Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So: Why do eircom suck like 10 Dysons?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Saw this link comparing broadband speeds from around the world, from last november; even 10 months ago Japan had an average household penetration of 93mbps. My 3mbps line sucks ass.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0711/

I'm trying to figure it out and just can't. IF magnet can offer 50mbps then a lack of technology is no excuse. Can it be actually be that eircom are just totally clueless, lazy and nearsighted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Well it's to do with the old lines that are there as well.

But ppl on fiber... should they be able to get these speeds?

I'm not techie.. but whats the fastest speed you can put down a fiber optic line?... what is Japan using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

And then they do something stupid like upgarding speeds and not updating their equipment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Fibre will do very fast, I can't remember how fast, at least 4Gbps.

Eircon don't offer as they have a lot of old copper and they won't upgrade it.

Magnet only offer 50 Mpbs where they have fibre, that isn't a lot.

It is a lot to do with lack of technology, lack of caring, lack of population density.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or upgrading the copper...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

population density is a huge part in ireland we all like to have our own nice houses where as in japan a whole lot of people live in apartments so they can run fibre through the walls pretty cost effectively. I read somewhere i think it was on the register that around 80% of the cost of fibre is digging up our roads. according to wikipedia the population density is 5796/km2 in ireland its something like 60.3/km2 but maybe its increased a little since then (if i'm wrong correct me) so that makes it a hell of a lot more cost effective to put fibre down.
    overall population density for japan is 337/km2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya my 2mb from parlico its hiting only 350kb/s its far shi.t

xbox36016 wrote: »
    ya my 2mb from parlico its hiting only 350kb/s its far shi.t
    do you mean your downloading off the net at 350kbits or you did a speedtest that said that

this is what i am geting

328038879.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

this is what i am geting

328038879.png

hehehehehe, thats quality....

I'm gonna get that put onto a poster for my bedroom wall. :D

and the ''fixid it today'' ya sure day did water on the wire and at my house for 3 hours and its evan worse than before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

this is what i am geting

328038879.png

Back in 1986 this would have been just below average

its gone for **** callaway 92 yap 1980s speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

More like 1940s speed

lol hereswegoagan so no msn

fair enough i hope thats a wireless connection and not plugged straight into the wall/router that way it would be possible your just to far away from the router

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

It must be said that a very large number of telco companies are struggling to raise investment at this time for new projects so it may be as you are for the foreseeable future........sorry to say.

no i was right beside it on my loptop

well if you try a cable straight from the modem you might squeeze a few extra bites out of it sorry to say it you should be sharing it with a maximum of 24 people so 2000000/24= 83.3kb oh wasn't expecting that looks like your sharing your line with a lot of people

no i am one off the only 4 whare i live how have bradband thare is only 15 houses whare i live

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

no i am one off the only 4 whare i live how have bradband thare is only 15 houses whare i live
    Are any of them literate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's very easy to blame eircom, they are just doing what commercial companies do in markets with limited competition i.e. maximising their profits.

There's nothing driving the market forward, eircom aren't going to compete with themselves or offer higher speed products 'in the national interest'.

We've suffered from being in a small very poorly regulated market place with a lot of distortions. The drivers of speed elsewhere were the cable companies, our previous cable companies Chorus and NTL relied on the fact that they had exclusive access to BBC and ITV and just failed to invest in broadband infrastructure. That's all changed since Sky digital came along and since UPC took the cable companies over.

Wireless services haven't been capable of providing speeds, although that might change.

We need to be shouting at our idiotic political leaders and ComReg who are supposed to be encouraging competition and driving the market to be more streamlined.

It's a bit like asking how many eircom marketing people does it take to change a light bulb? Answer : none, as they'll just standardise on darkness and charge €39.99 / month for a small flash light.

ya i no this but i have bradband whit 3 nad its hits 3.0mb/s whare i live and my eircom only hits today its 0.040kb/sit is going whorse by the day and thay have bing fixing it for about 3 weaks now so many paple have bing out side my house

Advertisement