Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the hell is Phoenix Park classed as Dublin 8 when it's this side of the Liffey?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Did they want a posh postal code?
    It belongs to us Northsiders :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Conyngham Road is D8 also. Honestly, if this is all that upsets you dude, you've way too much time on your hands. Besides, the whole Northside v Southside thing is a load of crap. There's as many scumbags and poshos on the NSide as the SSide.

EDIT: However, I also wonder why it has an even lettered post-code...except I'm wondering without any twisted bitterness and hatred swirling around my mind in turmoil. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Southsiders wouldn't visit it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's all about east coast and west side now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

There is a very simple, practical reason why the Phoenix Park is in Dublin 8 and it has nothing whatever to do with snobbery but with practicality. Long before there were postal codes the James's St Postal Sorting Office looked after the Phoenix Park because it was considered to be closer and more convenient than Phibsborough (Dublin 7). James's St continued in this role when the postal codes were introduced so Dublin 8 it had to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Conyngham Road is D8 also. Honestly, if this is all that upsets you dude, you've way too much time on your hands. Besides, the whole Northside v Southside thing is a load of crap. There's as many scumbags and poshos on the NSide as the SSide.

EDIT: However, I also wonder why it has an even lettered post-code...except I'm wondering without any twisted bitterness and hatred swirling around my mind in turmoil. :D
    The Edit is exactly my sentiments, you see I am just back from D7 after a few pints and one of my mates on IRC caught me out on this and I swore blind I was right... :D

[13:43] <@Dregin&gt; ho ho ho
    [13:43] <@Dregin&gt; Janer got told!
    [14:02] <@Janer-&gt; ya
    [14:02] <@Janer-&gt; no no
    [14:02] <@Janer-&gt; i thanked him too
    [14:02] <@Dregin&gt; :P
    [14:03] <@Janer-&gt; it seems a pity that they had to ruin it for laziness though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Did they want a posh postal code?
    It belongs to us Northsiders :mad:

I would rate D7 as a (marginally) posher postcode than D8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

its because it has a Cricket pitch.

you get the hurling, we get the cricket ok.

Pimms, ice and a slice anyone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

its because it has a Cricket pitch.

you get the hurling, we get the cricket ok.

Pimms, ice and a slice anyone?
    And polo.
    Until polo allows bareback ridden pieballs into the club the park shall remain even numbered. Can you imagine a northsider playing polo?! "Leave it Anto! Deco's Ball !".

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

latenia wrote: »
    I would rate D7 as a (marginally) posher postcode than D8.

Why? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rashers wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

Because D8 is full of scumbag junkies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Downtime wrote: »
    There is a very simple, practical reason why the Phoenix Park is in Dublin 8 and it has nothing whatever to do with snobbery but with practicality. Long before there were postal codes the James's St Postal Sorting Office looked after the Phoenix Park because it was considered to be closer and more convenient than Phibsborough (Dublin 7). James's St continued in this role when the postal codes were introduced so Dublin 8 it had to be.

As a former postal worker I confirm this.

Anyway, Mary couldn't have a northside address :P

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

boneless wrote: »
    Mary couldn't have a northside address :P

Mary is more a true Northsider than most of us here. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Mairt wrote: »

True that. Dublin 8 is a dive so it does not really matter. Aras an Uachtaran is Dublin 8 even though it is 3/4 of a mile north of the Liffey. It should be changed to Dublin 7 or maybe even Dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

True that. Dublin 8 is a dive so it does not really matter. Aras an Uachtaran is Dublin 8 even though it is 3/4 of a mile north of the Liffey. It should be changed to Dublin 7 or maybe even Dublin 15.

Then Mary would be boasting that she lives in Castleknock instead of Cabra :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mairt wrote: »

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OK - the question has been answered.

No need for a north v south debate.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement