Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland for Ireland!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tauren wrote: »
    Well Staunton, Givens, Brady, Trapatoni and Sven have had no luck so far, sure why not?

Worth a shot, You hold him down, I'll tickle his head. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think Trap is doing the right thing. Ask him once, leave the door open. If he doesn't comeback then f*ck him. It's a shame but he's not at the standard to lose sleep over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I heard a story about a boy crying wolf once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Ireland

According to this he announced his comeback on Monday. Anyone hear anything about this?

Haven't heard anything about him coming back, although I'd more than welcome him.
    The story is farcical though.
    In September 2007, Ireland was at the centre of controversy when, days prior to the Republic of Ireland crunch match against the Czechs, he asked to speak to coach Steve Staunton and told him he'd have to go home because his maternal grandmother had died. Staunton quickly agreed and a private jet was chartered for Ireland's return.

However the media quickly discovered that Ireland's grandmother was not dead, at which point Ireland announced it was his paternal grandmother who died but yet again, reporters discovered that Ireland's paternal grandmother was also still alive, and her relatives had threatened to sue one newspaper that reported her death. Ireland changed his story again, saying one of his grandfathers had divorced and it was his second wife who had died. That was also quickly discovered to be untrue.[12]

Ireland eventually came out with the truth, admitting he had invented a reason to leave the Irish team in order to visit his girlfriend in Cork. "I decided at that stage that I must tell the truth and admit I had told lies," Ireland said. "I realize now it was a massive mistake to say my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it."

Irish coach Staunton was furious at Ireland, who was described by one friend as "living in a world of lies." The coach's mood wasn't helped by the fact Ireland lost 1-0 to the Czechs, which effectively ended their hopes of qualifying. Ireland said his girlfriend had miscarried and that "caused us to panic." The FAI as well as football fans over the country were left to wonder why he hadn't simply told the truth, as a miscarriage would have been sufficient to allow Ireland compassionate leave.

"Jessica (his girlfriend) said she was very lonely and wanted me to come home. She thought they might let me home quicker if they thought my grandmother had died," Ireland explained.

He has not played for Ireland since this controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

shane86 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Ireland

According to this he announced his comeback on Monday. Anyone hear anything about this?

Sure anyone can add to that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

"Jessica (his girlfriend) said she was very lonely and wanted me to come home. She thought they might let me home quicker if they thought my grandmother had died," Ireland explained.

and at the end of all that he said it was his girlfriends idea! the bloke is a joke.

leave him be at City, they'll probably upgrade on him in Jan anyway!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

zAbbo wrote: »
    Sure anyone can add to that ;)

I know I know. The edits to Stans page post Cyprus II were classic :pac: Anyone know if theyre archived somewhere?

As for S Ireland, we need him quite simply, petulant or not. Dare I say it, Ireland 2002-04 needed the ageing Roy Keane less than we need Stephen in the present.

It would make good sense for him to come back before Italy. Right now a steady place in Man City is as guaranteed as working for a budget airline. Get back, pull off a phoenomonal performance against the Italians and he gets his name out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Fúck Stephen Ireland! We should stick to the players that have turned up for Traps first 5 games and trust them to be good enough to pull us through (even McShane). Campaigns are destablised by players just dropping in an expecting to accepted as tho nothing has happened. Let him stay back in Manchester. There must be something in the water over there that turns Irish players into chicken-shíts and traitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He's just scored for Man City so i think we should re-open this debate once again with this latest development. I think we ask him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

If Ireland can keep this form I wonder how much his transfer price would be?

If your man Fellini was 15 million, then Ireland would have to be at least that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea i'd say about 12-15 million or so if he keeps up this form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I doubt it. If he leaves it'll be because he was 2nd choice to someone else and ya dont really command those sort of fees being a player of Ireland's quality as a backup.

yeah with Citys money he's playing to be part of their future plans. unless Real Madrid come calling...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

shane86 wrote: »
    I know I know. The edits to Stans page post Cyprus II were classic :pac: Anyone know if theyre archived somewhere?

If oyu can find the dates roughly around the time you mean you can find them by clicking on the link for last at that date/time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Steve_Staunton&offset=20080702133616&action=history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,638 ✭✭✭✭L1011

monkey9 wrote: »
    He's just scored for Man City so i think we should re-open this debate once again with this latest development. I think we ask him again.

Against Brighton, admittedly.

Although after the result, that does make it seem worth more :D:D According to mates who were in the stadium it was a horrifically soft goal too - should be on UTV in the highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As good a player as Niko Kranjcar already imo. They're very similar players. He's 2 years younger and Kranjcar is supposed to be worth £10m+. His current form is probably better than anything Kranjcar has produced for Portsmouth.

Another similar player would probably be Hleb? Ireland is potentially that good I'd say. He just doesn't give the ball away. When played in the centre he has shown he can dominate and he's now producing the end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He is an extremely talented player. He could be a top 4 club player, and is likely to be I think. He is too talented for Ireland to miss out on. The Irish management should make every effort to get him playing. I don't give a **** if he plays for pride of country or just for ego, we need him playing. Luckily, theres no doubt that Trap knows this and is doing everything he can to make it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree with PHB. He is in terrific form at the minute and would be a massive asset to the Irish team.

I wonder if Richard Dunne has actually said anything to the guy about returning to the fold. I'm sure they've spoken about it in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The fact of the matter is Ireland is a great player in fantastic form at the moment and it's something that we can't say very often about our squad. However, would Trap even play him if he came back? One of most talented and naturally gifted footballers (Andy Reid) can't even get a game from the bench at the moment. I'm really not sure if Ireland the type of player that Trap would have in his team.

I just hope if he does come back he does so during the campaign and not if (and know that's a big IF) we qualify.

And as for whether or not he's a weirdo for pulling down his shorts after scoring, didn't he do that just a game or two after his Granny died, no sorry his other Granny, no sorry again when his girlfriend had a miscarriage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

We're really talking about 2 completely different levels of quality with Ireland and Reid though, if he was willing to play, he automatically should be, regardless of the current system. I know England have had problems with trying to fit players into their system, but unfortunately we don't have the same sort of pool of players that they have of a high quality, and theres no doubting that whatever system we play should accomodate our best player.

Just to clear things up a small bit.

Stephen isn't vocally anti-Ireland or anything.
    the only reason that he considered trying to play for Italy or England, is that he had a massive bust up with Brian Kerr at underage level.
    It ended with Kerr telling him that he'd never play for Ireland under him.
    Shortly afterwards Kerr was named Senior manager, and again reiterated to Stephen that he'd never play under him.
    Stephen looked into the England and Italy set-up, before deciding to not try, and stick it out hoping that Kerr wouldn't last too long.

He just said he has no plans to return but wouldn't rule it out. Wouldn't expect to see him for a few more years now. Dissapointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

PHB wrote: »
    He is an extremely talented player. He could be a top 4 club player, and is likely to be I think. He is too talented for Ireland to miss out on. The Irish management should make every effort to get him playing. I don't give a **** if he plays for pride of country or just for ego, we need him playing. Luckily, theres no doubt that Trap knows this and is doing everything he can to make it happen.

No he isn't. He asked once, SI said no, case closed.

You would swear we were talking about Pele the way some of you are going on. Good player, we could do with him, but not worth the hassle

What you are all missing here is that SI does not want the hassle of playing for his country. Its a Cork thing. Why are we still wasting bandwith talking about it. He has made his choice, move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City's Player of the Month for September

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Its a Cork thing.

honestly, that is just a stupid thing to say. idiotic comment :rolleyes:

the thing with ireland and onyd is right, his return wouldn't change us all that much especially with Trap in charge.

the thing with ireland and onyd is right, his return wouldn't change us all that much especially with Trap in charge.

Crap tbh. He would be in the team ahead of Whelan.

Whelan - Poor standard international midfielder, can't get a game for Stoke.

Ireland - Player of the Month for a top 6 Premiership team while also playing in Europe.

Of course his return would change us.

Do you honestly think Trap would play Steven Reid and Ireland in the same midfield? He's better than both of them but he's not going to drop Steven Reid because he offers a more commanding presence than Ireland.

on a somewhat related note, he's actually pretty well spoken.

• Advertisement

Do you honestly think Trap would play Steven Reid and Ireland in the same midfield? He's better than both of them but he's not going to drop Steven Reid because he offers a more commanding presence than Ireland.

Yes! Any right minded manager would.

Have you actually watched 90 minutes of a City game this season when Ireland has played in the middle of the park? His defensive work is superb (see his last ditch tackle on Defoe last week having chased him for 50 yards) and his passing is fantastic (as good as if not better than A. Reid's).

A midfield of S. Reid and Ireland would have at the 2010 World Cup via the playoffs.

So do you think if Ireland came back Trapattoni would have him in central midfield?

Maby ahead of McGeady on the left or right but thats it in my opinion.

Do you think Glenn Whelan is good enough to keep him out of central midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

So do you think if Trapattoni came back Ireland would be in the team in central midfield?

Maby ahead of McGeady on the left or right but thats it in my opinion.
    It's not that difficult to envisage to be honest. You seem to see Ireland as an Andy Reid type midfielder. He's way more than that though. He's better than Glen Whelan in every way. Why would you start Whelan?

I know what type of player he is. I actually think his style is similar to Perrotta's although much better.

All I can say is that (hopefully if he returned) Trapattoni would see Irelands physique(which he seems to have done with A.Reid) and say this guy is more than capable of playing in the middle with Reid. If it was me I would have S.Reid, Andy Reid and Ireland in midfield, with Garvan pushing in, but seeing Traps decisions so far I doubt he would have a player like Ireland in the midfield with Steven Reid.
    Do you think Glenn Whelan is good enough to keep him out of central midfield?

No but so far the formula has worked so I don't see Trap rushing to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Pighead wrote: »
    It's not that difficult to envisage to be honest. You seem to see Ireland as an Andy Reid type midfielder. He's way more than that though. He's better than Glen Whelan in every way. Why would you start Whelan?
    I hope Il Trap doesn't some kind of sense of loyalty to the players like the one's that previous manager's have had that managed to keep Kevin Kilbane in the side for 50 competitive games even through some very poor spells. Glen Whelan played well but that that shouldn't mean we don't try other players there.

As for Steven Ireland, watching that FF interview, he's seems like a bit of an egotistical arse. But he looks to have gotten himself in great shape and would be a great addition to the Ireland set-up. An partnership with an in-form Steven Reid would be mouth-watering. If what it takes is to lick his behind and beg him to come back I think Il Trap should do it.

Ireland, Andy Reid, Steven Reid McGeady and Duff is and would be miles better than Croatia's midfield. Now if only we had Eduardo and their left back.

Good interview with Stevie from the Telegraph -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/3092938/Stephen-Ireland-revels-in-Manchester-City-shake-up-Football.html
    Stephen Ireland revels in Manchester City shake-up

The Irishman's talent is blossoming just as the Abu Dhabi takeover promises near-limitless funds.

So it would be a mistake to imagine that City’s expertise at youth development began only in 1998, when Jim Cassell left Oldham for Maine Road. That said, Cassell’s directorship of the academy has produced an exceptional clutch of graduates for the current squad: Shaun Wright-Phillips and Micah Richards of England, Michael Johnson and Nedum Onuoha of England U-21s, Daniel Sturridge of England U-19s, Ched Evans of Wales and — by no means least — Stephen Ireland of Ireland. Choosing not to represent his country at present. Just revelling in events at his club.

Ireland, a rare talent blossoming just as the Abu Dhabi takeover promises near-limitless funds for Mark Hughes to build on the signing of Robinho from Real Madrid, may find it difficult — for all the help expected in January — to match Giggs’s haul of trophies. Fortunately, he is accustomed to having hard acts to follow. Ireland, aged 22, came to City seven years ago from Cobh Ramblers, the club which spawned Roy Keane and, in his own way — a markedly less assertive way — struck observers as special. I remember first seeing Ireland. It was at Fulham and, though still a teenager, he displayed a veteran’s vision as well as exquisite technique in letting the ball cross his body before instantly bouncing it wide to a fellow youngster, the winger Lee Croft (now at Norwich), who, using the time and space Ireland had created, ran on to score.

''It meant a lot to me, that,’’ Ireland recalled on Friday. He had naturally been keen to impress the then manager, Stuart Pearce. But how times had changed. ''A lot,’’ he said. ''For the better.’’ Ireland has seen Pearce give way to Sven-Goran Eriksson, and Thaksin Shinawatra, who replaced Eriksson with Hughes, sell out to Khaldoon Al Mubarak, and what makes the impish midfielder’s eyes sparkle is not so much Arab money — not at this stage — but the aura of Hughes. Talk of a summer move to Sunderland had been quickly squashed: ''He just told me I was staying and that did a lot for me. It helped me to focus. Yes, I’d heard nice things from other managers. But from Mark Hughes it meant a lot more. He doesn’t talk all the time but when he does talk everyone listens. He’s strong and no one is bigger than the club. Even Robinho has to graft.’’

The atmosphere at training had changed. ''Don’t get me wrong about Sven,’’ said Ireland. ''He’s a good manager. But in his time it was turn up, boots on, train, boots off, home.’’ Now the training ground was a second home. The fans were not allowed in. ''It’s our place. We get in early and have a game of pool or computer game before training. It’s like being part of a family, so relaxed. Everyone’s close and you learn a lot about each other.’’ All this sounds very like the Fortress Carrington mentality Ferguson has fostered at United — but then City hired Hughes for his experience as well as his character.

Under the new regime his transfer market acumen, exemplified by the acquisition of Roque Santa Cruz for Blackburn, could help shoot City into the top four. As Ireland, who believes either City or Aston Villa will break through this season, said: ''I think if we’re sitting in a nice position at Christmas we might need a few players to give us that extra edge.’’ And the prospect of even more competition bothered him not a bit. ''I’ve a lot of confidence in my ability and I’ve worked hard over the summer on aspects of my game. I can keep my shirt.’’ After being replaced towards the end of the 6-0 drubbing of Portsmouth last Sunday, he was given a standing ovation. ''I’ve not heard cheers like that for a long time and once you’ve had it you want it again.’’

A few days later a different sound assailed the City players’ ears: that of Hughes’s displeasure with defeat on penalties in the Carling Cup at Brighton. Today they have an opportunity to atone at Wigan and Ireland expressed his impatience: ''Games just can’t come along quickly enough. You don’t even get tired during them.’’ All being well with Robinho after his trip to visit family in Sao Paulo, the Brazilian and the Irishman will resume a relationship which Ireland describes thus: ''It’s best just to trust him with the ball. Just leave him to it, leave him one-on-one and concentrate on getting towards the box because he’s got an end product — he’ll beat his man and get in a cross or a shot. You can just drift away and leave him isolated. It’s like United with Cristiano Ronaldo. You don’t try and do a one-two. You leave them to do their bit. If you go over to support them it’s just going to close down their space. I was amazed and delighted when we got Robinho. I’ve always been a big fan — and he hasn’t disappointed me.’’

Ireland is a quirky character, not without a sense of humour — or a tendency to be naive that led to his infamous acquisition of more sick Irish grannies than the Republic’s then manager, Steve Staunton, deemed feasible. The episode of the dropped shorts and bold pose in Superman underpants when he scored for City against Sunderland last November was less embarrassing — ''I’d promised to do it and Martin Petrov kept saying, 'Come on, come on’ — and although those briefs have been donated to a good cause, he had two more pairs. ''Upgraded — much, much better ones. I’m just waiting for the right moment.’’ The celebration of City’s first trophy of the Hughes era, say? Ireland grinned. ''I didn’t get into too much trouble last time and in future I might not be so lucky. But if the right occasion comes along —nothing’s going to hold me back.’’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Doesnt look like he'll be coming back anytime soon unfortunately. In another article in the guardian he shows he has no desire to return to international football.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/28manchestercity.premierleague

Ireland snubs the Irish

He has not been selected for Ireland since and is quite happy about it. 'I'm unsure about the situation there, for my part I'll never say never, but to be honest I don't miss it,' he says. 'I'm happy doing what I'm doing right now. I've got three young children and my commitments at the moment are to my club and my family. International football takes you away from home, and at the moment I feel I'm better off being away from it. I enjoy my life at the moment and I don't really want to change it, though as I say you should never say never.'

IMO he sounds like a spoilt little Me feiner. Does anybody know if him and Richie Dunne get on personally? I cant imagine that Richie hasnt been pressuring him to return.

Spoilt little me feiner cause he doesn't want to be away from his young family? Come on now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Spoilt little me feiner cause he doesn't want to be away from his young family? Come on now :rolleyes:

Yes, a spoilt little me feiner. Its clear his country needs him yet he is still snubbing them. Most lads would give their right arm to represent their country yet this fella cant even be arsed to spare a day or two away from his missus.
    I enjoy my life at the moment and I don't really want to change it

I also recall his comments on his bebo page about him hating football and saying it was boring.... cant find it now but there is a reference to it on this website.
    http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=321316

I guess some things are just more important to him than football. Nothing wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I guess some things are just more important to him than football. Nothing wrong with that.

+1

I said on here a couple of years ago that many more footballers will start to snub the International scene.

Nobody batted an eyelid when Alan Shearer spent the last five years of his career out of the England team, when they clearly needed a goalscorer like him, or Paul Scholes, who'd still walk into the England midfield.

No, International football is beginning to matter less and less to players, and I can't blame them tbh. It's farcical at times.

I dunno, its beyond a joke at this stage. The FAI have treated him nothing but the utmost respect, (arranged for a private flight home when he told them his granny was dead etc) and this is a major snub in their, and every irish football fan's face and its getting to the point where I think a line should be drawn under things.

Then let it be drawn. that's not a decision for Stephen Ireland to make though. The flak the guy is getting is ridiculous.

allybhoy wrote: »
    every irish football fan's face
    :confused::confused:

I'm Irish. I'm a fan of an Irish team. I'm an Irish football fan every day of the week, not just six weeks of the year when the Ireland team happen to be playing.

I couldn't give a shiney shíte if Stephen Ireland plays for Oirland or not.

It's funny people talking about Stephen Ireland snubbing Irish football, when they do the exact same thing.

Hypocrite much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's a fantastic footballer.

Sure if the FAI really wanted Ireland back they'd call him up. He would have to turn up.

Fairs fcuks to the chap, telling the FAI to fcuk off. Wish more would do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Des wrote: »
    +1

I said on here a couple of years ago that many more footballers will start to snub the International scene.

Nobody batted an eyelid when Alan Shearer spent the last five years of his career out of the England team, when they clearly needed a goalscorer like him, or Paul Scholes, who'd still walk into the England midfield.

No, International football is beginning to matter less and less to players, and I can't blame them tbh. It's farcical at times.

Big difference between Ireland's refusal, and the retirement of Scholes and Shearer. The latter two gave years for their country, and really were stepping down to pro-long their carears. Both were also leaving England in good shape personal wise. However, it is clear that we are devoid of creativity in midfield, and crying out for his services.

But like I have said previously, I really couldn't care what 'Daddy Dick decides to do.

Look more into the reasons why Scholes retired. ;)

• Advertisement

Il Trap and Tardelli in the crowd at the game today........

Advertisement