Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter vegetables...

Options
  • 23-09-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

rather than leave my veg patch idle like I did last year, I'd like to grow some veg over the autumn/winter.

Could people advise me on what can be grown at this time of year?

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

garlic, overwintering onion and shallots and cabbage plants are a few that can be sown now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Check out some of the bean varieties as well - if you go to a rack of veggie seeds at your local supplier, you can read the backs of the packets to see when the optimal planting time is.

Alternatively, keep your veggie patch in tip top condition for early spring planting by sowing some 'green manure' - a mix of beans, peas, sunflowers, lucerne and alfalfa, for instance, which you sow quite thickly and then, when it's three feet high, you dig it back into the veggie patch. Water well after digging in, then cover the patches with cardboard to prevent weeds, and let the worms do their work. When you take the cardboard covers off after the worst of the winter has passed, you'll have fertile earth that you don't have to weed and dig through and break down after it's been ravaged by frosts for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have Leeks, various cabbages,Kales , Spinach and Broccoli planted out for winter.
    The spinach is flying now, hopefully the rest will start to take off.
    The winter could be better than the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Check out some of the bean varieties as well - if you go to a rack of veggie seeds at your local supplier, you can read the backs of the packets to see when the optimal planting time is.

Alternatively, keep your veggie patch in tip top condition for early spring planting by sowing some 'green manure' - a mix of beans, peas, sunflowers, lucerne and alfalfa, for instance, which you sow quite thickly and then, when it's three feet high, you dig it back into the veggie patch. Water well after digging in, then cover the patches with cardboard to prevent weeds, and let the worms do their work. When you take the cardboard covers off after the worst of the winter has passed, you'll have fertile earth that you don't have to weed and dig through and break down after it's been ravaged by frosts for months.

Thanks MAJD. Can you buy ready-mixed packs of green manure, do you know?

Well I went to the local garden centre yesterday and bought cabbage and broccoli plants and got them planted so that's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have Leeks, various cabbages,Kales , Spinach and Broccoli planted out for winter.
    The spinach is flying now, hopefully the rest will start to take off.
    The winter could be better than the summer!

Hello CJ, did you grow you plants from seeds and if so when did you plant them?

Would it be too late now to sow kale seeds?

• Advertisement
Advertisement