Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wireless router?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I have an NTL cable modem, model number E08C007, since September 2005. I want to hook up a new laptop so can anyone advise me on which router would be best? I was thinking of Netgear WGT624 108 mps wireless routerin PCWorld for around €90.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Netgear are ones of the best and you will have little problems setting them up if your confident in your pc skill.
    I have a Netgear myself and have set them up for others. You should be ok with the model your mentioned.
    Netgear as such, is well known and recognised in the wireless business.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Thanks for that, think I'll stick with that one so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You could also use a dLink or a Linksys bu if you have found one youlike then go for it, the Netgear is a reliable brand name.

Any config probs, ask away.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is there much to setting up a router? Is it not just a cast of plugging it into your modem?

Also, can someone recommend a website to get a decent price on one?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Setting up a router is easy enough with a lot of online tutorials about, and the documentation will help - Usually its pretty much plugging it in. If your already getting an IP address from something then the router will work just fine, just need to set some form of security on your wireless and your away! - only complications come in when you need to set static ip addresses for your ISP.

Komplett do good pricing on routers and pixmania but shop around!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks Voodoo.

And is it just a wireless router for a cable modem I have to look out for or are there other specifics?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I have to say that the Netopia that came free with my Eircom connection is a pretty stable brick.

However, I also have a requirement for free phone calls via SIP.

I've had pretty bad experiences with the German Fritz! range of all-in-one routers. I'm using a Draytek Vigor now which is totally solid and feature-full.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

kraggy wrote: »
    Thanks Voodoo.

And is it just a wireless router for a cable modem I have to look out for or are there other specifics?

Ya pretty much - just make sure you see a WAN port mentioned basically you will see 5 RJ45 (Network connections)

Advertisement