Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tutorials - To Go or Not to Go?

• 23-09-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

hey guys was looking at my timetable, i have 2 tutorials , one of them is at at time im not too keen to go to. Do are they essential to go to? are they only for if your struggling in a class?

Is going to Tutorials Essential?? 24 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    79% 19 votes
    College Is overrated, Moodle is Your Best Friend
    20% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

heymayo wrote: »
    hey guys was looking at my timetable, i have 2 tutorials , one of them is at at time im not too keen to go to. Do are they essential to go to? are they only for if your struggling in a class?

I'd definitely go to tutorials. No point in skipping lectures etc now, start as you mean to go on and all that! Anyway, tutorials are the best practice you'll get for the exams and are fairly important imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

depends on wat subject they r in, but if its sumthing lik maths i would consider them a must coz that wat u use wen u r tryin to cram d nite b4 d exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

well its im in AF1 and its accounting so??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Paddy-Megans-Lo

I may be wrong but I heard off a friend doing a science course that attendance in tutorials accounts for a small percentage of the overall grade?
    But I dunno...

yeah i say thats for some subjects allright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

do you wanna pass the year? if you answered yes, then attend tutorials, perfect opportunity to ask people in the know questions on topics which you may not understand or are having trouble with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Go to your tutorials will help you out so much when it comes to exam time in the summer.

Will wrote: »
    do you wanna pass the year? if you answered yes, then attend tutorials, perfect opportunity to ask people in the know questions on topics which you may not understand or are having trouble with.
    if im finding the subject easy its ok to miss out them???? i dont mean ill never go but i can miss the odd one yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I'm in AF3, and I went to about one tutorial in the last two years, and it didn't effect my exam results atall.

That said that doesn't mean I recommend not going, If your having problems with a subject I definitely recommend going, If your fine with it you can afford to give it a skip. Don't assume your fine though, actually do the relevant questions to make sure your fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

If you think you may struggle then go. If you have a good grasp of the subject, you probably don't need to attend but it can never be a bad thing to attend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

This may seem like a stupid question but I'm only a wee secondary school kid! :o What's the difference between a lectuer and a tutorial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Depends on the course.

Go to tutorials if you are doing a difficult course.
    Don't go if you are doing a willy nilly course.
    It will be obvious to yourself which category you fall into.

Lecture - You learn new stuff, take notes etc.
    Lecturer/Professor always there.

Tutorial - You go over stuff you have already learned to reinforce it.
    Lecturer/Professor not always there, sometimes a tutor/phd student etc.

For the harder subjects I found tutorials invaluable and in a few cases
    attending them was the difference between a pass or fail. In a few cases
    the lecturer took note of the attendance for the tutorials and would take
    this into account when marking the exam.

Don't fool yourself with the attitude, "I will study it myself in my own time",
    bull****, you wont. 1 tutoral a week = 12 hours, 2 = 24 hours etc, when it
    comes to the study period you wont have enough time to get this potential
    study in.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Go to your tutorials. Seriously, you may think that you have a great grasp of a subject, but only by doing problems will you realise what level you are at. I know that in my course (Chem&Pharmaceutical Science) that in the three years so far, there has been a very strong correlation between those who failed and those who didnt attend tutorials. For first year you will get away with missing one or two in a subject you are confident in, but if you are anyway shaky, definately go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Also, always great to be seen attending by lecturers. Makes you seem committed to the subject! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Def go. Especially for maths related subjects. And for anything you find even the slightest bit hard.If you do fail, attendance to the tutorials can work slightly in your favour.

Better to do it now than to look back next year when you repeat saying "Yeah....should've gone to some of those"

Believe me!!I know!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

There are people out there who can get away with missing tutorials, who have the discipline to do the tutorial questions provided, in their own time, and therefore know that they know their stuff. But it seems the vast majority of people do not fall into this category...

I'd say go for the first 3 weeks at a bare minimum, find out exactly what happens in the tutorials (not all tutorials are the same, you need to find this out) and then you'll have an idea of how much it's helping you.

Personally, I skipped tutorials galore last year and I was just fine, although I probably should have scored higher, I still came out with very comfortable marks... But that was first year, and I already had a very strong leaving cert in relevant subjects. This year I'm going to go to tutorials for the first 3 weeks, minimum, and probably keep going from there...

Tutorials are not essential, but they will probably help an awful lot.

Advertisement