Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell in Dun Laoghaire/Glasthule?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Nearly puked my breakfast up on the way to work this morning. The smell of the sea along the coast road is horrific? anyone else get it or know why it stinks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Tends to happen around Booterstown, Blackrock as well after a day or two of unseasonably warm weather when the sun hits the seaweed. It can be quite pungent.

Think I read something in the Irish Times last summer about there being some kind of weird algae around Dublin bay that was causing it. I'll see if I can find the article.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Probably the wino's down on the seafront, their a smelly lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tends to happen around Booterstown, Blackrock as well after a day or two of unseasonably warm weather when the sun hits the seaweed.

The tides are lower than average also, so more seaweed is being exposed.

noticed that this morning alright? probably trying to put people off the idea of a nice new seafront that we would use!!!

Would you really go swimming here? if not, vote option A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I noticed the smell by Bulloch Harbour as well. Good old fashoned smell of the sea side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yeah, its the seaweed. the storm surges a couple of weeks ago pushed a lot of seaweed further up the beaches/ seafront than normal. Now its rotting away and the lower tides are not clearing it out.

Advertisement