Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fedex duty and VAt on goods

Options
  • 23-09-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

guys i know this thread has being put up before but i think with all the shopping that is done online we need to be aware of the following
    if you good are shipped with FEDEX you will be billed to pay VAT and duty and a admin charge
    I got the bill from FEDEX did not pay and then got one for a debt collecting company in uk
    I was acked to pay €10 euro to fedex as a admin charge for them collecting VAT for revenue and i belive this is a way of FEDEX making money ie 100000 deliverys = million and there is no proof that they passed on the VAt and duty
    This was my responce to fedex and in the end did not have to pay
    "
    As the shipper states " Import Duty and Tax is the responsibility of you
    the recipient to pay" so where dose it say for fedex to pay???
    That dose not give fedex the right to act on my behalf and i have not
    agreed to accept you to act on my behalf
    After getting the letter form Avance yesterday i meet with my soclitor
    this morning and here is my legal position
    1.Fedex should have informed me of this before dispatching it from the
    depot.
    2. Or, the courier should of had an invoice with him stating the duty
    charged and should of not given me the package without payment of the
    duty.
    3. Once I signed for it and had the item it became my property and was
    no longer theirs so therefore could not charge any further charges.
    4. Informed them that other couriers ie. DHL will not release goods
    without duty paid and inform you of charges before dispatch.
    5) There is no transpancey in to what Fedex is doing and it need to be
    regulated which i now intend to follow up with revenue

He also informed me that he belives that fedex have breached the Data
    Protection laws in Ireland
    http://www.dataprotection.ie by giving my
    Detail to Avance and i now require the contract that Fedex have with
    Avance so i can get the Data Protection commissioner in ireland to
    review this case
    http://www.dataprotection.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

If ye are importing from outside of the EU, especially the states or China see if the supplier (unlikely if its an individual) will cut you a price for a DDP shipment. This basically means delivered duties & taxes paid. All you will be left with is an admin charge for customs clearance. Usually all imports are duty unpaid so you pay additional taxes, etc if it's liable.
    Fedex are reknowned for pulling this. Even to businesses. I'm constantly getting bills from Fedex for clearance charges even though they do not have the companies clearance cert number for customs / imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Did the solicitor cost more than a tenner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭rkevin

SetantaL wrote: »
    Did the solicitor cost more than a tenner?
    no he is a very good friend
    but if u think this is about a tenner u are so off the point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

rkevin wrote: »
    I was acked to pay €10 euro to fedex as a admin charge for them collecting VAT for revenue and i belive this is a way of FEDEX making money ie 100000 deliverys = million and there is no proof that they passed on the VAt and duty
    They are allowed by law (as is any such company) to charge up to 15 Euro admin fee. Stop your whining and vote in a new set of people in power if you're so damn upset instead of throwing a hissy fit over the fact you're forced to follow the law on imports.

Oh and in reply to the other thread you posted in about ****ting bricks, not really, it is a question of cost vs. risk. Look up the Ford case in US and burning cars to get an inkling of how the calculation is done.

Advertisement