Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 Jasper codes

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, for those of you that don't know, Jasper is the name of the new hardware revision for the 360, which incorporates a 65nm GPU and CPU. Basically this should make the 360 run cooler and quieter and use less power, and thus it should be more reliable than previous models (also it's cheaper to produce so MS can cut prices, which happened Friday 19th Sept).

Unfortunately, this does not mean that all 360s sold since friday are using Jasper, most you will find are still the older Falcon models. These are still being sold while the Jaspers are being phased in. I'm looking to buy a 360 but want to make sure I get a newer Jasper to reduce the chances it will die of the horrible red ring of death.

So I've set up this thread to aid other like-minded people. In this thread I'd like people to list a games shop, location, date, and manufacturers code of 360 like I have done below. This way everyone who reads this will know when the Jaspers become available. I've done some searching, and from what I gather (please correct me if I'm wrong) the manufacturers code for the Jaspers should be 835 or greater (where 8 = year, and 35 = week). This code should be on a sticker on the side of a packaged 360.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/frozenfire1/175w.jpg
    Or for those who bought a 360, the manufacturers date can be found on the back of the 360 itself.

Shop: Gamestop
    Model: Premium
    Code: 829
    Date: 19/09/08

Shop: Game
    Code: 826
    Date: 21/09/08

Model: Arcade
    Code: 831
    Date: 21/09/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great post, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nice one! I want to buy a 60 gig or an elite, but ideally want to get a Jasper, think i'll have to wait a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Shop HMV
    Location Blanchardstown
    Model Elite
    Code 0832
    Date 21/9/08

Might be a Jasper (or Casper) from what I'm reading on here http://www.360drives.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FickleHorse

Thanks for the input snake, and I hadn't seen that site before. It has some useful info there. I checked the 2 that claim to be Jasper (I think Casper is a typo) and from reading the comments it doesn't seems like they are. Either way lot 32 is close, and with the price cut, it shouldn't be too long before the Jaspers hit the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I'll hold of buying a 360 until mid November or early December now.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input snake, and I hadn't seen that site before. It has some useful info there. I checked the 2 that claim to be Jasper (I think Casper is a typo) and from reading the comments it doesn't seems like they are. Either way lot 32 is close, and with the price cut, it shouldn't be too long before the Jaspers hit the shelves.

I'm quite tempted to strip mine down, but don't want to yet, but did have a quick peep in through the side vents, didn't see any extra heatsink coming off the GPU, which gives me a little bit of hope. Not to pushed, I might buy the Arcades version next year when Valhalla should hit around xmas next year. And even if my Elite goes 3ROD in 6 months time, when I send it off for repair I'll probably get a Jasper MB back.
    Interesting times ahead in the life cycle of the Xbox 360 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Any word on the reliability of the Jasper? RROD?

Kernel wrote: »
    Any word on the reliability of the Jasper? RROD?

Well as they are shrinking the die on the GPU it will run less hot as it will use less power and thus be easier to cool. So with the rollout of Jasper, there should be very little RROD with this rev of the 360.

Yeah, with a Jasper model it should be quite unlikely that you'll experience a RRoD. That said if you left it running 24/7 it would only be a matter of time. I was tempted to wait for the Valhalla myself, just in case it comes in a slim case, but the end of 2009 is quite far away.

Anyone know how if the dvd drives are different for the Jaspers?

Well let's hope it works properly guys. Have to say, mine has been ok since I fixed the x-clamps, and I'm amazed MS couldn't have revised their hardware to this effect a long time ago. I was able to do it with a drill, some nuts bolts and washers for chrissake! :)

• Advertisement

Shop: HMV
    Code: 833
    Date: 27/09/08

We're getting closer now :)
    Also thanks to the poor girl in HMV who clung onto the 360 for dear life while I checked the code on it, she seemed convinced I was just trying to nick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Date: 27/09/08

We're getting closer now :)
    Also thanks to the poor girl in HMV who clung onto the 360 for dear life while I checked the code on it, she seemed convinced I was just trying to nick it.
    It's a great chat up line all the same.

"Can I see the serial number on your Xbox?" eyebrows.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Stumbled upon this thread and have a couple of quick question. Im looking to buy a 360 myself and am wondering if somebody can clarify this:

The only difference with the Elite model and standard model is that it comes with a bigger HD, HDMi cable? If this is the case ill prob get the 60gig when the Jaspers arrive.

The differences are:
    - 120GB hdd
    - HDMI cable
    - Matte black

I'm going with the 60GB myself and buying a seperate HDMI, unless of course there is a good bundle with the elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thats cool. Thanks.... ill do the same myself when the jaspers come along in 60/120gb.
    :cool:

There's some speculation on the net as to whether these boxes will actually use the Jasper chipset.... I think I'll wait until someone opens one up! :)

A mate just bought the Elite model

Shop: Xtravision
    Model: Elite
    Date: 06/10/08

Cheers Bombleswizzum, here's 1 more

Date: 05/10/08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Still no signs yet.

Still no confirmed sign of the Jaspers yet, I'll do another check this weekend, but in the mean time anyone thinking of buying a 360 soon should check this out. These extra bundles might make it worth waiting a little bit longer.

• Advertisement

Code: 832
    Date: 18/10/08

Code: 834

It's gonna be a couple more weeks at least until these jaspers start showing up, and by the time they arrive, all the game shop's staff are gonna be so pissed off with me going in and asking about the lot numbers they'll all probably just ban me.

Code: 832

Code: 834

It's gonna be a couple more weeks at least until these jaspers start showing up, and by the time they arrive, all the game shop's staff are gonna be so pissed off with me going in and asking about the lot numbers they'll all probably just ban me.

Ha! i'd say your perfectly within your rights to know what you're buying! keep up the good work man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea im thinking about buying another 360 for the new update, I have a feeling there will be something in that update that will check for flashed xboxs so I dont want to get mind banned :P Also want the bigger HD for the game installs aswell. When I go in ill ask about the serial codes!

Thanks FickleHorse!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MatBac

Hi!
    I'm just about to buy a new Xbox 360 since my old "Core" got RRoD for the second time an officialy is dead.
    When in the store I was looking for the so called "Jasper" signs I found on some other websites: An MFR as early as 2008-08-06, Lot 8031 and up (I guess they meen 0831) and TEAM CSON. According to FickleHorse this should be 0835.
    So far I have found two differens versions:

Shop: Elgiganten
    Model: Premium 60GB "Holiday Bundle"
    MFR: 2008-08-08
    LOT: 0834

and...

Shop: COOP
    MFR: 2008-08-10
    LOT: 0839

The thing is that both these had Team ADUE and not Team CSON. Could this still be the famous "Jasper" model? :confused:

Just to clear things up: at present there is NO definite that I can find to tell if a 360 is a Jasper, we really have to wait until someone gets their hands on one and posts pictures up online. I said Lot no. 35 as an estimate based on a tip off that this guy received. In his article he states that he got a tip off that manufacturing of the Jaspers would start on 22nd of August, which would be around the week 34 or 35 mark.

If that tip off is correct, 360's with a lot no. of 0835 or greater should be Jaspers, but that is a very big if. Another way of possibly identifying a Jasper would be if the power supply is less than 175w, which is the current rating for Falcon models, and since the GPU in Jasper is 65nm instead of 90nm, it should draw less power.

However, if Microsoft had a surplus of 175w power supplies, they would more than likely ship them with some Jaspers.

The only thing I really do know is that if you do come across a 360 with a Lot no. of 0835 or greater, and you really can't wait any longer to buy one, you will at least have the possibility that it might possibly be a possible Jasper... possibly :)

As for me, I've waited this long, I reckon I'll hold out a little longer until there's confirmation of how to identify Jaspers, post it up here, and then go Jasper hunting.

1 other mention: this discussion has some further info posted by guys that know a good deal more about this than me, it would be worth keeping an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MatBac

Isn't the LOT number 0839 supposed to reflect when the box is manufactured? How come that the MFR says 2008-08-10 then???

As far as I know the Lot no. is meant to represent the year and week of manufacturing 0839 = 39th week of 2008.

However it could be that instead of it being the date of manufacturing, it could just be that it's the date of a certain shipment of 360s, that could've been manufactured over a period of time. Which would make sense since it is just a lot number. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS, it's just a guess on my part.

Where is the MFR you found, is it on the sticker on the outside of the box, or is it on the machine itself?

I'd recommend posting the same question here, they would have a better idea than I would.

Edit: On checking that forum I see you already asked there MatBac, your way ahead of me there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

The differences are:
    - 120GB hdd
    - HDMI cable
    - Matte black

I'm going with the 60GB myself and buying a seperate HDMI, unless of course there is a good bundle with the elite.

Was in Smyths in limerick today:

360 Pro bundle ( 60gb)
    Extra Wireless Controller
    4 Games - Gears Of War, PGR3, Forza 2, and Halo

PRICE 280.00

Shop: Smyths
    Model: Elite
    Code: 0833
    Date: 26/10/08

Shop: Smyths
    Code: 0820
    Date: 26/10/08

Not much progress made there I'm afraid. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

Sure i posted this already, but just incase.

Shop: Smyths Toys
    Code: 0836
    Date: 22/10/08
    Poss Team ADUE. Cant remember. Getting higher in the numbers though

Advertisement