Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making NTL BB Wireless

Options
  • 23-09-2008 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hey guys im staying in apartments beside college which have ntl bb. In our room is a ntl router. I have a spare Eircom Nepotia modem and wondering if i take that up could i use that modem and have wireless bb??Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

NTL (upc) isn't dsl afaik, it's cable so would need different equipment.

I'm sure someone will set you right on what you do need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've NTL.. it is cable. I've a Netgear wireless router.. I'll try get the model number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've the Netgear WGR614. But there are many out there that will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

will the eircom router not work ??no?

if not would this router work? http://cgi.ebay.ie/Netgear-WGR614-Wireless-802-11g-cable-DSL-Router_W0QQitemZ260289657702QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44997QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or can i get one for cheap in pc world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

DSL and cable are totally different. The one you posted would probably work.

If the Eircon one has a 4 port switch, try plugging the cable modem into one of the switch ports. Make sure to reboot the NTL modem if you're connecting it to a different device.

• Advertisement

could i get it cheaper in pc world can the delivery is prob another 10 pound sterling or so??

well if i was using the eircom one i was going to plug in in directly to the wall using dsl. not use the ntl router at all if possible?

heymayo wrote: »
    could i get it cheaper in pc world can the delivery is prob another 10 pound sterling or so??

I'm not going to check that for you. :D
    well if i was using the eircom one i was going to plug in in directly to the wall using dsl. not use the ntl router at all if possible?

No, it is a kin to sharpening a pencil in the washing machine. They are two totally different technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You could connect the DSL router to the Cable modem and you should be able to have wireless but you can't just switch one out for the other because as has been said above they are completely different technologies.

You could connect the DSL router to the Cable modem and you should be able to have wireless but you can't just switch one out for the other because as has been said above they are completely different technologies.

That won't necessarily work either. If the router has a built in switch it should. If it is just an access point or has Internet - LAN ports it probably won't, though connecting to the LAN port may work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

paulm17781 wrote: »
    That won't necessarily work either. If the router has a built in switch it should. If it is just an access point or has Internet - LAN ports it probably won't, though connecting to the LAN port may work...

Thats why I said should work :p I'm personally not familiar with this router or modem so couldn't say much more than should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

paulm17781 wrote: »
    DSL and cable are totally different. The one you posted would probably work.

If the Eircon one has a 4 port switch, try plugging the cable modem into one of the switch ports. Make sure to reboot the NTL modem if you're connecting it to a different device.

That won't work. The router feature is connected internally to the DSL Modem. The NTL/UPC modem usually only provides one IP address, so an ethernet WAN router is needed. ANY switch/router/wifi with DSL modem built in WON'T work.

The kind you need has a separate 5th ethernet port usually marked WAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭dodzy

will the eircom router not work ??no?

if not would this router work? http://cgi.ebay.ie/Netgear-WGR614-Wireless-802-11g-cable-DSL-Router_W0QQitemZ260289657702QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44997QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or can i get one for cheap in pc world?

You need a scientific Atlanta 2203 wireless modem ( supplied by NTL ) or similar. This will have a male F-Type connector for your ntl connection. You will then be able to connect to the modem via ethernet cable directly to your pc for internet access. For wireless, you still need above along with something like the netgear 614 you posted earlier. Probable 30yoyos from Komplett.

Voila, you are now wireless. Dead handy to set up. I've changed the netgear for a Linksys wrt series just for messing around with but you should be fine with the netgear.

You don't need the scientific Atlanta 2203 wireless modem. Any ethernet WAN router + WiFi will work with any cable modem (i.e. no built in DSL modem).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dodzy you don't need any specific make/model of router, any ethernet wan router with built in wireless will do as watty has correctly stated!

edited thread title to remove DSL mention :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    dodzy you don't need any specific make/model of router, any ethernet wan router with built in wireless will do as watty has correctly stated!

edited thread title to remove DSL mention :)

Cool so your saying the eircon one will work??? i removed the dsl bit :D

The eircom has DSL modem built in, so it won't work. It doesn't have an ethernet WAN port, only LAN ports.

The router must have a 5th ethernet port INSTEAD of the the dsl phone line modem port.

Argos, Dabs, Maplin, Komplett all have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭dodzy

Apologies Watty, Cabaal, OP

I missed the fact that he had the NTL modem in the room. ( He would need this before he could go any further, would he not ? )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

If you have an Eircom Netopia 2247nwg modem , you will have to connect it to the internet ( and get firmware 7.0.8xx, usually this update is automatic ) and go Expert mode -> Connection -> Lan/Wan ( set it to enabled , this will disable the DSL part of the router, LAN 4 is WAN ) and set connection type on brigied .... and ENJOY !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Thanks sz_danii, this method works a treat

Advertisement