Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BOD - The Highs, The Lows

• 23-09-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Given the discussion over on the Leinster-Munster thread about BOD, I thought I'd start a discussion just on him.

Now I don't want bashing, but could various people discuss the player know as Brian O'Driscoll. His career highs (i.e. what made him the "best") his lows (i.e. why/has he lost it?) etc.

There's obviously posters here who've studied the game far more diligently than I have over the years, so would be more knowaledgable on his career over the last 7 or so years.

Please support your answer with reference from the course textbook (i.e. Youtube vids, etc)

Thanks,
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Given the discussion over on the Leinster-Munster thread about BOD, I thought I'd start a discussion just on him.

Now I don't want bashing, but could various people discuss the player know as Brian O'Driscoll. His career highs (i.e. what made him the "best") his lows (i.e. why/has he lost it?) etc.

There's obviously posters here who've studied the game far more diligently than I have over the years, so would be more knowaledgable on his career over the last 7 or so years.

Please support your answer with reference from the course textbook (i.e. Youtube vids, etc)

Thanks,
    Colm
    Don't see any lows. Easily one of the best players that has ever worn a green jersey. Had it all. Amazing burst of pace, strength, vision, offloading, tackling, rugby brain, good jink, ran great lines, was as good at the breakdown as a world class 7.

Except he was never really a captain. But he even made a reasonable job at that so much so that he was made Lions Captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Father Cleary

I have been one of the ones saying he ain’t at the races with a while but i will never forget his performance against Bath in a heiniken cup game 2006??. It was one of the top performances ive seen in any sport. Out rucked the second rows, out tackled the back rows and made more ground than the rest of the backs together. That was his best for me, topped any Lions or Eire game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Highs: Hat trick against France in 2000. That pass to himself against Ulster (crossing, but who cares?). That try against Australi on the 2001 Lions tour. Wow.
    Lows: Becoming a full time tackler who does an amazing amount of work with minimal credit, and who's offensive game has suffered badly due to it. So busy tackling he never seems to do anything imaginative going forward any more. "That" spear tackle on the 2005 Lions tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Highs:

He's almost certainly amongst the best centres the game has ever ever produced.

His tackling and defensive work are superb. At the Ospreys game you could really see him organising the other players. Constantly talking and directing from his position.

Offensively he was and remains one of the most dangerous players in world rugby. The difference between now and then is his recognition. That try against Australia was astonishing. A hattrick against the French at that age? Spellbinding. Were rugby defences not as efficient as they've become we'd see his running all over again, but he remains the most marshalled player in the world, because for so long are tactics were entirely based on giving him the ball.

Lows: He's been overplayed, overexposed and exhausted at times.
    He's been injured for a long long time, and needs an exteneded rest. He packed on weight and strength (now gone) which cost him speed. Not really much bad about him, other than somewhat wayward kicking. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The lows - He's lost too much pace now, the skills remain, and defensively he is awesome, but the cutting edge isn't what it once was, I wouldn't reckon he'll start for the Lions this time.

The highs - One of the best centers who ever held a Gilbert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

He is still a great player but the game has change so much now that he or any other centre dosent have the same amount of room on the pitch anymore. When he scored that hat trick against France in 2001 he had a load of space to play in but for the last 6 years or so he has been marked out of the game.
    His game has changed and I agree with other posters that he is a more defensive player now but he is still the best player we have ever been lucky enough to produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

Unfotunately a very long list of injuries and 10 seasons of professional rugby have taken it's toll but he's definitely one of the best ever Irish players. His attacking role has diminished but he's turned himself into a world class defender now. Leinster and Ireland are just different teams without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Seeing as I think this thread was inspired by my comment on the other thread, I'll give you, as best I can, a general outline of the career so far of the man they call "BO'D".

1998 / 99

The first most interesting thing to note about Brian O'Driscoll, was that he was not only selected in the Irish 6 nations squad of 1999, but he also toured with the Irish squad to Austrlia that year, being capped against Australia - All before he had even broken into the Leinster team. He had not played a single senior game at any level before he was an Irish international playing against Australia.

He was selected on his U21 form, and he was so impressive in the squad they brought him on tour and capped him.

He then went on to feature in every game for Ireland in the 1999 world cup.

1999 / 00

In 2000, O'Driscoll was again in the Irish 6 Nations squad and started against France, a team Ireland had not beaten in Paris for 28 years. In that game Ireland struggled to cope with the French up front, but O'Driscoll kept Ireland in the game, 21 years of age, scoring 3 tries against the mighty French and almost single handedly sinking them to a narrow 27 - 25 defeat. - Only the second Irish player in history to score a Hat Trick against the French.

This was the game Brian O'Driscoll, and the golden generation arrived.
    Try 1
    Try 2
    Try 3

2000 / 01

The following season he went on to play on the British & Irish Lions tour, scoring one of his most famous trys, a superb individual effort from inside his own half and was subsequently nominated for world player of the year.

Lions Try

2001 / 02
    The following season, 2001 / 02 O'Driscoll again played in the 6 Nations, carrying his form through, the highlight of his performances being a hat trick of tries against Scotland. (not on youtube)

Another highligh of that year was winning the first Magners/Celtic League with a brilliant performance in the final vs Munster, playing a big part in setting up the winning try.

He was again nominated for world player of the year this season.

2002 / 03

The following season, 2002 / 03, he captained Ireland for the first time, vs Australia.

2003 / 04

In the 2003 / 04 season he became the full time captain of the Ireland team, and in his first season in charge, Ireland won their first piece of silver ware in nearly 20 years by winning the Triple Crown.

2004 / 05

For the 2004 / 05 season his reputation had grown, and he was named as captain of the Lions team for the 2005 tour to New Zealand. This was to be his first major set back, as he had always been a marked man, however this brought it to new levels, when what should have been the proudest moment of his life, resulted in less than a minute of playing time and a career threatening injury. - So good, that maybe even the might of the All Blacks didn't want to play him at all costs?

2005 / 06

Then came the 2005 / 06 season, when the golden boy of World Rugby probably hit the peak of his powers, but also suffered another big set back in his career.

That season, O'Driscoll inspired Leinster to probably 2 of the greatest Leinster performances of all time.

Leinsters "Miracle Match" in Bath, who were a much bigger team then than they are now, Leinster went in search of a bonus point win away to top the group after taking a bit of a beating at home. Leinster achieved their goal with O'Driscoll scoring a try along the way.

Setting up a couple of exceptional trys also:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nEXs7RPUI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QePdVw980

Leinster then went on to play Tolouse in probably the most famous Leinster victory of all time, a game in which O'Driscoll scored a try.

However Leinster went on to *ahem* lose *ahem* to Munster that year, which is probably one of the most disapointing days for him.

He also led Ireland to a Triple Crown victory this year.

2006 / 07

The next season, O'Driscoll had a good season again, looking for retrebution against Munster, he scored two trys for Leinster (1 - 2) and put in a big defensive display.

In this 2006 / 07 season, he also gave one of his finest individual displays in the Heineken cup, scoring a hat trick of tries against Agen whilst suffering from a viral flu (which caused him to be physically sick on the pitch) and could possibly have had a 4th try :
    First
    Second
    Third
    Fouth?

He was also showing moments of genius that season, and was scoring freely in the Magners League and Heineken Cup and led Ireland to a 3rd Triple crown and was by this stage the leading Irish try scorer of all time.
    (some Leinster trys from that season - 1; 2; 3

2007 / 08

O'Driscoll got a shoulder injury mid way through the previous season and was absent for extended periods following surgery, however was making a recovery to be fit in time for the world cup in France. He was named in the Irish squad, but was still looking to get some match fitness back in the warm up games. But again, O'Driscoll was a targetted man in an off the ball incident. Perhaps this was a sign that another team didn't fancy the prospect of facing O'Driscoll as he seemed to be singled out and targeted (wait until the second replay anout a minute in).

Seemingly, the lock wandered over with O'Driscoll in his sights, and landed a monster hook, fracuring his cheek bone.

However, O'Driscoll is nothing if not tough, and came back to lead a jaded looking Irish side, using a couple of moments of brilliance to drag Ireland through the groups, also scoring against Argentina to give Ireland hope in the group, but it wasn't to be.

He again suffered injury in the 2007 / 08 season, this time his hamstring, and missed the majority of the season, however he made his comeback game at the very end of the Magners league campaign vs Dragons, showing more of his great angles and turn of pace.

2008 / 09

O'Driscoll began the season with a tour to Australia & New Zealand, showing good finishing to secure a try in the Australian test, also putting together a great individual break (no vid) that nearly resulted in another try for Ireland, only the pass did not go to hand, before suffering injury again in his hamstring.

He was fit for the begining of the season proper however and has been in good form for Leinster so far, putting in some big hits in his trade mark fashion and his off loading and angled breaks have been good, very nearly scoring from the half way as he made a break against Edinburgh, only to be pulled back in a last gasp effort by the collar of his jersey. (no vid)

It's a big season for O'Driscoll, however should he stay fit, I would imagine he will put any critics of his to bed and may end his "barron" run of not scoring trys due, in no small part, to the fact that he has not been playing much.

I'm sure he has some things left to prove to himself, but one thing is certain, in my mind at least, is that he has been one of the finest players to ever grace a rugby pitch and still has magical powers left to dazzle us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Nice use of the course text there Jackass :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Fair play on the post...i presume you did you thesus on the subject?!

• Advertisement

Fair play on the post...i presume you did you thesus on the subject?!

haha, not really :p

But my origional post in the other thread was about people who think O'Driscoll has completely lost it and isn't half the player he was etc. etc. so I suppose I decided to put together a little sequence of events to show people in the last 2 seasons alone he's been Irelands best player in a world cup (less than a year ago) and on the tour was excellent also, he's still scoring tries and has scored amazing tries every season and any run he gets in the Leinster team without getting injured he is at his amazing best.

But because he was on & off the scene for a long time and only recovring from one injury then getting injured again, people right him off as "lost it".

I suppose I'm just trying to illistrate how he's still our finest.

The only thing I'd enjoy more than a Jackman hatrick this weekend would be an O'Driscoll one :D

+1! (although CJ and Rocky are interchanagble with the last two names!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Jackass has shown the class what a committed student can do. I hope you've all taken notes and the bar will be raised on post henceforth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Inquitus wrote: »
    I wouldn't reckon he'll start for the Lions this time
    He'll be the first name on the teamsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

fair play for putting all those try's togther,

for me the biggest low/disappointment in his career has been the fact that through poor management he has been burnt out in the last few years. He hasnt had a summer off in years which meant his body just never really gets enough time to recuperate, goes with the teritory though i guess!

one of the highs not yet mentioned was his tackle on the english full back in croke park that day....

JWAD wrote: »

Not a chance, mark my words, and we'll revisit this in the Summer.

Ok-doke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

If he's still the Irish captain, it'd be hard to ignore him. Also, the home nations aren't blessed with incredible centers at the moment. If he's got any sort of form, I can see him being there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

JWAD wrote: »

For the mid week team maybe. I just hope he gets picked on form and not reputation. A disaterous lions tour will have people declaring him a long past it has been and not the star that he is.

I think this could be he's last season(cue cries of he's good for another 2yrs) and would love to see him go out at the top of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Pretty bold words considering the British Isles have hardly any centres of note at the moment.

P.s. another BOD high would be the 'almost' tour to NZ where he scored a lovely little try.

• Advertisement

British Isles? Thought it was great Britain and Ireland?

These islands are actually geographically known as the British Isles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I believe the official term is British and Irish Lions. Personally, I'd prefer the IONA Lions :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

It is but BOD is clearly first choice from this island so whether he makes the team depends on whether the island next door can produce anything better.

Iona Lions may not be such a bad idea, at least is unoffensive! I think you will find that the term British isles has no basis in law and, if you wanted to talk geographically why not just say the Irish isles?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Jackass, I haven't enjoyed a post that much for a long time. Fair play.

And I completely agree. O'Driscoll has been and still is the finest player ever to grace a green jersey. This season he will prove just how much he still has to offer. I find it hard to listen to many of the criticisms levied against him - often it's by people possessing some kind of bias (he's been put on a pedestal and is therefore naturally a target), or else a very limited knowledge of the game (he no longer scores three tries per match = he's lost it). Absolute rubbish.

Of course he's a no-brainer for the Lions. His defensive game is unparalleled, and captain or not, he is a great marshal in the centre of the park. His attacking game has occasionally been more anonymous recently, but only compared to his own usual standards, and because with the advent of video analysis and of course his immense reputation, he's working with a lot less space than before. His role on the pitch has changed therefore (defensive / rucking etc), but he is no less effective.

He would be an absolutely invaluable addition to any team on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Jackass, I haven't enjoyed a post that much for a long time. Fair play.

And I completely agree. O'Driscoll has been and still is the finest player ever to grace a green jersey. This season he will prove just how much he still has to offer. I find it hard to listen to many of the criticisms levied against him - often it's by people possessing some kind of bias (he's been put on a pedestal and is therefore naturally a target), or else a very limited knowledge of the game (he no longer scores three tries per match = he's lost it). Absolute rubbish.

Of course he's a no-brainer for the Lions. His defensive game is unparalleled, and captain or not, he is a great marshal in the centre of the park. His attacking game has occasionally been more anonymous recently, but only compared to his own usual standards, and because with the advent of video analysis and of course his immense reputation, he's working with a lot less space than before. His role on the pitch has changed therefore (defensive / rucking etc), but he is no less effective.

He would be an absolutely invaluable addition to any team on the planet.

Agree with you completely. Anyone that says BOD won't be starting centre for the lions clearly posesses very little knowledge of rugby

Agree with you completely. Anyone that says BOD won't be starting centre for the lions clearly doesn't wear blue tinted glasses and a blue jersey with a harp on it, and as such possesses a sense of objectivity, and is able to make an honest appraisal of the situation!

fixed, to claim this is Munster Leinster ****e is weak, I for one would love to see him play for the Lions, but his recent form means its debatable at best and very very doubtful at worst.

You could argue without bringing in Leinster Munster bias, however you seem to be completely incapable of that come interpro season Inquitus. Any more and you'll be seeing a week away from this forum.

• Advertisement

crash_000 wrote: »
    You could argue without bringing in Leinster Munster bias, however you seem to be completely incapable of that come interpro season Inquitus. Any more and you'll be seeing a week away from this forum.

Meh its got so prevalent on these forums its impossible to let it pass, criticising an Irish player is immediately put down to he did it cos he supports x or y. The poster I responded to said anyone saying BOD won't be first on the team sheet knows very little about rugby, at my age I know more than most, and am well able to be objective and present my arguments with reasons and validations, not just attack anyone who disagrees with my viewpoint. Shame the vast swathe of people who post here can't be objective.

I could happily point out POC may not get a lions spot, unless he has a better season than last, I could happily point out with Ian Mc in charge ROG may well have the season of his life and miss out to Cipriani who may only give a couple of good performances highlighted by UK media Hyperbole. I also feel its fair to point out given BOD's relative loss of form over the past year and the UK / Ian Mc selection bias that I feel its unlikely he'll start for the Lions. But then again maybe you cant distinguish between objective fact based posting and Leinster / Munster driven drivel..............

And you went from posting fact based arguments, to posting ****e about blue tinted glasses. Now, if you have an issue with the warning take it to helpdesk, or continue arguing without bringing it down to provincial crap.

And you went from posting fact based arguments, to posting ****e about blue tinted glasses. Now, if you have an issue with the warning take it to helpdesk, or continue arguing without bringing it down to provincial crap.

The post I responded to gave no reasons, or opinion, just stated anyone who said BOD would not start for the Lions knew nothing about rugby. If you feel I know nothing about rugby then maybe a bans the right course of action.......

As an aside this has nothing to do with the interpros, I have gave my honest assessment on that game backed up by the facts as I percieve them in another thread.

This is a thread about BOD and Lions potential.

Back on Topic from here on in, anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Back on Topic from here on in, anyhow.

Is this an attempt to apologise? As you are clearly letting your own bias factor in. Rugby fanatic is the most one eyed, leinster fan on the forum and his/her comments are always inflamitory, yet he/she goes unchecked.

For shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

As it looks now the only two people who can keep BOD off the lions team sheet are Tom Shanklin or James Simpson Daniel. Neither of which are in sensational form. As usual the 6N before the tour will tell alot.

I dont see how any irish person could begrudge BOD another crack at lions captain. He is about the only player in this country who can say he gives his all everytime he lines out for club and country. Unfortunately this shows in the amount of injuries hes has had and the amount of knocks he takes.

I would love to see a Lions midfield of Henson and O'Driscoll

• Advertisement

In fairness inq was the one who brought up Leinster / provincial shiecse (unless I missed something), and more or less implied that anyone who thinks BO'D is a shoe in for Lions is wearing blue tinted glasses.

I wont express my opinion as from what I've read, apperantly I'd be percieved as wearing blue tinted glasses, but for the last 10 or so years he has, and still is Irelands best and most consistant performer. Plus I don't think another centre comes near him from any of the home nations at present. Except for Earls of course :rolleyes:

Redroar1942: I repeat, if you have any issue on this, please take it to helpdesk. It won't be discussed here from now on, and anyone making comments on another posters leinster/munster bias will be banned. I know coming up to interpro's this comes up significantly more, however posters are free to hold whatever views on a player, no matter how inflamatory you may percieve them to be.

I repeat to all posters, if you have a problem with a post, please REPORT IT.

Now please, back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

Sundy wrote: »
    As it looks now the only two people who can keep BOD off the lions team sheet are Tom Shanklin or James Simpson Daniel. Neither of which are in sensational form. As usual the 6N before the tour will tell alot.

I dont see how any irish person could begrudge BOD another crack at lions captain. He is about the only player in this country who can say he gives his all everytime he lines out for club and country. Unfortunately this shows in the amount of injuries hes has had and the amount of knocks he takes.

I would love to see a Lions midfield of Henson and O'Driscoll

Word on the street is the Cardiff players don't like their new backs coach and some have been dropped because of it, Shanklin will be on the bench for the 4th time in a row this weekend.

JSD is a fantastic player in my opinion but national coaches just won't select him. He'll need to get into the England side before anything, and that is by no means guaranteed.

And while I'm not for a moment condemning it (because it's good fun sometimes) - if you want a Leinster/Munster argument then PlaneyRugby is your only man. Go blow off steam there and talk rugby here.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Yep I agree. The world cup brought many a tear to the eyes of Irish fans, but none more so than O'Driscoll playing his absolute heart out, surrounded by complete indifference and mediocrity. He was the only Irish player to stand up and be counted. Bar no-one. For this and a million other reasons, he truly is a living legend of the game.

Of course sports fans are fickle, but I would expect rugby supporters to have more integrity than most... O'Driscoll has had to cope with a lot of criticism during his career, but he has consistently done what is required of him and more. He has always given his all for Leinster and Ireland, at the expense of his body / career longevity / general physical health. He has had so many injuries only because of the way he constantly puts his body on the line during a match. In my opinion, he's a hero, nothing less.

There will come a time when people yearn for the days of O'Driscoll. Let's not wish these days away now, while this great player has so much still to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

O'Driscoll stil has it and i agree that the guy played his heart out in the world cup while all around him just faded away maybe he is not as fast as he use to be but i'd stil have him in my lions team :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

barnesd wrote: »
    Word on the street is the Cardiff players don't like their new backs coach and some have been dropped because of it, Shanklin will be on the bench for the 4th time in a row this weekend.

JSD is a fantastic player in my opinion but national coaches just won't select him
    . He'll need to get into the England side before anything, and that is by no means guaranteed.

And while I'm not for a moment condemning it (because it's good fun sometimes) - if you want a Leinster/Munster argument then PlaneyRugby is your only man. Go blow off steam there and talk rugby here.

Bloody brilliant player has everything you'd want in a player could of put him up there with Shane Williams for sheer brilliance BUT he is injury prone . Its not that coaches wont select him its the fact that every time he has been selected he's gotten a injury which has set him back another month which is such a shame because his absolutely brilliant try against the Baa Baa' in 2002 is one of my all time favourite tries.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7OKP9N06g

Stev_o wrote: »
    Bloody brilliant player has everything you'd want in a player could of put him up there with Shane Williams for sheer brilliance BUT he is injury prone . Its not that coaches wont select him its the fact that every time he has been selected he's gotten a injury which has set him back another month which is such a shame because his absolutely brilliant try against the Baa Baa' in 2002 is one of my all time favourite tries.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7OKP9N06g
    Lol Stuart Barnes: "that is mesmeric" And i agree

Remind you of anybody?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=KzvnexjWJYg

BoD remains the best player we have and far and away one of the best centres the game has ever produced. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Lol Stuart Barnes: "that is mesmeric" And i agree

Remind you of anybody?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=KzvnexjWJYg

BOD clearly stealing other people's idea's and couldnt even finish it :P I was actually at that match will never forget the Ulster fans next to me quite amusing i must say.

Yes Barnes gets way too excited now imagine if it was Mark Robsinon commentating "OH AND JAMES SIMSPON DANIEL THAT IS JUST BRILLIANT THATS BRILLIANT WORK BY JJJJJJJJAMMMMESSS SIMSPON DANNNIELLL AND I HAVE TO SAY...etc"

In fairness Sky Sports commentators always get overly excited. It's their job after all.

Stev_o wrote: »
    BOD clearly stealing other people's idea's and couldnt even finish it :P I was actually at that match will never forget the Ulster fans next to me quite amusing i must say.

Yes Barnes gets way too excited now imagine if it was Mark Robsinon commentating "OH AND JAMES SIMSPON DANIEL THAT IS JUST BRILLIANT THATS BRILLIANT WORK BY JJJJJJJJAMMMMESSS SIMSPON DANNNIELLL AND I HAVE TO SAY...etc"
    Yeah i was there too, i think if he had have been able to finish it it would have been one of the greatest individual tries ever at landsdowne road. Although BOD didnt have the advantage of being up against a crocked Lomu. Having said that i doubt he has the pace of JSD anymore either.

Personally i find barnes entertaining, well better then fred cogley!

Firstly I just want to say that I am both shocked and appalled by Inquitus' unjust accusing nature and think it was extremely unfair and provacative. However due to it being the inter pro season I am willing to look past it and forgive him as I know how riled up supporters of both teams can get around these times and occasionally some will subject themsevles to this type of behaviour when passion overrides logic. :)

But back on point. I think BOD will certainly make Lions because quite simply he is still one of the worlds best centres. He may not be the attacking centre he once was but defensively he is unparelled. His work rate is also unparelled and most importantly he makes space for other players. Whenever BOD doesn't play Ireland struggle immensely such is his influence, defense and workrate around the pitch. To ignore this because he isn't scoring as many tries anymore is ludicrous to say the least.

Firstly I just want to say that I am both shocked and appalled by Inquitus' unjust accusing nature and think it was extremely unfair and provacative. However due to it being the inter pro season I am willing to look past it and forgive him as I know how riled up supporters of both teams can get around these times and occasionally some will subject themsevles to this type of behaviour when passion overrides logic. :)

But back on point. I think BOD will certainly make Lions because quite simply he is still one of the worlds best centres. He may not be the attacking centre he once was but defensively he is unparelled. His work rate is also unparelled and most importantly he makes space for other players. Whenever BOD doesn't play Ireland struggle immensely such is his influence, defense and workrate around the pitch. To ignore this because he isn't scoring as many tries anymore is ludicrous to say the least.

You made a statement basically calling me an idiot without giving so much as a reason, so I frankly don't care whether you are going to look past it or not.

Just to give some perspective this is where a major Welsh rugby forum sits on BOD's lions chances atm
    "Outside Bets"
    Tait, Patterson, O'Driscoll, Flutey, Lamont, Jones, Blair
    Leamy, Rees, White, AWJ, O'Callaghan, Stevens, Hartley, Sheridan.

This is the general thoughts of Lions fans atm, that BOD is a maybe for the first XV, not something I have dreamed up for the purposes of annoying you or anyone else.

Inq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I agree, Sheridan and Blair are definitely outside bets too.

You made a statement basically calling me an idiot without giving so much as a reason, so I frankly don't care whether you are going to look past it or not. I would say though that your spelling is the only thing unparalleled in this thread.

I said that anyone who doesn't think BOD will be in the Lions squad must have very little knowledge of rugby.It wasn't a swipe at you in particular just a remainder to people to look past the trys and use their head and think of what he does around the pitch and why he is so vital.

Also I come here to discuss rugby not spelling if you want to be childish thats fine.

Just to give some perspective this is where a major Welsh rugby forum sits on BOD's lions chances atm

This is the general thoughts of Lions fans atm, that BOD is a maybe, not something I have dreamed up for the purposes of annoying you or anyone else.

Inq

I never accused you of saying that BOD wouldn't be in the Lions squad to annoy anyone. No one did.

and by the way a lot of Welsh fans dislike BOD immensely I wouldn't take their opinions as much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement