Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porcelain Tiles

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, Just wondering do you need to use a wet saw when cutting 600x600 porcelain tiles? Our tiler says you don't. I have also heard mixed reports on sealing. The tiles I have chosen are glazed marble effect porcelain. The shop where I purchased them said they don't need to be sealed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Woniell2000

You don not have to use a wet saw to cut these tiles althoug you do have to use it for your usual obstacles you tile around. If the cutting wheel on your snap cutter is sharp enough they will be fine for working with. As regards to the sealing if you are sure of the tile I am guessing the following
    1. They are porcelain mix which is a porcelain tile with a ceramic top. This means you have a good strong underbody porcelain tile they then put a ceramic top on it with the pattern/style and glaze it in the factory which means the tile does not require sealing.
    2. They may have already been sealed in factory.
    3. The assistant in the shop has confused them as is often the case when they see a shiny tile and presume its glazed.
    If you would like to PM me the tile details and shop I can make some enquiries for you. Hope this helps.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Hate to disagree with what has been said but....

At 600 x 600 I presume that you're talking about floor tiles. In my experience you will not be able to cut porcelain tiles of this size with a normal hand cutter. Nor will you be able to cut them with a small anlge grinder as they will crack. This leaves you with the wet saw!

Unless they are ceramic topped they should be sealed. Generally porcelain tiles take very little sealer anyway but it is good practice to seal them. You'll be glad when the first glass of red wine get spilled... and you at least have a few seconds to get it wiped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Re Avns1s

Hate to disagree with you but ive 2 cutters 1 italian and 1 french which will cut a 100cm tile on the diagonal or straight or whatever with no shatter and no wisp on end of either cut side quickly and accuratly both operated by hand. These are both available to the Irish market and most large contractors will have one or the other. And for the record polished porcelain takes more sealer to complete than most as the top of the tile has been polished off it leaving it extremely porus. All manufacturers recommend at least 2 good coats to ensure a stain free floor.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Re Avns1s

Hate to disagree with you but ive 2 cutters 1 italian and 1 french which will cut a 100cm tile on the diagonal or straight or whatever with no shatter and no wisp on end of either cut side quickly and accuratly both operated by hand. These are both available to the Irish market and most large contractors will have one or the other. And for the record polished porcelain takes more sealer to complete than most as the top of the tile has been polished off it leaving it extremely porus. All manufacturers recommend at least 2 good coats to ensure a stain free floor.

Regards
    Builditwell

Ah well. We'll have to agree to differ. My contribution to the thread is based on my own experience of laying over 100 m2 of polished porcelain tiles in my own house. Maybe they were different to all other types of polished porcelain both in terms of the sealer and the cutting.

Advertisement