Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland for Ireland!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Des wrote: »
    Look more into the reasons why Scholes retired. ;)

He retired to pro-long his playing days at OT. This may have been brought about becasue he was getting fcuked around selection wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Look more into the reasons why Scholes retired. ;)

i thought it was that he was pissed off at being played on the left when he was their most consistent and pretty much only creative midfielder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What it blins down to is that Scholes wasn't happy with the manager.

If people would "give their right ball" to play for their country, they should be happy no matter what position they play in.

But Scholes snubbing England is ok, while Ireland snubbing Oirland is not.

What it blins down to is that Scholes wasn't happy with the manager.

If people would "give their right ball" to play for their country, they should be happy no matter what position they play in.

But Scholes snubbing England is ok, while Ireland snubbing Oirland is not.

Difference is, he still gave them a fair number of years, and stuck it out for quite some time whilst being jerked around. I think that's all you can ask for. Ireland is being petulant to the extreme, and maximisng this 'bullying' lark to get off. The whole granny fiasco illustrated that he would use anything to get off intl. duty.

Petulant? WTF?

He said he didn't want to play, he's not playing.

Anyway.

The manager is at the match this afternoon. I'd say he's there to speak to Ireland himself.

Can't wait to see the clowns booing him if he does come back.

• Advertisement

Petulant? WTF?

He said he didn't want to play, he's not playing.

By drumming up all sorts of excuses to justify his decision.

"All sorts" of excuses?

What, excuse me?

There was Grannygate, fair enough.

But he has since said that he was subject to bullying. Some believe, some don't. I don't care either way.

But he hasn't made any other excuses, as far as I am aware.

Apart from the fact that he wants to spend time with his family.

Well, if that's a crime, then I should be in prison, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

:confused::confused:

It's funny people talking about Stephen Ireland snubbing Irish football, when they do the exact same thing.

Hypocrite much?

Listen the fact that nobody attends LOI games is a different thread entirely and tbh has been covered plenty on boards. Trying to compare Stephen Ireland snubbing his country to Irish people not paying over inflated prices to go and see a poor standard of football is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Do you think Glenn Whelan is good enough to keep him out of central midfield?

Yes. On the basis that Glenn Whelan has made himself available for selection.

Your loyalty is admirable here Xavi, but the simple fact is SI has acted the runt and is no loss to the squad, whose moral Traps has worked hard to improve after the Bobby Staunton debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes. On the basis that Glenn Whelan has made himself available for selection.

Your loyalty is admirable here Xavi, but the simple fact is SI has acted the runt and is no loss to the squad, whose moral Traps has worked hard to improve after the Bobby Staunton debacle.

If you think Ireland is no loss to the Irish squad than you are living in cloud cookoo land I am afraid. The lad has frightening talent.

He is one the of the best young (22) central midfielders not just in England but in Europe. Trapp was at the game today and for the sake of Irish soccer I hope they have a good sit down.

I rate Ireland very very highly, world class potential and I am a United Fan. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

allybhoy wrote: »
    Listen the fact that nobody attends LOI games is a different thread entirely and tbh has been covered plenty on boards. Trying to compare Stephen Ireland snubbing his country to Irish people not paying over inflated prices to go and see a poor standard of football is nonsense.

I like Celtic but oh god the irony.

Boggles wrote: »
    If you think Ireland is no loss to the Irish squad than you are living in cloud cookoo land I am afraid. The lad has frightening talent.

He is good and we could do with him, but he doesn't want to be there. I played at a high enough standard to know that talent is useless if a guy is disruptive and alienates himself from the rest of the team. Trapp needs to rebuild confidence as much as he needs talent on the park. SI would be detrimental to that.
    Boggles wrote: »
    He is one the of the best young (22) central midfielders not just in England but in Europe. Trapp was at the game today and for the sake of Irish soccer I hope they have a good sit down.

Jesus wept. They did. SI said no. A manager of Trapps calibre does not ask twice. Why are we flogging this dead horse? He will never play for Ireland again, and thats before his quotes in today's newspapers.

wouldn't say that I hated playing for Ireland. I just feel I'm better off away from it." from the interview today.

Thats it then I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

:confused::confused:

I'm Irish. I'm a fan of an Irish team. I'm an Irish football fan every day of the week, not just six weeks of the year when the Ireland team happen to be playing.

I couldn't give a shiney shíte if Stephen Ireland plays for Oirland or not.

It's funny people talking about Stephen Ireland snubbing Irish football, when they do the exact same thing.

Hypocrite much?

:rolleyes: Here we go, the Im a better fan than you old chestnut.....

National football means more to alot of fans than club football (be it Shels or Chelsea), simple as. A club is a team you pick, often not because it is the nearest one. You are born with your country team. So it is not too surprising people care about it more than the funking first division.

You are honestly saying as an Irish football fan that you would be more overjoyed seeing Shels lift a domestic title than, say, Ireland win a tournament?

Whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

shane86 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Here we go, the Im a better fan than you old chestnut.....

National football means more to alot of fans than club football (be it Shels or Chelsea), simple as. A club is a team you pick, often not because it is the nearest one. You are born with your country team. So it is not too surprising people care about it more than the funking first division.

You are honestly saying as an Irish football fan that you would be more overjoyed seeing Shels lift a domestic title than, say, Ireland win a tournament?

Whatever.

I actually think a lot of people would choose club over country.

/wanders off to start thread with poll

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I actually think a lot of people would choose club over country.

/wanders off to start thread with poll

+1 No Competition.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If he doesn't want to play for Ireland, he doesn't want to play for Ireland. Thats his choice, he should be allowed to make it. He should not be slated for not wanting to play for them and why should he? Its his career, he can do whatever he likes with it.

Sure it would be nice to have a proven Premiership player in the squad, but thats just the way it goes. I would have no problems with him being selected in future if he declared himself available to play for Ireland.

He made some weird excuses to get him out of playing, but that was down to immaturity in my opinion. He was only 21 at the time and clearly hadn't been enjoying it although he played very very well. I'm sure he will change his mind at some stage when he realises what he can achieve with Ireland like playing in the biggest tournament of all, the World Cup. It would be nice have that in your footballing legacy.

Its frustrating I agree, but if he doesn't want to play there is nothing that can be done about it. The door should ALWAYS be left open, for ANY player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Howd he play yesterday?

Trilla wrote: »
    Howd he play yesterday?

Stand out player in an all round brutal City performance.

• Advertisement

From an article on MCFC.co.uk -
    Turning to himself, the 22-year-old has impressed many with his stamina and tireless running this season, and he puts that down to the work he did over the summer.

I wanted a few days off before I got back into the training ahead of pre-season, but because the Middlesbrough defeat was such a heavy one I started straight away. I knew from the hard work I’d put in I’d feel the benefits.

"I spent six weeks in the summer working on this and thankfully it has paid off. I feel very fit, much stronger and I feel like I can run all day.

"I did a bit of powerlifting as well, but it was really enjoyable and I’m still doing it twice a week now. I can see the benefits and the changes during the game, whatever you put in, you get out.

"I’m really happy I got the award and I worked really hard to get into the team and now I’m working hard to try and stay in the team. I’ve got to keep that going now for the next month and the month after so it’s really important that I stay consistent."

Well done Stevie. All the hard work is certainly paying off.

i think what irks me most is the excuses he;s made over the years rather than coming out and just saying flat out that he has no interest in playing international football.

HE has so far:

- Refused to play because of Brian Kerr

- Refused to play because his "granny died"

- Refused to play becuse "the lads teased him because he's goin bald".

Just be honest and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

thing that pisses me off the most is it was that useless **** mcShane that was at fault for the bullying you would think he would know better him being ginger and all.

Ireland is a fantastic footballer and it is our loss.

Hahahhahahahaha....fair play Macca.

And yes, anyone who thinks he's no loss is talking rubbish. Ireland is a massive loss for us.

There is nothing to suggest that Ireland would automatically stroll into the Irish team if he was to come back. He's a big loss for us but I doubt Trap would have him in the team straight away.

There is nothing to suggest that Ireland would automatically stroll into the Irish team if he was to come back. He's a big loss for us but I doubt Trap would have him in the team straight away.

Absolutely but on current form he;s the best central midfielder eligible to play for us.

I'd rather a team of Kilbanes, a guy who puts his heart and soul into playing for us though to be honest.

This thread from 365 should interest most in this debate. First page is light hearted banter, but after that, there are some strong arguments on both sides of the Ireland debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Stephen Ireland is possibly the most talented Irish midfielder in a generation.

I hadn't known that McShane had a part in all of this, but I know which player I would want in and which I would be happy never to see wear a green shirt again.

• Advertisement

....Paul McShane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

....Paul McShane.
    Huh?

you would rather paul mcshane over SI surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

estie, are you ****ing for real?

Ireland is possibly the on form midfielder playing in the PL at the minute, and McShane is a pile of ****e.

come on he's played well for hull, all be it at right back and actually takes pride playing in the green jersey.

Stephen Manchester on the other hand is a clown.

international football is built around that, if it was anything else its pointless. look at messi, didn't give a **** what barca said, he wanted to play in the olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i dont like Ireland either. but in terms of ability there is no competition, which is wat i thought you were implying.

• Advertisement

i like ireland the player and still want to see him do well for his club.

come on he's played well for hull, all be it at right back and actually takes pride playing in the green jersey.

Stephen Manchester on the other hand is a clown.

international football is built around that, if it was anything else its pointless. look at messi, didn't give a **** what barca said, he wanted to play in the olympics.

Quit your inflamatory bollox will you? FFS that's a terribly juvenile comment.

Quit your inflamatory bollox will you? FFS that's a terribly juvenile comment.

Almost as juvenile as Stepehen Irelands behaviour. But not quite.

Yet not quite as juvenile as your attempt to somehow link the two.

Yet not quite as juvenile as your attempt to somehow link the two.

Good one Jeremy.

If you are going to bring the concept of juvenile behaviour into this thread SI and his infantile behaviour is going to be mentioned.

• Advertisement

Look he doesn't want to play so leave it at that. It's just rehashing arguments that have been well covered. As long as he keeps putting in man of the match performances for City then I'm happy.

Shay Given
    I can't understand it.

"I don't know what his reasons are. I don't see why he shouldn't be playing.

"Every game people keep asking that question, but as a football player it's a short enough career.

"In my opinion, to play for your country is one of the proudest things you'll ever do in your life. For him not to want to play for his country? There's people out fighting wars for their country. You play a game of football, it's an absolute honour."

Advertisement