Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War advice please!

Options
  • 23-09-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just set up my Xbox last weekend. Played Gears of War obsessively for a week and completed the game on Hardcore and Insane, so I decided to set up my Xbox Live connection and venture into online play.

I am now regularly getting my ass, well and truly handed to me and (by the sounds of it) by 14/15 year olds who lack nothing in smugness.

Is there any general tips for online play that anyone more experienced can offer?

I'm aware of active reloads and I'm reasonably proficient with all weapons (Although some people seem to be nailing me with the sniper rifle with out even aiming?! :eek:). So it might just be down to practise, but honestly... all suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Probably down to them being the host. I always find playing gears that the team with the host on it are always at a better advantage because of this. Still alot of theses problems and some of the ones you mentioned will be sorted out when Gears 2 comes out in November :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

A fairly old tip which works with a good few games where there's no crosshairs without zooming in.

Zoom in, can't remember what button it is, haven't played in awhile, so you see the crosshairs, get a lil bit of blue tack and place it in the center of your crosshairs and bingo, when you zoom out you have a home made crosshairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Grab a shotgun and do the whole roll-forward and fire method. cheap as cheese but it works

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's the same with all online games. Play until your eyes bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Limp Bizkit were right in there words, in relation to this game, Keep Rollin Rollin Rollin! :D Shotgun is your friend, as well as smoke and watch out for chainsaw glitchers. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Yeah I'd agree with play til your eyes bleed - worked for me on counterstrike & it worked for me on halo 3.
    One other one, become seriously intimate with the melee attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Buy Call of Duty 4 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Would be inclined to agree with the push for COD4. Having played a large number of these games online I still think COD 4 takes the crown.

djkeogh wrote: »
    Would be inclined to agree with the push for COD4. Having played a large number of these games online I still think COD 4 takes the crown.

CoD4 should only be played on the PC, just can't appreciate the game as much on the consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

R0ot wrote: »
    CoD4 should only be played on the PC, just can't appreciate the game as much on the consoles.

yeah Ive been playing a lot of first person games on consoles which is all good and well - but it's just not the same without the mouse. Aiming with console sticks seems so damn awkward. If someone made a nice mouse and lefthand whatever for first person games on the consoles I'd be one happy monkey. Have COD4 on the pc though - it is a lot better.
    Do they allow the pc & console players ever play against each other on any of these first person games or is it completely exclusive.. seems to me if they did the people with the pc's would surely win.
    although I could just be biased from so many years of mouse gameplay :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Thanks for all the tips.

Melee never seems to pay off for me, but I'll give it a shot (pardon the pun)

I have a couple of mates who play COD4 so I will be getting it.

But like ROot, I've also played this on a friends PC (just missions) and can't imagine it on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

jim o doom wrote: »
    yeah Ive been playing a lot of first person games on consoles which is all good and well - but it's just not the same without the mouse. Aiming with console sticks seems so damn awkward. If someone made a nice mouse and lefthand whatever for first person games on the consoles I'd be one happy monkey. Have COD4 on the pc though - it is a lot better.
    Do they allow the pc & console players ever play against each other on any of these first person games or is it completely exclusive.. seems to me if they did the people with the pc's would surely win.
    although I could just be biased from so many years of mouse gameplay :p

Shadowrun allowed PC vs 360, but the 360 had extra auto-aim, and no one on PC played it through Windows Live anyway.

Certain game I never think should have been made for console, and cod4 is one of them its not really about mouse+keyboard is better over controller as certain games just work on consoles. The multiplayer aspect on its own justifies the PC version over console its just so much better on the PC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Obviously the mouse is always going to be superior way to interact with your games. However, COD4 on the Xbox is still a fantastically enjoyable experience. I play both PC and console games and find a lot of PC gamers can be a little snobby about their preferred format.

That aside GOW is particularly hard to get the hang off thanks to its relatively sparse online options and it is packed with know it all 14-year-old yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

cod 4 xbox is enjoyable because publics are so easy its unbelievable. Tips for gears: learn how to wall bounce, this involves yousing the cover button in firefights to bounce from wall to wall while shooting the shotgun obviously and also zoom in between shotgun shots but dont stay zoomed in. Also that roll thing doesnt really work against people with a brain or who have been playing the game a little while. Pretty easy to get the hang of imo.

Advertisement