Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid/light/well designed bike carrier

Options
  • 23-09-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    i need a bike carreir/rack for carrying a bag o nteh bag of teh bike, a rack that clamps to the seat post or over the back wheel would be perfect.
    any recommendations guys?
    thanks
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Do you know if you have mounting points for a rack on your bike? If so you will be best off getting a rack that fits to these, it supports the weight best (better the weight is supported under the rack than to the side.)

I got a TorTec Ultralite Rear Rack for my tourer recently as I was looking for something as light as possible and this is only 400g. Seems very sturdy indeed and no problem carrying panniers. It also has a handy light mount (most but not all racks have this.)

If you don't have mounts seat-post mount racks, P-clips on the frame, or saddle bags are options.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

tubus fly cant be beat. Toured thousands of kms with one on racer and never a problem. Really light, strong and even look good or as good as a carrier can anyway. Think you can get then in wiggle or evans

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

blorg wrote: »
    I got a TorTec Ultralite Rear Rack for my tourer recently as I was looking for something as light as possible and this is only 400g. Seems very sturdy indeed and no problem carrying panniers. It also has a handy light mount (most but not all racks have this.)

Most TorTec ones have the light mount.

That's not a bad rack (esp. weight wise) but beware that if you're carrying heavier panniers then you should get a rack with more stays.

I.e. this design vs this one: tortec%20tour%20ultralight%20rack.jpgtortec-expedition-rack-main.jpg

(the latter is twice the weight though)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@Trojan- I did consider from the look of the thing whether there might be any issue with the stays keeping the panniers out of the rear wheel but in use there has been absolutely no problem. It's rated to 25kg and I'd certainly well trust it up to that amount. Weight was a primary concern for me though, as the bike it was going onto was very much a "light" tourer and I wanted to keep the weight as low as possible for unladen use (the bike is around 9.5kg IIRC.)

If weight is not a concern though the other rack you link there has the advantage of carrying the panniers lower down, off the top of the rack, which should lower the center of gravity and provide better handling, while also keeping the top of the rack free for other stuff (the tops of the panniers protruding can sometimes be an issue if you are trying to strap other stuff on the top portion of the rack.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

tubus fly is 340g and holds 18kg but i've carried a lot more than this on just one side and still perfect
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=12641

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If the rack is going on an MTB I'd recommend getting a 'long' one so your heels don't clip the pannier when you're moving. I've a Blackburn TR-1 Trail Rack and Dawes Universal Pannier on my Trek MTB, and the pannier needs to be at the extreme rear position to avoid clipping. Other than that I've no complaints.

Advertisement