Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

root canal and filling?

• 23-09-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi! was at the dentist there recently and he said i needed two root canals done. there are fillings in the two teeth already, and he said on the day of the root canal treatments the fillings would be removed and replaced with white. now on this forum however loads of posts seem to be saying that if you get a root canal you should nearly have a crown by default? or am i understanding that right? there was no mention of a crown but the fillings are big at the moment on both teeth (back molars) any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

any root canal treatment i had in the past was just filled. but i now need something similar to yourself on a backmolar and i fear i need a root treatment done on a previously filled tooth so im interested in hearing the answers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I have just finished root canal treatment. My dentist did it over a couple of visits. It is lower mid-back. While there is only one canal, they never know until they "go in there". When the work was finished I had one final visit for a "covering" or white filling, to cover the filled root which I was told would last many years! The dentist never mentioned a crown but for appearance sake, if the job was being done on a front tooth, then I would imagine a crown would be the only option but certainly, not for back teeth. I got a root canal done some years back, it was upper, fourth tooth back, and had a similar white filling and it looks perfect. You can discuss this with your dentist. The average cost for each canal is about €280 and if you are paying PRSI the contribution is about €80.

I would recommend it but if you can find a dentist who will do it over a few visits it is much easier. Mine worked out perfect with no pain at all!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

suitseir thanks a mil for your reply, i am so reassured to hear you didn't have pain as well as i was very nervous about that. the dentist is going to do the root canal and final filling on the same day, is that unusual? i prefer to have it over and done with anyway tbh! is there any other advantage to having it done over a few visits or do you know? glad yours worked out well anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Have app for root canal next month,
    cost E900, only 1 visit,
    have been told it will be crowned after 3 months.

Will be given form to claim tax relief,

Am I being done!

?????Do they use a device to hold your mouth open
    as it takes 2 hours,dentist told me to bring an i pod!
    Am so nervous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

I was told by two different dentists around 4 months ago and 8 months ago that i need to get fillings on my bottom mollars within at the least 2 months or i'll have to get root canal...

thing is I have One filling on a mollar at the moment, but thats the ONLY one that hurts from time to time.... so im a bit apprehensive... (I really really dont believe in dentistry)

should I go in and get the damn fillings or is it too late?

my teeth are fine...and i dont trust dentists (not in the wa like ooooh, a drill...oh no!.......more like, stealing my god damn money and ur doing FECK ALL....UR JUST BRUSHING MY TEETH, PUTTING A POINTY THING IN MY GUMS, AND LECTURING ME ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF FLOSSING!!! FFS!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

don't go silienceisbliss,

those nasty dentists will only try and rob you.

if you wait till the pain starts and then go, you'll get root canals and fillings/crowns or maybe extractions

thats better value for your money!

those dentists were just trying to help you and them avoid root canals.Scumbags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭mountain

the phrase ROOT CANAL flashed in front of me, and i had to reply.

Had it donw once about 5 years ago and it was horrific!!!

Went twice, could feel the needles being stuck in and out, and a few times he hit a nerve, loads of injections.

never again, not trying to scare you, but dont say you werent told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

mountain wrote: »
    the phrase ROOT CANAL flashed in front of me, and i had to reply.

Had it donw once about 5 years ago and it was horrific!!!

Went twice, could feel the needles being stuck in and out, and a few times he hit a nerve, loads of injections.

never again, not trying to scare you, but dont say you werent told.
    You have a very bad dentist then,common myth that root canals are painful because years ago they were but nowadays you don't feel a thing,I had one there last month and the part that was the hardest was keeping my mouth open for 45 minutes(that and the pain in my wallet) - no pain whatsoever,if you ever do feel pain though tell your dentist and he'll put more anesthetic on.

Its only the bad root canals you hear about very rare you hear the good ones,its a standard procedure only pain will be in your back pocket :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

BryanL wrote: »
    don't go silienceisbliss,

those nasty dentists will only try and rob you.

if you wait till the pain starts and then go, you'll get root canals and fillings/crowns or maybe extractions

thats better value for your money!

those dentists were just trying to help you and them avoid root canals.Scumbags!

i knew it...thanks! ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

In case you missed it, he is taking the piss out of your stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had one in a front tooth and it is fine and didnt need a crown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Had tw root canals in March, first one didn't hurt at all, second one was a pain in the head for, literally, a day which went away almost completely with paracetemol. Possibly because they were longish-term and the nerves were already fúcked, I dunno tbh.

Both were done in a single sitting, €890 a pop. Neither has been crowned, although the filling on the furthest tooth back has deteriorated as the tooth is chipped and will need attention soon I'd say.

I can definately reccommend the dentist, put me at ease (I had been of the belief that it was not going to be possible to get me to sit and take the injections) and in the end felt sweet fúck all. Anyone wants the details just throw me a PM. (Dentist is based in Dublin 3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just throwing it out there, wouldn't getting an implant instead of a root canal now be cheaper in the long run and a better solution?
    I've two implants and they just feel like normal teeth with the added benefit that they'll never need fillings.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

hi! i wonder if anyone has any advice for me on this! well i got one root canal done, and can assure anyone the procedure itself is definitly pain free, just uncomfortable. but now its been done for a few days, the day it was done and the day after i had little pain, just sore gum surrounding the tooth and a strange feeling in the tooth just like after any dental filling etc. now today and yesterday the tooth has gotten progressivly sorer and is throbbing now even after neurofen. can anyone tell me how long recovery will take? i'm gunna have a quiet long weekend i think at this rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If it's still painful a few days later, pop back to the dentist asap. They'll fit you in for a quick look tomorrow if they're any use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 peterworn

Hi friend,

I think you have to go at special dentist and take the treatment of it. And take care of it. I hope you did it.

Advertisement