Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Ian Poff

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I know, done to death, this, but still, never fails to amaze..

Just booked a car rental for the weekend.

Irish site: 115.71 Euro
    UK site: 66 pounds (equivalent at todays exchange of 82.9757 Euro)

same company. same car, same everything.

Even allowing for the VAT difference, it surely don't add up to 32 euros difference (if my maths don't deceive me, thats a markup of +30%)...

simply astonishing really.... just shows the contempt some companies have for their customers.

FBP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Its always the same. What is the car company?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

You haven't factored in VRT (which they don't have in UK), higher insurance & wage costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

ongarite wrote: »
    You haven't factored in VRT (which they don't have in UK), higher insurance & wage costs.

But the rental is in the same country.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I assume if/when the Euro takes a dive against the pound we will have rafts of threads saying how great it is we get stuff cheaper than the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

But the rental is in the same country.

Apologies, I read it as renting car in UK v Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Stekelly wrote: »
    I assume if/when the Euro takes a dive against the pound we will have rafts of threads saying how great it is we get stuff cheaper than the uk?

By your quote, I take it that you believe the Euro against the pound difference to make up an excess of 30% difference in the price between here and the UK for the SAME service from the SAME company then ? Ok, if that is the case, why is the price on the french site of the same company coming in at 88 Euro and not the 115 euro ????

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

fatboypee wrote: »
    I know, done to death, this, but still, never fails to amaze..

Just booked a car rental for the weekend.

Irish site: 115.71 Euro
    UK site: 66 pounds (equivalent at todays exchange of 82.9757 Euro)

same company. same car, same everything.

Even allowing for the VAT difference, it surely don't add up to 32 euros difference (if my maths don't deceive me, thats a markup of +30%)...

simply astonishing really.... just shows the contempt some companies have for their customers.

FBP.

Ugghhh ....... And?

I Booked a ferry with Stena Line from the Hook of Holland to Harwich a few months ago

I booked on the UK site and paid in Sterling, saved me 80 euros as the Irish site and the Dutch site for the same product were more expensive.

Book it in Sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

craichoe wrote: »
    Ugghhh ....... And?

I Booked a ferry with Stena Line from the Hook of Holland to Harwich a few months ago

I booked on the UK site and paid in Sterling, saved me 80 euros as the Irish site and the Dutch site for the same product were more expensive.

Book it in Sterling

I did.. My point is simply amazement that they have such contempt as to do this, knowing full well that some (albeit maybe a minority) people will check different sites. just bad business practise imho.

Advertisement