time as possible riding with experienced people. I reckon racing is just as much about tactics and skill as it is fitness. Most races aren't that long and are run over a fairly level course. The bare essential is to hang with the bunch at 40kph+ and then have enough left to either a.) contest the sprint or b.) take a flyer off the front before the finish. Sound easy if you put the work in, but I know youngish fit guys who get cleaned out by oul lads in a sprint.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam, have you decided on what club you're joining?

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    Raam, have you decided on what club you're joining?

I have indeed chosen. At the DW Randonee I met up with some of the guys from Swords. I had spoken to one of them on the phone earlier during last week. He was most helpful. They have a sign-on night towards the end of October which I'll go along to.

It's now time to get found out.

Cheers for the help. Guess I'm just being impatient...I've had enough of a lay-off from serious training since the end of the rowing season and I'm getting a bit jumpy at the inconsistent nature of solo training. As much as I'd like to keep hitting climbs and testing my limits, it probably isn't a good idea to train like that at the start of the season.

Raam wrote: »
    I have indeed chosen. At the DW Randonee I met up with some of the guys from Swords. I had spoken to one of them on the phone earlier during last week. He was most helpful. They have a sign-on night towards the end of October which I'll go along to.

It's now time to get found out.

We'll have to do some open races so in that case to race against eachother.
    ...it probably isn't a good idea to train like that at the start of the season.

Well it might be a good idea if you want to win the Christmas hamper race!

No idea what that is but if there's a hamper involved it's definitely worth basing an entire season's training structure around!

We'll have to do some open races so in that case to race against eachother.

It's on!

Forgot about that. I was advised to give them a go. Peadar, there's a nice goal for you

• Advertisement

It's on!

I was half expecting you to say that the only open race you planned to do was the National Hill Climb Championships.

Forgot about that. I was advised to give them a go. Peadar, there's a nice goal for you

Unfortunately I'll be in South Africa...won't be getting a return flight to enter an Xmas race!

Unfortunately I'll be in South Africa...won't be getting a return flight to enter an Xmas race!

There's usually fancy dress involved. Surely that would tempt you into taking a long haul flight????

I was half expecting you to say that the only open race you planned to do was the National Hill Climb Championships.

I think I'd like to give that a go (Peadar, sorry for thread hi-jacking).
    I figure I'll be crucified on flat courses.

There's usually fancy dress involved. Surely that would tempt you into taking a long haul flight????

Oh well then...

No worries. What do most of the race courses consist of? They're not all pan-flat are they??

Seriously, you won't get crucified. You're plenty fast.

What do most of the race courses consist of? They're not all pan-flat are they??

I haven't a notion. Maybe some of the experienced racers on the forum could chime in?

No worries. What do most of the race courses consist of? They're not all pan-flat are they??

Orwell raced on two courses for the club league last year. One was pretty much flat, the other was a lumpier, but nothing you could call a climb either.

Seriously, you won't get crucified. You're plenty fast.

Nah, I know my limits. Relative to non-racers I can hang in there, but anything sustained with people better than me and I will struggle.

Nah, I know my limits. Relative to non-racers I can hang in there, but anything sustained with people better than me and I will struggle.

Because you only just hung in there going up Howth...you total b@stard;)

• Advertisement

Because you only just hung in there going up Howth...you total b@stard;)

Uphill is fine, it's the flat I'm worried about.
    Having said that, I wonder what climbing is like in race conditions.

Was pondering this recently. Mainly because coming across one or two lunatic descenders got me thinking. I mean imagine attacking on a climb only to have everyone get you on the way down. There's plenty of people out there who can throw the bike all over the road much better than me. (Not that I'd be attacking on a climb, but if I were...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Uphill is fine, it's the flat I'm worried about.
    From my very limited experience, if you're good at it, it's fun. However it is a sufferfest. Do you know anyone with a powertap wheel that you could borrow for a weekend? Getting the raw figures on what you can put out is very revealing. There are plenty tables on the web that will put that figure into perspective.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    From my very limited experience, if you're good at it, it's fun. However it is a sufferfest. Do you know anyone with a powertap wheel that you could borrow for a weekend? Getting the raw figures on what you can put out is very revealing. There are plenty tables on the web that will put that figure into perspective.

Argh, I started the day not needing a power-meter. Thanks Diarmuid ;)

Descending is an area that it would pay dividends to be good at. I figure you need bottle, lots of bottle. It's certainly an area that I want to practice.

Argh, I started the day not needing a power-meter. Thanks Diarmuid ;)
    It's not as bad as you think. You can rent a powertap wheel + all the necessary gear for 3 months for about €130 which isn't a bad investment. If you find training with a powermeter doesn't suit you, at least you haven't blown the bank on it and can finish the contract after 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Descending is an area that it would pay dividends to be good at. I figure you need bottle, lots of bottle. It's certainly an area that I want to practice.

You also could do with a few extra kg to help gravity along.... (It's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

For the OP I think studying Joe Friel's book and if you go the powermeter route, Coogan's book are both good buys.

It's not as bad as you think. You can rent a powertap wheel + all the necessary gear for 3 months for about €130 which isn't a bad investment. If you find training with a powermeter doesn't suit you, at least you haven't blown the bank on it and can finish the contract after 3 months.

What about the iBike? http://www.ibikesports.com/
    Are they as good as a powertap set up?

• Advertisement

For the OP I think studying Joe Friel's book and if you go the powermeter route, Coogan's book are both good buys.

Thanks Diarmuid, I've actually had that first book recommended to me already - will definitely take a look.

Advertisement